den

Who should go into our team of "greats"  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Who should go into our team of "greats"

• Jimmy Forrest
    • Tim Sherwood

OK Den, I give up.

Looks like Forrest has won.

Well done to FLB and his supporters, though I hope this hasn't detracted from or undermined Sherwood's priceless contribution to the gretaest moment we will ever witness as Rovers fans.

Let's move on to left wing.

Scotty Scotty beam us up !!

I actually feel a little sad, Brownie. Even though I didn't vote for Sherwood myself, I reckon yourself and FLB have done a great job and neither deserve to lose. it's also been a bit of a special subject for you, as your lads middle name is Sherwood.

Every credit Brownie, you've done well. thumbs-up.gif

I'll give it a couple more days and if there's no real movement, we'll move on.

Thanks for that Den.

I've always been a big Sherwood fan though even I have to admit, getting selected as one of the best two central midfielders in BRFC history was always going to be a tough ask.

Like I said, more important to me is that TS is remembered with particular affection with our fans, something I suspect that is not the case.

My son wears the No4 shirt for his junior side and is called Sherwood, I feel I have paid significant tribute to our most succesful captain of modern times.

I just wish others would give Sherwood the respect his hard graft and commitment to our Premiership winning campaign deserves.

Congratulations to Jimmy Forrest, FLB and his supporters.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to Jimmy Forrest, FLB and his supporters.

Cheers Brownie and I'll pass on your congratulations to Jimmy if ever I bump into his ghost, maybe he is haunting the area just behind the FA Cup trophy (where a winning captain would raise it from), with a pint of Mild in one hand and a Woodbine in the other. Or, er...as would be more likely, not...

At least this way we have players to cover most of the last 125 years or so. From Forrest in 1880s & 1890s with Crompton taking it up until the Second World War (admittedly as director and manger for much of that time). After t' war Clayton, Douglas and in the 1980s & 1990s Colin Hendry, with Le Saux and bringing it up to date with Freidel. The only full decade since Rovers were formed which doesn't include any representative is the 1970s, which was the worst decade in the history of the club. Then again, Simon Garner joined the club in 1978. If he does get in then we will have a 'Greatest Ever XI' that covers players from every full decade since we were formed (1880s - 2000s), if you include Crompton as the manager in both the twenties and thirties.

Quite a greatest team! One which spans the ages and bridges the decades!

That's unless Sherwood doesn't do a Forrest and 'come back from the dead', so to speak...

Edited by FourLaneBlue

I just wish others would give Sherwood the respect his hard graft and commitment to our Premiership winning campaign deserves.

Like the respect he gave our club eh Brownie

Respect for your efforts of putting forward his case ( jeeps you even made me feel he was half decent for a moment), but don't go over board on that he was legend - as personally I feel you must have been easily pleased but as they say its each to their own opinion.

Will be interesting what you can put forward for Scotty over Duff?

It's basically all over bar the shouting now. Not just on the Sherwood/Forest vote but the whole thing.

I cannot see the next three positions being filled by anybody other than Duff, Shearer and Garner. And quite right too!

Not sure about Garner, Chesh. We'll have to wait and see on that one. Duff was one, if not the best left winger, but does that make him great?

Don't forget it was wilcox that was part of the title winning side, not duff.

It's basically all over bar the shouting now. Not just on the Sherwood/Forest vote but the whole thing.

I cannot see the next three positions being filled by anybody other than Duff, Shearer and Garner. And quite right too!

Not sure about Garner, Chesh. We'll have to wait and see on that one. Duff was one, if not the best left winger, but does that make him great?

Not sure about Duff either.

I can think of a left-winger far more deserving of "great" status, and he's from the modern (post 1930) era too.

Not sure about Duff either.

I can think of a left-winger far more deserving of "great" status, and he's from the modern (post 1930) era too.

Always knew you were a secret admirer of Jason the Jet. wink.gif

You put up a good fight there Brownie.

Certainly beat my shout for Super Atko.

See you on saturday, I'll hold the beer mat at half time.

You do realise you've just confused the nation don't you ?

Don't tell my mates but I'm sick of that bloody beer mat game !

Given teh level of support that Sherwood got, I cannot imagine Duff not getting in. He's probably the best left winger in the world (although that Robben bloke looks half decent as well).

As for Garner not getting in - Methinks you are having a larf.

As for Garner not getting in - Methinks you are having a larf.

That all depends on how you define 'great' though, doesn't it? I think some people are on the verge of picking a cult favourite 11, personally I'm picking who I think was the best player in that position (within reason of course, no Sukurs who were only around a few months for example). Garner wasn't the second best striker we had so he won't be getting my vote...however, people who are defining 'great' differently will have different opinions. I guess that's what makes this poll so interesting.

One thing I hope doesn't happen again though is the argument of 'who won what', if we were going to pick players based on how much they won then a poll wouldn't be needed, just run through the record books and see how many medals each player won and pick it that way.

One thing I hope doesn't happen again though is the argument of 'who won what', if we were going to pick players based on how much they won then a poll wouldn't be needed, just run through the record books and see how many medals each player won and pick it that way.

I follow you there LC. I don't think that HAS happened though. If you look at jimmy Forrest, certainly he won 5 FA cup winners medals, but on top of that he was a local lad who played virtually all of his career with rovers and went onto become a club director.

It's a combination of factors that make a player great.