BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 2005/6 Season Ticket Sales

Season Ticket Sales - Renewing or Not ?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Season Ticket Sales - Renewing or Not ?

• Renewing my season ticket.
    • Renewing season ticket but moving to cheaper seats.
    • Not renewing my season ticket.
    • Buying my first season ticket.
    • Exiled Rover - wish I could attend games.

This poll is closed to new votes

I realise the subject of "gates" and ST sales has been covered in a number of different threads. My idea is that we focus on a single thread and present ideas to the Club.

I am concerned that gates and ST sales are in freefall. I personally know of many who did not renew last season; they have not become occasional supporters, they do not bother at all.

The truth is that we have lost 4000 regular fans...this cannot continue without hitting the club...but we have the old problem of fans will not come and watch crap, which is what we have been exposed to for the last couple of seasons.

I believe that John Williams has been radical and open-minded in terms of ideas to retain and build ST sales; without his initiatives the situation would have been worse.

I am fed up of the stories of we are a small town club, local support is great despite the "big fish" around us. The fact is that we had far greater support and this support is diminishing year by year.

I have no doubt we will see a drop in ST's for next season; the question is what, if anything, can we do about it.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well next year as I'll be in England this will be the first time that Blackburn Rovers will see me regularly buying tickets. I try to get to as many games as possible but it's difficult from here, next year I'd like to make it to 10-15. So you can add one more to some of the gates, though I won't be getting a ST.

rover.gif IN A THREAD THAT DISSAPPEARED in the black out last weekend,i said as a family club our pricing for the family stand is ludicrous.

the family stand should be the cheapest part off the ground,not one off the dearest,the free tickets for the under 8's needs to re-appear.the fact that the family stand is half full every week proves this point. tinykit.gif

Eddie's response has just got me thinking about perhaps introducing a pick and choose type season ticket, mainly aimed at those of us that can't make it to all home games but would be willing to commit to say half.

If I could buy a season ticket for 9/10 home games then I would be able to come to the games that I can actually make it to without buying a full ST and wasting lots of money. This would benefit the club as it is more guaranteed money and full seats for at least half the games.

As there is not exactally a lack of available seats, the club could still save the seats for these tickets, maybe having a section in the least desirable areas of the ground. The season ticket itself could be just a normal ST card that subtracts a game for everytime you swipe into the ground. Or, if you want a particular stand/seat, you could call the Ticket Office to let them know you are coming to that game and to reserve a seat.

The advantages to people like me would be:-

1) guaranteed seats for only the games I can make it to

2) Already bought the tickets so would get me off my lazy arse to actually get to more home games.

3) Buying in advance for 10 games is significantly cheaper than buying a full ST.

3) Half season ticket holders could be given 2nd priority over purchasing tickets for cup games / away games

4) can't think of any more!

I know it's probably not feasible but I'd buy one!

Kids under 8 go free, kids between 8-11 pay less than £100, family tickets reasonably priced, ST Holders get ALL cup games free (apart from semi and final), incentives for 'bringing a friend' such as reduced price on merchandise (and not a piddling 5% either) or maybe even a free pie or beer.

The most important thing is to get youngsters in because hey, I believe that children are our future.

I think some of the problem is that you don't have much incentive to buy a season ticket because, aside from some Boxing Day fixtures and maybe Man Yoo, it's very unlikely you won't be able to get a ticket whenever you want for practically any game, even for an FA Cup semi final. That's one of the nice things about being a Rovers fan, but I can see it presents economic problems.

In other words, they arguably built the ground too big. But short of knocking down the Darwen end to re-build that old mill with the chimney, not sure what can be done about it.

As an occasional buyer, I like their pricing, especially in comparison to away games in Landon where usually I have to pay full whack for my kids and their mates.

I suppose the only answers are to keep the kids prices low, as suggested above, and to buy lots of players who are breathtakingly exciting, free-scoring but also defensively mean. Simple.

Waggy's idea is a good one.

Family Stand should be free season tickets and a token £1 for match day tickets for kids. Its not like its full anyway - and the corresponding drop in income would be peanuts anyway.

Student matchday tickets. There are thousands of students in preston/blackburn/bolton etc. Matchday tickets for £10? Again not a massive knock off for the people we get now, but we could well attract some over from those areas (again these would be match by match attendees).

I like the sounds of Biddy's idea, but what about some kind of correspondign special offer. eg Buy a ticket for Man United and for Charlton (or whatever high and low games) for £45 or whatever. (Would be £28 plus £24 = £52) again takes a little bit of income away but might encourage bums on seats.

The difficulty is that (as with the card scheme) the people who will mainly benefit are those who attend regularly, the question is how many new peopel (or floaters, or ex attendees) do the club have.

The biggest problem of all is the reluctance of Rovers to use the mailbase. There must be thousands and thousands of names and addresses in that mailbase, why dont they get a letter, or a phone call or whatever. If they havnt been for a while ring them and offer them a vastly reduced match day ticket to try and get them back interested. £5 in the Darwen End for the opening game of the season? Again, the seats would be empty anyway why not try and get a few people back interested?

Any suggestions will be more than welcome and passed on to the club. But we have to remember that the club have spent a lot of money on incentives before and the results show that people are responding. They can't just go on slashing ticket prices.

Matchday and season ticket prices are already some of the cheapest in the Premiership. Take a look at what Bolton, Wigan and Preston (if they get promoted) fan's will be paying!

The main problem is there is no need to buy a season ticket! There are always tickets available and the other advantages are fairly limited. Unfortunately the club's hands are a bit tied on what the can offer. Cup revenue is split 50:50 between the clubs (with a bit for the FA, sponsors, etc) so Rovers cannot offer free cup tickets to ST holder. Say we draw Man U in an early round, Rovers will have to basically give money direct to United!!

I think any suggestions will be look at by the club. They need the fans to help.

It's going to be a poor sale of season tickets this year.

I know eight people already, they decided well before the season finished that they won't be coming next season.

Whether you like it or not, until Rovers start to play well consistantly we won't get those fans who have gone missing for a long time.

Eddie's response has just got me thinking about perhaps introducing a pick and choose type season ticket, mainly aimed at those of us that can't make it to all home games but would be willing to commit to say half.

If I could buy a season ticket for 9/10 home games then I would be able to come to the games that I can actually make it to without buying a full ST and wasting lots of money. This would benefit the club as it is more guaranteed money and full seats for at least half the games.

As there is not exactally a lack of available seats, the club could still save the seats for these tickets, maybe having a section in the least desirable areas of the ground. The season ticket itself could be just a normal ST card that subtracts a game for everytime you swipe into the ground. Or, if you want a particular stand/seat, you could call the Ticket Office to let them know you are coming to that game and to reserve a seat.

2) Already bought the tickets so would get me off my lazy arse to actually get to more home games.

3) Buying in advance for 10 games is significantly cheaper than buying a full ST.

3) Half season ticket holders could be given 2nd priority over purchasing tickets for cup games / away games

Biddy, the Rugby League team I support (South Sydney), has a similar scheme, it's called the 6 game super pass. You have entry to 6 home games in the general admission area which means you can have any seat but in a designated area.

The cost works out like this;

A full season pass = $180 (12 games) - $15 per game

6 Game Super Pass = $95 (6 games) - $15.83 per game

The usual price at the door is $20 per game.

It might be an idea that Rovers could use?

The club is up ###### creek.The promotion of Wigan and possibly PNE will only further strangle our supporter catchement area....time for everyone concerned with Rovers to don the tin hats I'm afraid.

Its damage limitation time for Rovers as concerns season ticket sales and the only way for the club to ride the coming storm is to invest in the team and that purely in an all out drive to hold on to the numbers at present,basically a massive gamble.

My honest and heartfelt opinion as Rovers somehow attempt not to lose anymore ticket holders?........PISSING AGAINST THE WIND sad.gif

Another sobering thought,what chance PNE having more season ticket holders than us if they come up unsure.gif

Unfortunately, it could end up as a vicious circle - as no doubt a good atmosphere contributes to a team's performance.

All the points made about the family stand are valid. We've had free tickets for my daughters for the past 2 years, allowing them to sample the games at little or no financial risk to us (kids get bored). As it is, the eldest still wants to come so we will be buying her ticket next year - if I'd had to buy it to try it we probably wouldn't

I think the only thing that will encourage people to buy season tickets, would be new signings.

After this season's performances, if the fans could see that Rovers were looking to drastically improve the squad, they might be willing to fork out their hard earned cash.

Rovers have tried lowering prices to watch some of the "smaller" teams, but this hasn't had the desired effect. Would you buy a sh1t product if it were half price? No.

We maybe need to have a season of good home performances, where people will buy individual tickets, before the season ticket holders come back.

If I could buy a season ticket for 9/10 home games then I would be able to come to the games that I can actually make it to without buying a full ST and wasting lots of money.  This would benefit the club as it is more guaranteed money and full seats for at least half the games.

As there is not exactally a lack of available seats, the club could still save the seats for these tickets, maybe having a section in the least desirable areas of the ground.  The season ticket itself could be just a normal ST card that subtracts a game for everytime you swipe into the ground.  Or, if you want a particular stand/seat, you could call the Ticket Office to let them know you are coming to that game and to reserve a seat.

Biddy, the Rugby League team I support (South Sydney), has a similar scheme, it's called the 6 game super pass. You have entry to 6 home games in the general admission area which means you can have any seat but in a designated area.

The cost works out like this;

A full season pass = $180 (12 games) - $15 per game

6 Game Super Pass = $95 (6 games) - $15.83 per game

The usual price at the door is $20 per game.

It might be an idea that Rovers could use?

Excellent idea I think. Offer let's say a 5,10 and then full season ticket. I too would buy one, even if I'd thought I'd make it to only 6 or 7 games in a season I'd still buy the 10 game season ticket.

How much would a season ticket be for an 18 year old? I may just buy one to support the club and try and get to as many games as I can.

The only way people will come is if the team is performing and that feel good factor comes back, ie, 2 years ago with Duffer, Dunny, Cole etc.

When I go to Ewood, I know that we're gonna play one up front, stifle the midfield and generally bore the pants off the supporters.

This will not encourage people to put their hands in pockets and spend hard earned cash. If we make 3/4 good exciting signings, ie Bellamy, creative midfielder(Toogs, but younger), CH (To compliment Todd/Nelson) and a bloody good centre forward we have a chance of making a good start and therfore giving the supporters and incentive......

C'mon Sparky...do the business!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tongue.gif

Kids under 8 go free, kids between 8-11 pay less than £100, family tickets reasonably priced, ST Holders get ALL cup games free (apart from semi and final), incentives for 'bringing a friend' such as reduced price on merchandise (and not a piddling 5% either) or maybe even a free pie or beer.

The most important thing is to get youngsters in because hey, I believe that children are our future.

Great for the very limited amount of new supporters that would be attracted LD but at what overall cost to the club?...further and further into the red?/less and less income.

A vicious circle.The crux of the matter is entertainment upon the field of play and, dare I say, possibly outside investment in the club.

The spark has gone, you only need to witness the lack of atmosphere and 'buzz' around the stadium before the game has even bl00dy kicked off to realise something is not quite right at Ewood these days!

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Even when we were flying high in 6th place with a young, talented and attacking team and had recently won a major competition we weren't selling out week-in-week-out. I think the quality of performance is only important to 2-3k of those who no longer attend. Which is why we can see this fast fluctuation.

I think for others the offer of television in the pub, another team in the area or simply just doing something else is probably more important to them than Blackburn Rovers. The only way we could ever bring them back woudl be to have amazing success, Everton style, or perhaps to sign someone who turned himself into our very own David Beckham.

I'm not sure either of those will happen anytime soon, until then I think it's really a case of our maximum regular attendance being in the 25k range. If the team can put themselves in the top half and we have a couple of signings who are a bit more exciting then we should be able to get that.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but a lot of other clubs give a much wider access to tickets. Could the club not have a ticket office in the town centre for example? Not designed for season tickets as such but having this will attract 'passive' shoppers who might decide to spontaniously buy some match tickets whilst they have some cash in their pockets.

Great for the very limited amount of new supporters that would be attracted LD but at what overall cost to the club?...further and further into the red?/less and less income.

A vicious circle.The crux of the matter is entertainment upon the field of play and, dare I say, possibly outside investment in the club.

The spark has gone.

In order to tell how much of an affect that would have on the financial side of things we would have to see how much revenue comes in from under 11's. If this isn't very big and it really isn't that important to the club, I know every pound counts but still, then perhaps a scheme like this would be feasible. If it attracted more children, then that should mean more adults, perhaps families who had previously stayed away because the cost of an adult and two children was too much will now come, then the extra gain of matchday sales and increased support for the club could counter-balance and even exceed the loss of revenue that is a result of the lower ticket prices as well as filling up the stadium.

I think the message is very clear what the problem is. I don't think the club will like it, but they will have to accept that this is how the fans feel.

They won't like it because it isn't really something John Williams can control or manipulate. He can provide money to buy players, but at that is where his influence directly on the football ends. It is upto the players and coaching staff after that.

That is true, but perhaps by getting at the young with season tickets we may find a new generation of supporters. I know this is a unlikely, and if I was in charge I probably would never put such a plan in place, but when there's no pressure on you and you won't suffer from the consequences then it sounds like a good idea.

In the main the responses to this thraed show that Rovers fans care about the situation. As said earlier we will have our fan base furter stifled with the Latics and possibly PNE going up, just think of all the development work PNE are doing in Leyland which was good fertile groud for us for a few years following years of Preston supporting domination.

I also see the shift in support in the area where I live (Hoghton) which has seen a distinct shift from Rovers to Preston and nearby areas such as Chorley and Wheelton which have moved from Rovers to Bolton.

Keep the ideas rolling, and lets share them with J Williams in a positive way.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.