BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Greatest Ever Rovers Team

den

I'd also like to congratulate both Den and anybody who provided testimony for the players I'd never seen (and in some cases even heard of). It also never degenerated too far when it came to arguing, when at one point it threatened to spoil itself.

I'm glad to see that the team includes people from every single full decade in the history of Rovers, from the 1880s all the way up to the present day in the figure of the goalkeeper, although admittedly that is including Crompton as manager in the twenties, thirties and forties.

It's also good that it didn't turn into a thread of only the most recent players that people have seen. It's all guesswork sure as we have never seen most of these players but that's the good bit about it I thought. Wasn't about who was the most enjoyable player we had personally seen but more a guess on who was the best. It was all based on secondary evidence but as Rovers are this year celebrating their 130th anniversary it has to be. That said, I'm still not sure just how Jimmy Forrest managed to get in the team.

Personally I think a greatest manager poll and greatest Rover of all would be a good way to round things off. The greatest person of all who put the club first. The likes of Parkes, Douglas, Garner, Clayton and Crompton sring to mind as having given most of their playing career to Rovers.

Good work from den and all others who contributed.

Well done Den! It was worth it.

Thanks for Forrest,Southworth and Latheron- showing that we have to pass the history of the Rovers down thru the generations.Next year is the 130 th year and I still have my Centenary beer mug.

It was ironic that we speak of Parkes,Garner,Duggie/Ronnie and Sir Bob Crompton in hallowed tones just as we had the incident of "Soft Bazza" slinking off -the least revered Captain in Rovers history.

More people will remember Jimmy Kerr from the early 70s who played about 8 scintillating games and then was badly injured than ever will remember Barry Ferguson.

Thanks for the journey.

Great effort Den, I've really enjoyed it. The really interesting one is Keith Newton, who's been forced out of both full back positions in the reserve side as well.

Please can we not have a worst team poll? It would kinda make a mockery of the whole thing.

The worst team poll would almost definitely be made up out of players from the last ten years. The greats like Crompton are documented throughout the ages, but the worst players from the teams of yesteryear aren't even known.

The worst team poll would almost definitely be made up out of players from the last ten years. The greats like Crompton are documented throughout the ages, but the worst players from the teams of yesteryear aren't even known.

This is a very astute observation which I for one hadn't considered.

To back it up, look at the "most hated people in football" thread.

Souness gets 12 nominations (at time of posting).

Not even a hint of a mention for (eg) Iley, Hodgson or Kidd.

When asked to be negative, people can barely see past last week never mind consider "all time".

That's because Hodgson and Kidd, whatever they DID do, didn't hang around long enough to become truly hated (Jack was sensitive to the fan's feelings and had the money to get rid- this board weren't and didn't).

They also didn't drive our better players out. (Then, our better players wanted to go because they could get better jobs elsewhere NOT because they hated the manager)

This is a very astute observation which I for one hadn't considered.

To back it up, look at the "most hated people in football" thread.

Souness gets 12 nominations (at time of posting).

Not even a hint of a mention for (eg) Iley, Hodgson or Kidd.

When asked to be negative, people can barely see past last week never mind consider "all time".

I agree, it would be farcical for the worst ever team to be made up largely of players who, however undeservedly, plied their trade for us in the Premier League.

I was thinking it would be pretty much a clean sweep for the team that got relegated to division three - Brian Hill, Malcolm Darling, Brian Conlon, John Coddington etc, though obviously making room for John O'Mara up front.

Well done to all involved, especially Den.

I didn't know much about some of the players who were in contention to get in the Greatest Ever Rovers Team, thanks to the members who described what these players were actually like.

I dread to think what the Worst Rovers Team would be like, that would be depressing.