BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Never Mind Sacked!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Resurrected this Officials thread because of last saturday's officials aberration

The C5 comment on the incident was should Edwards have owned up? Forgetting the issue that it was a vital away goal if he had confessed he'd then have been booked I presume? If so then why would it have been a caution? How can it be fair that if a defender had stopped a certain goal by palming the ball wide he would have been sent off without any arguments but in this instance the ball was palmed in. A goal through cheating is the same as a goal prevented by cheating isn't it? i'd wager if this was deemed a sending off offence Edwards would never have dared do what he did?

Just as an aside heaven help a Spurs forward if he'd got away with one of those at OT on Saturday.... the press, media, FA, Premier League, politicians, celebrities from Essex, Uncle Tom Cobbley and all would have been building a gallows as we speak!

• Like 1

• Backroom

The media loved reporting on United's demise during the Moyes era :lol: and were gleeful when LVG started off badly as well.

Considering they would be well aware the majority of their readers hate United, why in the world would they back them?

The media loved reporting on United's demise during the Moyes era :lol: and were gleeful when LVG started off badly as well.

Considering they would be well aware the majority of their readers hate United, why in the world would they back them?

I've been scratching my head on that for over 50 years now, but they do! Appears summert to do with a plane crash and then some kid with a haircut like the Beatles.

Edited by thenodrog

The popular papers back all the "big clubs" - because it is in their interests to do so. The big clubs have the most fans / readers.

How do you know "the majority of their readers hate United" ? Seeing as United probably have the biggest fanbase in the country it is highly unlikely anyway.

Was the Moyes reporting gleeful ? I don't think so - just a cracking story.

You're wrong on this. There's no anti-ManU agenda in the media.

The popular papers back all the "big clubs" - because it is in their interests to do so. The big clubs have the most fans / readers.

How do you know "the majority of their readers hate United" ? Seeing as United probably have the biggest fanbase in the country it is highly unlikely anyway.

I'd imagine under 50% of readers are Utd fans.

And if you're not a Utd fan and you don't despise them even just a little bit then you're not right! ^_^

Edited by mustard
  • Like 1

Its a sad state of affairs when you are on the losing end of a game and its down to a moment of unfairness/cheating (whatever you want to call it)

You would hope there would be some players out there who would make a lot of noise at the moment it occurs on the pitch to say "no ref, it can't stand" even if that meant their team didn't get the result etc.

http://metro.co.uk/2012/09/27/miroslav-klose-scores-handball-goal-but-tells-referee-to-chalk-it-off-586966/

on a different note, the refereeing in the championship is very questionable...

This should have been spotted by the ref and/or linesman.

He officiated for the Rovers-Legia Warsaw game in the Champions League - the game when Shearer missed a last minute one-on-one that would have taken us to the quarter-finals.

Is that true? I forget little details like that! I often wonder how things could have turned out...

Its a sad state of affairs when you are on the losing end of a game and its down to a moment of unfairness/cheating (whatever you want to call it)

You would hope there would be some players out there who would make a lot of noise at the moment it occurs on the pitch to say "no ref, it can't stand" even if that meant their team didn't get the result etc.

http://metro.co.uk/2012/09/27/miroslav-klose-scores-handball-goal-but-tells-referee-to-chalk-it-off-586966/

All of the players put their hands up - four players in unison. Players are bad liars and when they all claim simultaneously and independently they are usually telling the truth. The ref knew it wasn't right and had players round him explaining it. At first he half heartedly gave the freekick to us, and then bottled it and walk towards the linesman - who clearly hadn't seen it - and they exchanged a look that said 'I don't know, do you'. He then overruled himself and gave the goal. Gutless. The ref should be censured and the player should be penalised retrospectively. Neither will happen.

We have a small time manager who thinks sending DVDs to the league will have an effect on penalties, and they have an experienced, respected manager. If he gets it wrong who will give him the most grief? Whose report card will be the most damning?

If ever our transition to small time championship club was cemented it was in that moment. A bit like the Swansea match last season when the thicko commentator said beating Swansea was one of the greatest days in our history.

• Like 1

There isn't but there should be. MU do polarise opinion and I'd wager no matter how well they are supported it wont amount to as many as the massed ranks of abu's.

Conversation snippet overheard in Wolverhampton pub yesterday: "Edwards couldn't get his hand out of the way so it doesn't matter". Unreal. But not surprising.

His arm was at full stretch ffs!

I could understand the ref because Edwards arm would prob have been hidden by his body but even with the sun against him the linesman should have seen it! The ref should have learned something from the reaction of both sets of players and the supporters too!. (btw given the plethora of cricketers and golfers playing in shades these days I've never seen a match official in them. I'd have thought sunglasses and or a cap with a neb would assist linesmen no end, especially when I noticed most of the Riverside doing their customary 'salute' when the sun is in their eyes.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.