BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Old Gate Debate

Today I was offered a bet that made me stop and think. Usually I’m more than willing to back my judgement when it comes to backing Blackburn Rovers but this bet got me thinking.........

Wigan's average gate over the season will be bigger than ours? i obviously disagreed.

To be even thinking about it shows just how far our home support has declined in recent times.

Should I take the bet or not......... dry.gif £50.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I was offered a bet that made me stop and think. Usually I’m more than willing to back my judgement when it comes to backing Blackburn Rovers but this bet got me thinking.........

Wigan's average gate over the season will be bigger than ours? i obviously disagreed.

To be even thinking about it shows just how far our home support has declined in recent times.

Should I take the bet or not......... dry.gif  £50.

335254[/snapback]

Yes.

I think ours is likely to remain fairly static at 23 - 24k

Wigans is likely to be a touch over 20k (or it better had be cos then 1864 will owe me a pint!!)

And as a little reminder 1864 - I am led to believe they have sold nearly 12k Season Tickets - better get saving the prices have gone up in the leyland gates again!!! wink.gif

Edited by stuwilky

Dave Whelan said a few weeks ago, that he expected Wigan to average around 18000. I wonder how the away fans segregation works? If they have to give the away fans all of the stand behind the goals, then 18000 would be a good estimate.

As I understand it, away fans at the JJB will be given the North Stand, which holds 5,399 and not the East Stand (side) as previously.

The stadium capacity is 25,004 - take the bet GAV - I would expect Rovers to better them by a couple of thousand or more.

A harder decision would be which of the two teams will have the most home support. Again, I would take Rovers, but only just.

Bit of a tough one to call.

The Wigan public will be all up for their first taste of premiership football whereas the Blackburn public are probably a bit jaded after a few seasons of survival.

Wigan is dead handy for both Liverpool & both Manchester clubs & as close as we are to Notlob.

They've got Warrington, St Helens, Ormskirk & Skelmersdale close by, none of which have a football presence. We've got Notlob, Preston & The Dingles all of which have.

Wigan is on the West Coast main line, so it's straight up there for the Midlanders.

Then there will be the away fans looking to add another ground to the collection.

He he he, bet that's got you thinking.

Not so sure Gav, Wigan fans will be on a new bandwagon rather than Rugby League (which is going pear shaped at the moment for them), it's a new stadium for away fans to visit, free pie tasting at half time, one season in the premiership. It's a novelty thing for all concerned.

It'll be close I reckon. £50? Make it a fiver. Then again, it's not my money - do it man! Do it for Blackburn Rovers!

Mmmmmmm unsure.gif we didn't have a single sell-out last season....v Utd 26,000!!!!

335347[/snapback]

Over 29 v Newcastle though.

Gav - make sure its League games only - we dont want the sub 10k cup crowds affecting the average!!!

Not so sure Gav, Wigan fans will be on a new bandwagon rather than Rugby League (which is going pear shaped at the moment for them)

335348[/snapback]

The rugby at the moment is pretty dire, if Wigan win one of their first few games then I can definately see loads of people who sometimes watch the rugby instead go and watch the football.

Although one limiting factor for the latics may be the colour of the seats. We went watching the first latics game at the JJB v Morecambe a few years back. The game was a rubbish 0-0. But the reason Wigan didn't win according to a few fans that we was talking to was because 'I'm sat on a bloody red seat, no wonder we're not winning'!! When many people bought their season ticket that year they weren't that bothered about what stand they were in, as long as it was a blue seat!

Mmmmmmm unsure.gif we didn't have a single sell-out last season....v Utd 26,000!!!!

335347[/snapback]

Wasn't Newcastle & Liverpool both above 30,000 and both as good as sold out?

Or 29+ as Stu says. However the Man U game last year was on tv either way our average itself will be a couple of thousand more just because of the games we can get above their capacity i'd have thought.

Edited by Manchester Blue

Well towards the end of last season their home crowds probably averaged about 15,000, with the game v sunderland having over 20,000. Albeit the attendences were swelled by the away support but they get bigger crowds than you think.

I think Rovers` attendances will be on average 4000 above Wigans!

I`m confident about it.

I say take the £50 bet.......it`s easy money! wink.gif

Fair enough, they`ll have some great derby games that`ll fill their away end up (Man Ure, Citeh, Notlob, Neverton, Liverpoo & tinykit.gif ).....but we also have all those teams at our place & we can offer them 8k tickets)

TAKE THAT BET!!! thumbs-up.gifthumbs-up.gif

Has anyone seen the ticket prices for the Espanyol game???!!!

£15 FOR ADULTS??!!

Disgrase! I was going to go but that is just rediculous...

335406[/snapback]

I've just posted about this in the pre-seasons thread.

WHY is £15 too much ? It is hardly likely to cost Rovers any less to host than a Prem game so why should fans expect to get cheap tickets for it ?

(Replies to the other thread, it's more suitable than this thread).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.