BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Second centre half

den

It has to be said that voting for someone you have never seen play takes a great leap of faith.

That said, FLB managed to convince us that Bob Compton was a worthy winner.

So, perhaps if some of our older posters (I think I'm one of them BTW) have nominations, they might just like to take the time and effort to put together an accolade for their favourite.

I'm compiling something for an unlikely midfielder. I don't expect him to win, but by Jove I'm enjoying doing it.

How on earth did David May get a vote again? That's two votes for the first time and another on this. Is it the work of Sam Dingle or longsider1882 or is there a "joker" at work? Would also have been interesting to see the case put forward for John Curtis by...tom007.

Den - you made the correct decision to have the vote again and this has actually been vindicated by England's win. The central midfield positions look to be the most interesting of the lot.

One thing I did think (and it's actually too late now Brad is in the team) ius maybe to exclude players still playing for the club? After all, what if they suddenly started playing poorly and their reputation went down? Le Saux for example suffered, albeit only by a bit, by his antics in Moscow. It could affect others in similar ways if they left the club on bad terms. Just a thought that's all and of course too late now with the goalkeeper already chosen.

One thing I did think (and it's actually too late now Brad is in the team) ius maybe to exclude players still playing for the club? After all, what if they suddenly started playing poorly and their reputation went down? Le Saux for example suffered, albeit only by a bit, by his antics in Moscow. It could affect others in similar ways if they left the club on bad terms. Just a thought that's all and of course too late now with the goalkeeper already chosen.

I don't think it'll be a problem for anymore of the current lot. smile.gif

It has to be said that voting for someone you have never seen play takes a great leap of faith.

That said, FLB managed to convince us that Bob Compton was a worthy winner.

Spot on. The same thing's happened with England. I voted for him this time around due to how good people said he was (also voted for Eckersley but that was also to do with feeling that Le Saux was an unsuitable choice after Moscow etc.). No one person made eulogised to quite the extent FLB did with Crompton but there were a large number of people all willing to testify that he was world class. This for me has got him the vote ahead of Henning Berg, much as I admire him.

First time around I voted for Hendry, he really was a hero for me and I felt he had to be in there.

I'm compiling something for an unlikely midfielder. I don't expect him to win, but by Jove I'm enjoying doing it.

Now who could that be Mr C? huh.gif ... wink.gif ... biggrin.gif

You Scamp.

Take sometime off and back me up. He might just garner (no that one) a couple of votes.

Me & you. laugh.gif

First of all - the result of the second centre half position, total votes + percentage of vote:

Mike England------------- [ 85 ]..... [64.89%]

Henning Berg------------- [ 22 ]... [16.79%]

Kevin moran--------------- [ 12 ].... [9.16%]

Derek Fazackerley-------- [ 8 ]..... [6.11%]

Matt Woods-------------- [ 1 ]...... [0.76%]

David May----------------- [ 1 ]....... [0.76%]

Stephane Henchoz------- [ 1 ]...... [0.76%]

Tony gale------------------- [ 1 ]..... [0.76%]

Glenn Keeley--------------- [ 0 ]..... [0.00%]

Graham Hawkins--------- [ 0 ]....... [0.00%]

John McNamee------------- [ 0 ]....... [0.00%]

Therefore the defence is complete:

Friedel

Crompton          England           Hendry          Le Saux

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So maybe it gets more interesting from here? Onto the right midfield or to be precise, right winger.

This is a preliminary list of right wingers that I can remember. If I've missed anyone out then let us all know:

Stuart Ripley,

Mike Ferguson,

Noel Brotherston,

Ian Miller,

Bryan Douglas,

Johnny Price,

John Connelly

Alan Irvine

Louis Bimpson,

Keith Gillespie.

Brett Emerton

Gordon Taylor

Howard Gayle

George Donis

David Thomson

Can anyone remember any other right winger that should at least, be in this list?

What we need, is for someone to come forward and put in a testimony for a winger that they think should win. Very much as the match previews are done, someone who wants to write an article outlining why that particular player is/was the best.

If someone does do a testimonial [for want of a better word], just post it on this thread, let me know you've done it, and I'll highlight it in red.

What does anyone think? There aren't many top class right wingers in that list, considering we are looking at a list of "all time" players. Surprising really.