SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

First central midfielder

toogs

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colin, what a fantastic presentation of the reasons we should all vote for Super Atko.

Thank you Bazza,

Glad you liked it. I just hope everyone else feels the same way.

This is almost as easy as picking Duggy on the right. Clayton (one club man who captained both club and country) and Sherwood (vastly underrated in his influence and playmaking abilities, rarely missing through injury unlike Sellars Ferguson etc) captain of our Prem winning team.

Sorry but any other opinion can be discounted out of hand.

As much as I love Super Atko, I do not think he can be placed in a team of Rovers greats. During the halycon year of 94/95, he was only first choice due to David Batty's injury and was only a regular in the championship winning side for this reason. As soon as Batty returned from injury, Super Atko returned to the bench. How can we have a player in the starting 11 who was not first choice in the best squad of his era?

Yes, he was reliable and a good club man. He could and would fill in a variety of positions. For this reason it seems to me that the right place for Super Atko ina Greatest Rovers Team would be on the bench, a place I am sure he would not begrudge.

My first choice would be Clayton for the reasons given above. The second choice is hard and I am open to persuasion.

brilliant post by colin - Atko deserves his place alongside Clayton. Always enjoyed telling people that think we bought the title in 95 about how important Atkins was. Maybe I'm being nostalgic but I seem to remember most of his goals being 25 yard screamers as well.

1st Clayton - captaining England in the 60's says it all

2nd Choice - Atko represents the best about club players (I'll even forgive that own-goal against Liverpool)

Both Ronnie and Ken played for Rovers as wing halves for a short time but Ken faded and Ronnie progressed to captain Rovers and England.

Didn't Ken Clayton get a nasty injury of some sort? I seem to remember reading that that was the reason he faded somewhat.

and Sherwood (vastly underrated in his influence and playmaking abilities, rarely missing through injury unlike Sellars Ferguson etc) captain of our Prem winning team.

But still a tosser all the same - and always wanted to be the centre of attention and the only thing that galls me about our WINNING (Just for you non Rovers fans reading) the P/L was that this tosser was our captain.

Not underrated by me in any way or form and should be nowhere near being mentioned on this MB never mind this thread.

One thing is certain - Tosser could not have laced Clayton's boots if he had been shown a 1000 times or more and Claytons' connection to the club still, and the glowing testimonies to his abilities speaks volumes to why he cannot be left out.

An excellent post for Mark Atkins Colin but you cannot seriously expect us to vote for him as one of our best ever players can you? Remember we are voting for ALL TIME GREATS!

He was never more than a reliable journeyman who could fill in and not let you down when nobody else was availible. Always a bridesmaid but never the bride.

When Batty was signed Atko was the one relegated to the bench, hardly an all time great then was he. Surely Batty for one must be ahead of him and Batty will also not be amongst the all time greats.

Let us also remember how he got the name Super Atko. It was not because he was a great player but used humourously because he was so limited in his footballing skills.

I do not want to knock the lad too much because he was an honest no frills player with a big heart but surely not amongst our BEST EVER players.

and Sherwood (vastly underrated in his influence and playmaking abilities, rarely missing through injury unlike Sellars Ferguson etc) captain of our Prem winning team.

But still a tosser all the same - and always wanted to be the centre of attention and the only thing that galls me about our WINNING (Just for you non Rovers fans reading) the P/L was that this tosser was our captain.

Not underrated by me in any way or form and should be nowhere near being mentioned on this MB never mind this thread.

One thing is certain - Tosser could not have laced Clayton's boots if he had been shown a 1000 times or more and Claytons' connection to the club still, and the glowing testimonies to his abilities speaks volumes to why he cannot be left out.

Absolutely scandalous comments.

Just because you don't like somebody's personality gives you no right to discount his monumental contribution to the greatest side we have had in modern history.

I'm sorry but despite this thread being open to opinions of player's abilities, your comments go way beyond the realms of taste and in my opinion do yourself and this board no favours.

Spot the bloke who's pally with Tim!

Good one Mr Colin, will hopefully split the Sherwood vote and get Latheron in.

Brownie you make the 95 side seem like Brazil 70 incarnate. Not being funny, but we were the artisans to Man Utd's artists. That's not to deride in any way the joy of winning the title, or the contribution that the individual players made, but it does counterbalance your fawning praise for anyone who played in the side!

Just because you don't like somebody's personality gives you no right to discount his monumental contribution to the greatest side we have had in modern history.

I'm sorry but despite this thread being open to opinions of player's abilities, your comments go way beyond the realms of taste and in my opinion do yourself and this board no favours.

Take it you never spoke to the guy Brownie nor took any notice of his comments or interviews - especially after our thumping at Wimbledon on our relegation spiral

Once a loser always a loser - and as we say its about opinions and this is mine which I think basically sums him up.

Dream about what you will but I go of what I know and what I saw and heard.

Sweet dreams

Was this not the man who made Mr Coar sweat over contract negotiations before jumping ship?

BTW - no-one REALLY believes Atkins was one of our best ever midfielders, do they? ohmy.gif

was pivitol in us winning the premiership - Id say so

And I would say that Den is absolutely correct. No way was Atkins pivotal to our winning the championship. He played a part at best.

I think that Atkins is more a case of an average player surrounded by great players, making an average player a good player.

he was in the right team at the right time, in the current team hewould probably struggle

anyway I'd go for Sherwood, class player

Edited by chris

Once a loser always a loser

Are we talking about the same man ?

Yep we are Brownie

Maybe I went I bit over the top on here, but to me he was not integral to us winning the league (I think even Ronnie Hildersley could have played there and we would still have won the league) and other things just go towards my feelings against him.

This is how I see it....

r.e. Atkins, Sherwood, Batty.

My favourite out of those three was Batty. Fantastic player and his debut against Tottenham at Ewood will live long in the memory. Probably the most complete midfield performance I have ever witnessed from a man in Blue & White Halves. He also had a fight / threw a handbag in Moscow live on BBC1 with Rovers "greatest ever left back", Le Saux. That doesn't go against him. But he won't get my vote, simply because, unfortunately, he didn't play enough games.

Sherwood. I don't think many people, me included, realised just how much he did for the team until he left. Held them together and always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. I remember one of his first games for Rovers was away at Port Vale in the old 2nd Division, he was truly awful and I thought we'd bought a right duffer. Goes to show that some players need time to settle in. Scored a few goals for us as well did Sherwood, but he won't get my vote either. Something about the fella that meant I never really warmed to him. Must have been his crap hair cut.

Atkins. Al on the previous page summed it up pretty well. "Super Atko" - the name was ironic at first but over time I think most people forgot that. £45,000 !?! - not as cheap as Wilcox, but I don't think any future Premier League Champions will buy a player, who play's regularly, for so little. Never stopped running, "tremendous engine", covered every blade of grass. (Should have been a lawn mower). He was a great player for us no doubt it but I think we've had better players over the years. Should have kept his moustache - just for the novelty factor.

All three players are Rovers legends. But....

Ronnie Clayton get's my first vote. Captain of England. 'Nuff said. I'll leave those who saw him play to wax lyrical about him. Really nice fella as well.

My other midfielder will be Eddie Latheron - I thank SG194's piece on page one of this thread for that. He won two league titles and he only cost £25. (That's the equivalent of £ 47.63 in today's money - show's how times have changed).

There you go - there's no flawed logic in any of that.

I'll jump in on the Batty/Sherwood/Atkins debate.

Hopefully Ronnie Clayton has one spot sewn up already. There should be no discussion as to why he should not be in the side. End of story.

When it comes to the other one it's looking like a four horse race between the aforementioned 3, and many wanting pre-WWI hero Latheron. Nobody knows anything about him so peope are going with the next best lot; our title winning bunch.

Sherwood was a very good player for us. He ran the midfield during our meteoric rise, and jumped ship during the latter days of our decline. He could see passes that many other players could not, he'd open up the pitch for us and give players tremendous amounts of time and space with his vision. Fans used to moan now and again when one went wayward into the Riverside but when they came off they were great. He could put a tackle in, wasn't afraid of the rough stuff, but could not shoot straight, he always just put them over the bar. Overall a good one who was maybe worthy of a better England chance on his club performances but didn't have international class or consistency. His leaving was controversial, as was many of the glory team.

I first saw Batty when he played for Leeds, we tubbed them 3-1 at Ewood in our first season up. It was the game when Shearer did his knee. Wilcox ran Mel Sterland ragged. I remember then watching him and thinking what class he had, simple but very effective. Allegedly Dalglish went to Leeds asking for McCallister, they said no, so he asked for Batty instead. He won player of the year in his first season with us, ahead of Shearer and his 30 goals. He did everything simple, kept the ball well and broke up attacks well. He was brilliant, far better than Sherwood, and also never scored, but injuries and his Le Saux fight marred him. Won plenty of England caps, missed a penalty in 1998.

Atkins is different, a lowly Don Mackay signing came as a bad fullback (Super Atko started as a mick take nickname) whose pre-Dalglish days most famous moment was a last minute own goal against Liverpool in the FA Cup. It robbed us of a great win, as they lumped us 3-0 at Anfield. Jimmy Hill blamed the ball girl for giving it to Liverpool too quickly - I blamed Atko. Anyway, once Dalglish started buying, Atkins managed to convert himself into a ball winning midfielder. He must have watched Batty alot in training as when he was injured Atko came in and played like him - I've never seen a footballer do that. He was big and had good stamina, but should not be in the "greatest ever team". We also got over a million for him from Wolves.

What still does me in is that Le Saux made the team. Good player but left in acrimonious circumstances, Woy was going to let him rot in the reserves, but money came calling.

Clayton is a certainty with either Latheron or Batty - I'm an undecided here.