BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Burnley 0-1 Rovers

There have been many many games for me to ponder adding my bit in this fantastic thread. I am sure there will be others that mention the games I wanted to but didnt.

This particular game stands out as I was one of 18 that got into a friends Landrover to make the "violent" journey over to the land of the dingles. Violent was a word most associated with these sets of fans at a time when footie violence was rife, it was also obviously a hot potato around the world but the very mention of a Rovers v Burnley match on the horizon was talked about from mid summer all the way up to Christmas and then finally Boxing Day morning.

Winter in Wheelton used to be fantastic. Abbey, being a fellow villager will endorse this. No school buses to make it down the hill would lead to OZZIE JONES being left in French on his own ! That apart from 8 girlies and he wonderful Olive Martin, the French teacher with the key and who had a smile that would make the hardest lad buckle to his knees and wet his shorts.

Anyhow back to the footie.

The journey in the Landrover was hectic. A big old monstrous deisel chugging its way over to Burnley. Fans of both supporters all over the place, fighting on bridges, fighting under bridges and on that main road as you approach dingleland, the area around the old nightclub and bus station was a sight for sore bodies.

That walk upto the turd was probably one fo the most hairiest I have ever done. It was tremendous. Stones, bottles and bricks, cans and everything and anything that could be thrown whizzing past your eyes and ears. It didnt matter as I was in a group of Brinscall/Wheelton and Withnell lads, all fervent hardmen and Rovers fanatics, all had dealings with violence at football, both as victims and offenders !

Enter the ground. fantastic. The atmosphere was not what you would call great. VIOLENT it most certainly was. Coins and concrete came over no mans land on the Longside. I think I went home later with about £20, my pockets full to the brim.

I cannot remember much about the game itself, however, quite rightly the show belonged to one of Blackburns Sons, Simon Garner. Pass, Shot Goal 1-0 Rovers. Mentality broke out on the Longside quickly followed by a Rovers takeover in the old Beehole end.

At half time I recall older lads stopping the younger ones going to the toilets as the low wall at the back of the Longside was just the scene of one of the most chaotic battles between supporters.

At the final whislte, I remember some clown lobbing an almighty piece of concrete over the no mans land and part of hit hitting a bobby, the rest showering the taunting Rovers fans. But it didnt matter, the enemy was beaten and a new song was born. That is the chant relating to Boxing Day.

As a youngster, never have I enjoyed walking back to a vehicle as much in my life. If Beiruit was bad then Burnley was worse. I remember getting back and my dad telling me how lucky I was still to be alive after such a result.

I lived to tell the tale and I have been there ever since.

Thanks Rovers for a wonderful late Christmas present, it is definately one the best ever I have ever received.

tinykit.gif

I was at that game too....sat in the cricket field stand, when garner scored loads jumped up and a brawl followed..

I was due to go on a coach from Waterside, Darwen but it was full so went by car and mingled in with the Dingles as away end full..

The coach arrived late and they were put in the old beehole end, hence the melee you referred to..

Outside was a warzone and I remember one dingle with a Burnley FC union jack tied around his neck draped over his shoulders..giving it large

A couple of hours later on the way back driving thro Rishton he was on the side of the road walking with some other zeros when a car full of Rovers stopped and steamed into him right in front of us..

• 1 month later...
No school buses to make it down the hill would lead to OZZIE JONES being left in French on his own ! That apart from 8 girlies and he wonderful Olive Martin, the French teacher with the key and who had a smile that would make the hardest lad buckle to his knees and wet his shorts.

382931[/snapback]

I was wagging it down Astley Park Warren.

Putting rocks in snowballs to throw at Saint Micks kids.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.