BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sheff Wed 1 Rovers 2

One of the largest away followings in recent times must have been for this game. Free buses or cheap tickets - I can't remember which - meant a huge convoy of coaches stretching back for what seemed to be a mile on the way to Hillsbrough.

Don't remember too much about the game, but I think Cole scored his first goal for us. After a 2-0 lead Wednesday got one back through, I think, Ekoku.

Mostly I remember the Sheff Wed fans nearest to us constantly trying to wind us up. They seemed more interested in that rather than the match. There was also some rumours of a bit of trouble outside the ground (the away fans seemed to walk straight into the home fans from the next stand on the way back to the coaches) but I didn't see any.

A great night when it was a great time to be a Rovers fan. Even the press liked us then for our swashbuckling gung-ho attacking style. thumbs-up.gif

After Coles goal, the whole Leppings Lane end , around 5,000 of us all singing

Andy Cole, Andy Cole, Andy Andy Cole...Gets the ball, scores a goal, Andy Andy Cole!

Went over the tops in a car. Stopped at Old Glossop for a pint and a curry , in a pub/curry house. Classic.

Remember it well, got there early and the pub we got in before the game was just like The Slaughtered Lamb of American Werewolf in London fame.

FLB, there was quite a bit of scuffling post match. Saw one Rovers fan get a bit of a shoeing and the coppers then lift him for his troubles.

Great game though.

I dont recall any trouble at Hillsbrough walking back, It had the hallmarks though as we walked right through their fans.

I remember some hassle at Ewood, I was sat in the Darwen End and coins were being thrown, the ex g/f was missed by a coin by a whisker. Thats then the coppers who looked like Darth Vader came into play!

Didnt they rip a few seats up?

I went to Hillsbrough, 7000 fans from Rovers, the blow up sheep, the loudspeaker telling us to sit down, it was packed. I was only 9

394939[/snapback]

There werent 7,000 I know we filled top and bottom but we only had a few on that open air seating to the left of the away end

There werent 7,000 I know we filled top and bottom but we only had a few on that open air seating to the left of the away end

395010[/snapback]

I think there were 7000 rovers fans. Free travel and the number sticks in my mind.

Certainly I can only remember Leppings Lane End as being in desperate need of a bit cash being spent on it. No beer available in the ground, pillars aplenty to obscure the view and the people selling the overpriced beer/pies/bovril etc were behind metal cages!

A great ground to watch football, a throwback to an earlier age and the facilities were having no problem in matching those fifties standards!

Is that including the side part?

395073[/snapback]

Yes, according to the Wednesday site, there are 6,965 seats in the upper and lower tier of the Leppings Lane end. Consdiering the total capasity of the end is 8,000 including the open air corner, we must have had just over 7K there (the sold out upper and lower) and the few scattered in the corner bit.

Had a good view of the trouble at the Ewood leg. was in Jack Walker upper with bro-in-law (his 1st game) & my nephew. One Wednesday fan got a proper 'crack' from one of those long trunchions the police have....his mates dragged him away, blood pouring from his head. My nephew thought it was the coolest thing ever & said he wanted to be a riot policeman biggrin.gif Bless his cotton socks.

we went old fashioned tranny van style ,set off at 12 ..went on the ale big style .we went back to the same boozer after the game and left at 12 got home about 2ish and had to drive to work at 7 ..oh man i still rememer the headache.

Great night - I got a lift but remember seeing 100s of Rovers coaches on the M62 on the way back.

I was sat next to the steps - so when Rovers scored I legged it down to the front (reflex reaction) and lost the people I went with.

Andy Cole songs were great that night.

The return leg was funny too as I took some Wednesday fans I knew at Uni at the time. They spent the second half drinking under the stand as they couldnt watch Wednesday lose.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.