SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Behind The Rovers : A Visual Guide Of Blackburn

dillo_dillo

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic website! You have quite a talent for photography.

396963[/snapback]

Thanks!! These're taken by my cheapish foolproof compact digital camera. But, I've got single-lens reflex camera!! ... maybe I'll take more sharp, clear photos.

(If I took good photos about local supporters, some photos on my book. It'll sell out at Jun in Japan)

List of Chinese restaurants in Manchester. The Yang Sing is legendary!

396965[/snapback]

Manchester's Chinese restaurant are tasty?

Is that famous?... sorry I don't know about it....

Manchester's Chinese restaurant are tasty?

Is that famous?... sorry I don't know about it....

396977[/snapback]

The Yang Sing is VERY famous. Great food, great atmosphere.

Annother offer of a bed for your stay, free of charge. Not near Blackburn, in Peterborough, but if willing to travel only 2 1/2 hours away, just me and the cat, and I will probably be working most of the time but a crash pad is a crash pad.

Plus great for visiting any other areas of the UK especially the big smoke AKA London, 1hr by train. PM if interested.

P.S. Offer open to all fellow posters if in the area. Just PM me

I'll also throw my name into the hat if you are looking to see things in and around London. Guildford won't be useful to getting to Blackburn, but I don't know what the rest of your plans are.

Thank you for your kind offer.

I stay in Manchester and Blackburn In this travel. next time smile.gif

As for me, Blackburn (Lancashire) is more attractive than London.

I'm a big fan of Rovers and same as the place, landscape , people that living, local culture and history. The people misses the charm of the place where it lives. I can't miss it.'cause, I'm a stranger in there. maybe It make different view(vision) on for me.

most Japanese Rovers fan's been to Ewood Park, They did just one day trip from London. They didn't plan to stay Blackburn / Mancester area. 'cause Tourist guide is not attatract to us.

I feel so frustrate.

Edited by dillo_dillo

Thank you for your kind offer.

I stay in Manchester and Blackburn In this travel. next time smile.gif

As for me, Blackburn (Lancashire) is more attractive than London.

I'm a big fan of Rovers and same as the place, landscape , people that living, local culture and history. The people misses the charm of the place where it lives.  I can't miss it.'cause, I'm a stranger in there. maybe It make different view(vision) on for me.

most Japanese Rovers fan's been to Ewood Park, They did just one day trip from London. They didn't plan to stay Blackburn / Mancester area. 'cause Tourist guide is not attatract to us.

I feel so frustrate.

397123[/snapback]

Im from Asia too. Let me know how much will be the total cost of your stay over in Lancashire. I will be saving up. tongue.gif

Thank you.

Could you tell me where is that?

and, Could you recommend other good or interesting places in Manchester?

396232[/snapback]

Rusholme is known as "The Curry Mile"as it full of curry houses with bright lights, shops which stay open until very late, and a general feeling that you are in India rather than Manchester. To be truthful most of the shops are run by Bangladeshi people. You'd get some good photos there. It is just south of the city centre, past the University

You could also get some good photos in the centre of Manchester of you just look up from ground level and see the marvellous architecture which appears above the shop fronts.

No worrie, I hate big cities to! have you or do you plan to do any hill walking this time round? If so I know a couple that you'd probably enjoy, and some that will cause you to start looking for some new feet! tongue.gif

397256[/snapback]

I really want to go towalk around the beautifull hills!

(If it is fine...weather...)

I never seen badger & hedgehog. Are they living in Lancashire hills?

Rusholme is known as "The Curry Mile"as it full of curry houses with bright lights, shops which stay open until very late, and a general feeling that you are in India rather than Manchester.  To be truthful most of the shops are run by Bangladeshi people. You'd get some good photos there. It is just south of the city centre, past the University

You could also get some good photos in the centre of Manchester of you just look up from ground level and see the marvellous architecture which appears above the shop fronts.

397339[/snapback]

I've missed to eat manchester's curry last time.

I'll take it in this time!

And, What's the most famous Lancashire's food?

I'd like to eat local foods.

And, What's the most famous Lancashire's food?

I'd like to eat local foods.

397344[/snapback]

Dillo, if you're spending any time in Blackburn, I'd recommend a visit to Blackburn Indoor Market, the food part anyway. Must admit I haven't been for a year or two so bow to local knowledge if things have changed a bit, but there were stalls that sold locally made Lancashire cheese, sarsaparilla, and black pudding (just don't ask what goes into black pudding!) - all are local 'specialities' and posters more local than me can maybe recommend which stalls to visit. I take no responsibility if any of these put you off Rovers though!

Both Badgers and hedgehogs live in and around Blackburn. both are nocturnal, however you are likely the see a hedgehog! they are plentiful in number and even venture into urban environments!

Badgers are much more shy, their sets, are not publicized and they are only fund in rural areas, your best bet would be to try and find some local wildlife centres/outdoor centres and see if they run badgers watching schemes. But be prepared for a long wait with little realistic chance of seeing any, they a very shy and will scamper at the slightest whiff of us humans!

Edited by Rovers Air Force

I had a hedgehog living in my garden for several years, it used to come out at the same time every night. Sadly it has died now. I've found it very interesting that when we came here in 1991 there wre few birds about, but somehow, since the M65 was built, there are many different birds visiting our garden! Plenty of squirrels around as well, they taunt the cats in the summer!

We can visit the visitor centres in Chorley (Yarrow Valley and Cuerden) and Astley Hall. Don't know if Houghton Towers is open yet. You can sample the delights of Chorley, Dillo! Lancashire is a really beautiful county, it will take you several visits to see it all.

Eating local food...maybe It's an important things behind the Rovers...

user posted image

Lancashire Hot Pot

397359[/snapback]

I searched it. ...Lamb’s kidneys...

OK, I'll try it.

I'd recommend a visit to Blackburn Indoor Market, the food part anyway.  Must admit I haven't been for a year or two so bow to local knowledge if things have changed a bit, but there were stalls that sold locally made Lancashire cheese, sarsaparilla, and black pudding (just don't ask what goes into black pudding!) - all are local 'specialities' and posters more local than me can maybe recommend which stalls to visit.  I take no responsibility if any of these put you off Rovers though!

397392[/snapback]

I love that market.

Black pudding : I really want to know what ingredients of that.... but I CAN NOt ask you...

and I'm very interesting startling variety of pies !! I'd like to eat as many pies as I can.

user posted image

http://www.890564.com/brfc/braindump/nov04/

Both Badgers and hedgehogs live in and around Blackburn. both are nocturnal, however you are likely the see a hedgehog! they are plentiful in number and even venture into urban environments!

Badgers are much more shy, their sets, are not publicized and they are only fund in rural areas, your best bet would be to try and find some local wildlife centres/outdoor centres and see if they run badgers watching schemes. But be prepared for a long wait with little realistic chance of seeing any, they a very shy and will scamper at the slightest whiff of us humans!

397397[/snapback]

Thanks.

It's difficult to see them in short time stay...

( I bumped into wild mountain lion when I was tracking at the US south -west. It was very exciting.)

I had a hedgehog living in my garden for several years, it used to come out at the same time every night.  Sadly it has died now.  I've found it very interesting that when we came here in 1991 there wre few birds about, but somehow, since the M65 was built, there are many different birds visiting our garden!  Plenty of squirrels around as well, they taunt the cats in the summer!

We can visit the visitor centres in Chorley (Yarrow Valley and Cuerden) and Astley Hall.  Don't know if Houghton Towers is open yet.  You can sample the delights of Chorley, Dillo!  Lancashire is a really beautiful county, it will take you several visits to see it all.

397398[/snapback]

Hedgehog was living in your garden ! WOW!

Astley Hall, Houghton Towers... I'm planning to visit historic edifices.

I'm interesting in antique textiles and old mills....I searched it....I'll visit to the Textile Museum.(Ohhhh...It's in Burnley!!!!)

I'm interesting in antique textiles and old mills....I searched it....I'll visit to the Textile Museum.(Ohhhh...It's in Burnley!!!!)

397434[/snapback]

Have a look at these:

Gallery Of Costume, Platt Hall, Rusholme, Manchester (which is next to the Curry Mile)

here

Helmshore textile Museum (maybe a bit hard to get to)

here

Lewis Textile Museum, Blackburn

here

Macclesfield Silk Museums (lots of trains from Manchester Picadilly)

here

Manchester Museum Of Science & Industry (has old textile steam-driven machinery plus a full display of Manchester's textile history. It's interesting.)

here

If those web sites give you the "postcode" you can put it into

here

and it will show you where they are.

Edited by colin

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.