BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Train Crash At Preston

I was on the football special train coming back from Carlisle in the 80s after an away game at Brunton Park that had a brake failure steaming into Preston railway station and ended up smashing into another train.

Still the closest I have come to dying (to my knowledge!) so far, and wondered if any other members had also been on that train, and would like to share their memories of the event and day. Can't find anything about it on the internet. It did happen didn't it??

I only suffered damaged ribs, smashed teeth and concussion, but I remember seeing Paul Astley go flying through a glass window and ending up looking like Terry Butcher !

• Like 1

Deffo Preston as I remember thinking we could end up in the River Ribble crashing off the bridge here. Didn't bother with the compo claim back then, some lads got around 2 grand I beleive. If it happened again today you can bet I would be claiming now, for around 2 million.

but I remember seeing Paul Astley go flying through a glass window and ending up looking like Terry Butcher !

407275[/snapback]

Paul Astley, as in "Gaz" Astley. If it's the same bloke I am thinking he used to drive me and me mates to a lot of the away games.

Believe it or not I've still got the Evening Telegraph with report & pics. blink.gif

I would have been on the train but 'cos we played Everton in FA Cup the week after, I got a lift with mates instead, Ewood first for our tickets, then on to Carlisle.

Nothing to do with a crash, but does anyone know what happened to the train station that was supposedly being built at Ewood?

408230[/snapback]

The station was going to be near Longworth Street, I think?

Residents' objections were upheld, so the proposal was scrapped.

Believe it or not I've still got the Evening Telegraph with report & pics. blink.gif

I would have been on the train but 'cos we played Everton in FA Cup the week after, I got a lift with mates instead, Ewood first for our tickets, then on to Carlisle.

408376[/snapback]

Is there any way of getting some quotes up on here at all?

• 2 weeks later...

The other recollection I have of this trip-I did not go- was that Rovers supporters said the train driver did really well to warn everybody etc, but that in a later investigation he was either sacked or demoted.

Wheelton Blues were onboard Ozz, none injured only pride.

I remember Paul Astley very well a top bloke.

I wonder if he remembers when the coach from Chorley to Shrewsbury broke down and I jumped in the drivers seat whilst they all had their heads under the front end and I turned the ignition key ?

Got a pasting for my troubles but eventually we got the game at half time !!!

Wheelton Blues were onboard Ozz, none injured only pride.

I remember Paul Astley very well a top bloke.

I wonder if he remembers when the coach from Chorley to Shrewsbury broke down and I jumped in the drivers seat whilst they all had their heads under the front end and I turned the ignition key ?

Got a pasting for my troubles but eventually we got the game at half time !!!

Was that the away game in Sept 1981?

Me and my son were visiting UK from Rhodesia at that time and Steve Clarkson, my mate from Clitheroe, drove us down to Gay Meadow.

Noel Brotherston scored a superb goal to give us a 2-1 victory.

More great memories from the Bazza archives!

An archive section should be created with that sort of report taking pride of place. You can't find much about our past on the net be it football or fans. Paper clippings and any old footage is fascinating to me and I’m sure many more.

Lets start an archive section with the train report taking pride of place?

On a similar (but different <_< ) note,

I remember being told of the Bury station accident, i think during the 50s. (?)

...where a bridge over the tracks (full of travelling rovers fans) collapsed, injuring lots of people.

A bloke i know, says he was there, but not actually on the bridge.

It is also said that a young Jack Walker was also at the station & helped his fellow injured rovers fans.

Does anybody know more about this incident? I`d be interested to hear more about it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.