Photo

Second striker

• This topic is locked This topic is locked (or you're not logged in)
148 replies to this topic

Poll: The second striker. (214 member(s) have cast votes)

The second striker.

1. Matt Jansen (22 votes [10.28%])

Percentage of vote: 10.28%

2. Tommy Briggs (19 votes [8.88%])

Percentage of vote: 8.88%

3. David Speedie (10 votes [4.67%])

Percentage of vote: 4.67%

4. Jack Southworth (12 votes [5.61%])

Percentage of vote: 5.61%

5. Fred Pickering (3 votes [1.40%])

Percentage of vote: 1.40%

6. Roy Vernon (2 votes [0.93%])

Percentage of vote: 0.93%

7. Simon Garner (109 votes [50.93%])

Percentage of vote: 50.93%

8. Andy McEvoy (2 votes [0.93%])

9. John Byrom (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

10. Mike Newell (2 votes [0.93%])

11. Duncan McKenzie (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

12. Chris Sutton (26 votes [12.15%])

Percentage of vote: 12.15%

13. Kevin Gallacher (7 votes [3.27%])

Percentage of vote: 3.27%

Vote

#21 American

American

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8317 posts
  • Location:Another immigrant taking a job from an Englishman in London.

Posted 03 February 2005 - 18:26 PM

QUOTE (Eddie @ Feb 3 2005, 13:10 )
QUOTE (Ste B @ Feb 3 2005, 18:47 )
Jansen a great ??

Greater than Garner, Briggs, Southworth, Speedie, Gallacher, Sutton ???  Bloody hell 10 people think he's greater than Shearer.. what planet are you on ?

Its the same as those who vote for the likes of Robbie Williams in the greatest ever musician polls.  He's still a current player and therefore popular, but probably on a par with Wegerle in the bigger picture.

To be honest you never know with these things, I always vote on the basis that the best I have ever seen play for Rovers.

So my next vote will either be for Sutton or Jansen, in this case Jansen. Shearer got my vote because I had the pleasure of seeing him in a Rovers shirt, if I had become a Rovers supporter within the last 5 years though, then I would have voted for Jansen first up. So you never know with these things.

Then I guess we should rename the squad to best 10 in Eddie's lifetime, instead of best 10 EVER.
Using Latin phrases to sound smart is my modus operandi.

#22 Big A

Big A

Uefa Europa League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1459 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 18:55 PM

I'm leaning towards Briggs at the moment for his goal scoring record in such a short space of time, scoring seven in one game is pretty unique!
However Garner's rapport with the fans and his long service bring him into consideration.

Why did Briggs move and was he idolised by the fans at Blackburn? Did he just move onto a bigger club?
Intentionally left blank??

#23 Eddie

Eddie

World Cup

• Backroom Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14787 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 19:24 PM

QUOTE (American @ Feb 3 2005, 19:29 )
QUOTE (Eddie @ Feb 3 2005, 13:10 )
QUOTE (Ste B @ Feb 3 2005, 18:47 )
Jansen a great ??

Greater than Garner, Briggs, Southworth, Speedie, Gallacher, Sutton ???  Bloody hell 10 people think he's greater than Shearer.. what planet are you on ?

Its the same as those who vote for the likes of Robbie Williams in the greatest ever musician polls.  He's still a current player and therefore popular, but probably on a par with Wegerle in the bigger picture.

To be honest you never know with these things, I always vote on the basis that the best I have ever seen play for Rovers.

So my next vote will either be for Sutton or Jansen, in this case Jansen. Shearer got my vote because I had the pleasure of seeing him in a Rovers shirt, if I had become a Rovers supporter within the last 5 years though, then I would have voted for Jansen first up. So you never know with these things.

Then I guess we should rename the squad to best 10 in Eddie's lifetime, instead of best 10 EVER.

Thank you for that.

I wasn't saying everyone should judge players based on my lifetime. All I'm saying is how on earth could I know if some player in the 50's or 60's was better than a player of more recent times. I've never even seen video footage of many of these let alone seen them at first hand. I judge as best I can, and really the only way I can do that is to judge the players I really know. I don't begrudge the fact that some of the older members have seen Rovers for decades and so can pass comment on hundreds of players who have put on the shirt, I'm limited to my own experiences since I was 6 years old, and in my case that only goes back 11 years.

I'm sorry I'm young.

Edited by Eddie, 03 February 2005 - 20:24 PM.

"And while I'm here I must say that that Souness chap is a jolly fine fellow."

Jim 7/05/2004 23:29

#24 American

American

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8317 posts
  • Location:Another immigrant taking a job from an Englishman in London.

Posted 03 February 2005 - 19:42 PM

In that case how can you know Churchill was a great PM? How can you know Hitler was worse than Saddam?
Using Latin phrases to sound smart is my modus operandi.

#25 den

den

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20014 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 20:02 PM

biggrin.gif
Thanks to Tyrone Shoelaces, this was the first team I ever saw:
Rovers v Middesborough F. A. Cup 5th round. Sat 5th of Feb, 1962. Att, 33,714.

Else! Taylor Newton, Clayton Woods McGrath, Douglas Lawther Pickering Byrom Ratcliffe.

We won 2-1 ( Pickering, Lawther ) setting up an away tie at Fulham in the next round. We drew that 2-2. Before the replay the draw had paired us with our old friends Burnley in the semi finals.
Typically Rovers, we played kean in the replay and lost 1-0 in front of another 33,000 crowd ! of our five forwards four were actually born in the town of Blackburn ! Now that will never happen again.

#26 Eddie

Eddie

World Cup

• Backroom Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14787 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 20:13 PM

QUOTE (American @ Feb 3 2005, 20:45 )
In that case how can you know Churchill was a great PM? How can you know Hitler was worse than Saddam?

It's going to be impossible for me to explain this very clearly, the words just won't come, but I'll give it a shot anyway. I feel football is very personal, with the only way to truly judge a player being to see him yourself. Politicians, historical figures, their acts and thoughts are well documented, the result of their actions, much of what is needed.

You know what I'm not going to bother. We are talking about a Rovers best 11, not men of the 20th century.

Edited by Eddie, 03 February 2005 - 20:22 PM.

#27 FourLaneBlue

FourLaneBlue

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7578 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 20:20 PM

Great posts Eddie...I really underestimated you. Bugger that arbritrary intelligence lark eh?

Edited by FourLaneBlue, 03 February 2005 - 20:21 PM.

#28 Eddie

Eddie

World Cup

• Backroom Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14787 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 20:23 PM

Is that sarcasm I detect?

Edited by Eddie, 03 February 2005 - 20:28 PM.

#29 FourLaneBlue

FourLaneBlue

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7578 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 20:33 PM

QUOTE (Eddie @ Feb 4 2005, 04:26 )
Is that sarcasm I detect?

Not really I just wish you would have a think about it and then decide without having to just narrow it down to who you have seen with your own two peepholes.

I and others just want you to read the threads then make a decision. Not come into it and think...that's it, if I ain't seen him I can't consider him.

I'm not Jim and I'm not here to call you names but I wish you'd open your mind first before deciding.

Edited by FourLaneBlue, 04 February 2005 - 09:35 AM.

#30 Eddie

Eddie

World Cup

• Backroom Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14787 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 20:51 PM

I do open my mind. It's simply that I don't think I can fairly judge anyone I've never seen. So I just go with what I know. If this were something very serious, then yes, I would take more time, research, learn statistics, read reviews from each players time, learn what the fans thought of them, all of that. It isn't though, it's just a simple vote. I was simply trying to explain why some had voted for players who most would say would never make Rovers all time 11, and though I might be able to give a reason.

I know that it means I won't pick the best player most of the time. It's just unless I was going to do tons of research on all of them, I wouldn't be doing it fairly anyway, so I've simply limited it to what I've seen.

#31 Bryan

Bryan

Ewok

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13086 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 21:01 PM

But people are giving you their research to ensure you don't have to do it yourself.
Sir! With respect, you can stick the money up your #### that's all I can offer you sir.

#32 Eddie

Eddie

World Cup

• Backroom Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14787 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 21:04 PM

Yeah but it is extremely subjective. A lot of the research done has been done by those who loved the players, and I see nothing wrong with that, it's useful, and I did take a look at it and it was an enjoyable read and gave me the chance to learn things I didn't know before. I was just trying to judge it myself, and really the best way is to see the player in action, that will have more of an impact on me then a little biography of the player with his career stats.

Oh what's the point...I'll just vote for Simon Garner.

#33 Drummer Boy

Drummer Boy

Premier League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Location:Trawden - a small dingle-occupied village near Colne

Posted 03 February 2005 - 23:57 PM

The second easiest vote of the 11 in my mind, after I read all the worthy testimonials on the first striker and made my mind up (well there was no option who to vote for on the first striker, was there?) - bring it on, THERE'S ONLY ONE SIMON GARNER (the number of times I've nearly torn my throat roaring that, when we had little else to roar about). He was there when we ................................ achieved sod all, actually. BUT, he was there and I would buy him a pint anytime and thank him for so many fantastic memories around an otherwise largely bleak landscape that he would probably get a bit embarrassed.

#34 colin

colin

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8202 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 00:03 AM

QUOTE (Eddie @ Feb 3 2005, 21:07 )
Yeah but it is extremely subjective.

Of course it is. That's the whole point!

No doubt a statto could give us Optima stats and the whole thing would be over and done with in the twinkling of a calculator.

Go crazy, vote for Speedie.

I might even go for Garner despite my shout for the litle sod.

Just going to flip a coin. Heads for Garner, tails for Speedie........

Edited by colin, 04 February 2005 - 00:04 AM.

30 years supporting Rovers. All gone now.

#35 SouthAussieRover

SouthAussieRover

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5218 posts

• ST Block: SO15

Posted 04 February 2005 - 00:38 AM

Garner and Shearer get my vote.

#36 LeChuck

LeChuck

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13139 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 01:55 AM

QUOTE (Ste B @ Feb 3 2005, 17:47 )
He's still a current player and therefore popular, but probably on a par with Wegerle in the bigger picture.

How many times have we had a striker good enough for England recognition? Only illness stopped him gaining a cap and probably a place in a World Cup squad.

Not saying he should win the second place, I don't think he should...but saying he's in the same bracket as Wegerle is absurd.

#37 neekoy

neekoy

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3272 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 03:14 AM

Sutton will get my vote, what he and Shearer accomplished was why I started following rovers in the first place

#38 dave birch

dave birch

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16221 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 06:36 AM

McEvoy and Pickering could play together, I reckon McEvoy and Briggs could have played together, and even Briggs and Pickering. I think in those days it was a case of "who is in the best position to put it away".
They used to think in them days.

Not so sure about Shearer playing with any of the fore mentioned.

I'd take any of:

Briggs
McEvoy
Pickering
Vernon
Southworth

Any team facing that forward line (I know they aren't in position) would wet themselves (and I'm talking the old formation of 2-3-5). Just look up thier records.

I'm not going for these guys 'cause I'm an old fart, but they used to score for fun. They used to enjoy their football.
I could go "sentimental" and choose Briggs, could go logical and choose Southworth.

I'll choose Southworth, 133 games 122 goals, is the clincher.

#39 speeeeeeedie

speeeeeeedie

Uefa Europa League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1704 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 15:33 PM

Tough one. Garner for his hero status. Speedie because without him we'd never have gone up and was a cracking player. Briggs becasue of his recommendation on here, sounds like a great player. I'll decide later.
"Doctor, I can't pronounce my F's, T's and H's."
"Well you can't say fairer than that then"

- Tommy Cooper

#40 frosty

frosty

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2109 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 20:31 PM

Garner
"Blackburn Rovers Football Club can confirm that Steve Kean tonight resigned from his position as manager."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Important Legal Information

All content is copyright of its respective posters and may not be representative of the views of BRFCS Ltd, its staff, volunteers, members, sponsors or advertisers. Content on the public forums of this site is not pre-moderated. If you feel that any content is defamatory or constitutes harassment, or that it contravenes the site posting guidelines, or that it may result in the site or its owners, volunteers, users or members facing legal action, you should alert BRFCS immediately either by using the REPORT function available on every post or by sending an email to admin@brfcs.com with details of the content in question.

Note that this site uses cookies. As the site does not function without cookies, any use of the site implies consent for us to use them. Under new European law, BRFCS is required to disclose how these cookies are used. Please see our privacy policy for more information.

BRFCS Ltd. Registered in England and Wales under company registration number 07315781.