SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Left back

Alan75

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Le Saux was great at going forward but I always felt that the job description for full-backs included defending as well. I'm not too sure that Greame was the greatest in that department. At that time, I always felt that Alan Wright was the better player of the two. Having said that, he suffered from the same problem. Better going forward than defending.

Basil for me. Proper defender ! Who can forget the time he stood on the ball versus Man Utd. Classic.

le saux and bailey are the two best iv'e seen,le saux shading it. however i will go with eckersley as he was blackburn through and through, and he was not known for belting one of his own players during an important cup tie watched by millions on t.v. and making us a laughing stock throughout europe

Well I loved Le Saux while he was at Rovers. Maybe my fav player.

Shame he was such a little rent boy in the end. I mean what puff would ever collect antiques wink.gif

Outrageous comment.

Socksy was a gem, one of the main reasons we won the League.

The cross he made for Shearer's goal on VE day defied logic.

His cross for Shearer to head the winner against Leeds in the last minute at home, equally so.

as much as I loved JB JB John Baliley when I was young, we are talking different class here.

I mean what puff would ever collect antiques wink.gif

Allardyce?

Lovejoy?

Callum Davidson? Callum. Davidson. C. Davidson. Davidson, Callum. The big eared goggly eyed defender as he was once described in some newspaper or other. I don't think he should win.

Le Saux was an excellent left back but I can't and won't vote for him because I find him annoying.

It's got to be Bill Eckersley. Not only does he sound Northern and therefore dead hard (be honest if we had four Bill Eckersley's in our defence now, any team would fear coming to Ewood) but he also made 432 appearances over 14 years. Plus he had a telescopic leg. What more does anyone want in a left back?

No contest.

Agree that if Eckersley or Newton (or whichever player from decades ago) are to have any chance at all somebody is going to have put forward one hell of a case. At right back we haven't had anyone particularly special for at least a couple of decades but at left back and despite some irritations Le Saux was a skilfull and intelligent player as well as simply being damn good.

How about Jim putting forward a case for Newton? Where are you Jim? Seem to remember him describing him as a classy, quality international-standard player. Maybe a few more people who remember Eckersley saying a bit more about him?

For now I'll say Le Saux but keep an open mind should anyone come up with a very good argument for someone else.

Edited by FourLaneBlue