BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers 7-1 Norwich

Jim J

Just watched this game on ESPN classic, what great memories.

We still had the old ground, and Norwich came to Ewood top of the premiership, we were 2nd.

We took the game to them from the 1st minute, and Shearer was at his best, scoring 2 and setting up 2 for Wegerley. Cowans, Sherwood and Ripley got the others, and both Shearer and Wegerley should have had hat-tricks. That win put us on top of the premiership, and was a warning to the other teams that we weren't here for the ride.

The atmoshphere sounded superb, no drummer in sight. Happy days :tu:

I was standing with my dad at the front of the Nuttall Street stand for this game.

That lob by Shearer is not shown enough, it was real quality and not a typical Shearer goal either. I remember at the time thinkning Gordan Cowans was the greatest midfield player ever, closely followed by Kevin Moran!

• 11 months later...

I wasn't there (I worked Saturdays back then) but got home before full-time. The wind was blowing in the right direction (from Ewood to Mill Hill) and I heard the cheers, it felt like every 5 minutes. Remember this was the Norwich who had pulled off a famous victory at Bayern Munich midweek!

I wasn't there (I worked Saturdays back then) but got home before full-time. The wind was blowing in the right direction (from Ewood to Mill Hill) and I heard the cheers, it felt like every 5 minutes. Remember this was the Norwich who had pulled off a famous victory at Bayern Munich midweek!

I thought Norwich were in the Uefa cup the year after.

• 4 weeks later...

was it 7-1 or 7-2 against West Ham? I used to have a picture of the scoreboard but cant find it.

I remember that game (apart from how many they scored), was sat in the Darwen End next to the Hammers fans, we gave them so much stick, especially Chris Acabussi who was sat with them. It was a sunday game.

was it 7-1 or 7-2 against West Ham? I used to have a picture of the scoreboard but cant find it.

I remember that game (apart from how many they scored), was sat in the Darwen End next to the Hammers fans, we gave them so much stick, especially Chris Acabussi who was sat with them. It was a sunday game.

Just the 1 Jim. Scored by a young Carrick if memory serves.

• 2 weeks later...

That was a memorable game. I was in the Enclosure having moved there from the End which had become somewhat overcrowded that year! Shearer's lob was special, the Norwich keeper was just rooted to the spot. Cowans free kick was pretty spectacular as well...seems like yesterday... can't believe it was 15 years ago!

We beat Sheffield Wednesday 7-2 at Ewood, maybe thats why you're getting confuddled :rover:

The Guardian

Monday 6th October

Shearer Dines In Style After Ritual Slaughter

Stephen Bierley (who has probably neverb written a stranger opening paragraph)

There were probably lions roaming the streets of Norwich on Friday evening, and the entrails of Saturday morning’s

breakfast sausages no doubt warranted a second look. But City, like Julius Caesar, could not resist a crowd and

were ritually slaughtered.

Surely it can never have happened before at this stage of the season that the leading team were knocked off the

top by their nearest rivals in such spectacular fashion.

Blackburn, after this week- end’s international lull, next play Aston Villa away and Manchester United at home.

Four points from those two games and few would dare dismiss their championship potential. The defence remains

suspect but as an attacking force they can be compelling, galvanised by Shearer’s irresistible form.

Norwich had begun with a quiet determination born of recent success. They were purposeful and neat, setting out

their garden-party stall with crisply ironed cloth and the best silver, china and crystal glass. Rovers passed

an admiring eye over the arrangement, then opened the wicket gate and let loose the raging bull.

The panic was not immediate. Indeed, Bowen took the ball off Shearer’s toes with such complete calmness and assurance

that there was not the slightest hint Norwich’s world was about to cave in so horridly.

There are some defenders — Alan Hansen springs to mind — who could stop a charging elephant

in its tracks with a flicker of an eyebrow. Ian Butterworth is not one of these, at least not on this afternoon.

A swift ball into the corner after nine misrepresentative minutes left the Norwich defender in a one-to-one situation

with Shearer. Two things were in Butterworth’s favour: he had a 10-yard start and he could choose the angle by which to

close the striker down. But Shearer beat him to the ball, drew him to the line and skinned him.

Wegerele, caught in some far- off world of admiration, almost made a complete cocktail of Shearer’s cross, but such

was the schism in City’s defence that he scored at the second try. After. that, almost everything Rovers tried succeeded.

There was not, as Kenny Daiglish conceded, a six-goal difference between the teams, nor did Norwich drop their heads,

Neither should it be concluded that Blackburn are a one-man show; they all work extremely hard and enthusiastically

for one another. Wegerle, for instance, can be the most frustratingly wayward of players, yet here he played his part

to the full, channeling, his skills where they hurt Norwich the most. Both his goals

came from Shearer’s passes, the second after the England striker had shoulder-charged Butterworth off the ball like

Bobby Smith of old.

Both Shearer’s goals, taking his tally to 13, were gems. The first, Blackburn’s fourth, saw him play a one-two with

Sherwood — revelling in the destruction of his former club and the scorer of an excellent headed goal — before beating

the advancing and almost totally blameless Gunn with an exquisite lob.

It is impossible not to be slightly spellbound by a year’s happenings at Blackburn, Dalglish celebrating his first

anniversary next Monday. Both St James’ Park and Ewood Park are currently touched with a magic that positively lifts

the spirits- Football is fun, which has nothing to do with the hyped-up nonsense of USkyB “entertainment”.

The childlike enthusiasm may not last, but savour it while it does.

Scorers: Rovers Wegerlie (9 32). Sherwood (27). shearer (43, 76), Cowana (84), RIpley (71). NorwIch Newman (39).

Blackburn Rover., Mimms; Brown, Wright, Sherwood, Hendry. Moran (Marker, 80), Ripley (Wilcox, 80), Atkins, shearer,

Wegerie, Cowans.

NorwIch City Gunn; Culverhouse, Bowen. Bullerworth, Sutton. Stitch, Crook. Newman, Robins, Goss, Phillips (Power. 84).

• 5 months later...

I remember this game very, very well. In fact, it was the first game where I found myself falling in love with BRFC. I think I have it on tape somewhere in an attic at my parents' house...hope like hell I can still find it when I go home to visit this summer.

This game was just an awesome display from beginning to end, and you almost had to feel a bit sorry for Norwich City's players: each one of them had these "Jesus, how much longer until the final whistle?" looks on their faces near the end.

I loved seeing Shearer go point both hands towards the crowd after scoring each goal.

With the massive amount of money in today's game though, it's hard to imagine we'll ever see a young, up-and-coming team have a crack at Premier League glory like that again.

• 3 months later...
Remember thinking this Norwich lot were gonna be hard to beat. How wrong I was. Stood in the Enclosure. Shearer was about 22 and that lob was as cheeky as his young face! Only travelled to Ewood once a month. As luck would have it......7-1!
I always wanted to know what Cowans said to Richard Brown after the free kick that caused so much manic laughter. I asked both over the years and `Sid` couldn`t remember and Brown would not say for some reason.

That morning, the Norwich players were training in Witton Park. Doing shuttle runs. It would appear some of them (Butterworth, Culverhouse etc) ended a little heavy legged. Not to take anything away from the XI who turned out that day. A fantastic memory.

does anyone have a recording of the game.. would be happy to pay for a copy :)

I remember all too well being there.. was living in Norwich at the time.. my mum suprised me by buying a ticket while we where visiting our old haunts in Darwen..

God bless her she could only get me in with the Norwich lads.. I remember seeing myself on TV near the end of the match as they panned through the glum Norwich supporters, and there is little old me celebrating number 6... lol

Lucky for me Norwich fans are rather passive

blimey.. dont think it could have got any better for me.. was living in Norwich so had major gloating rights.. was my first ever rovers game (as I moved from blackburn as a Kid).. Norwich where top.. scoreline was insane.. ahh what memories.. :)

''It is impossible not to be slightly spellbound by a year’s happenings at Blackburn, Dalglish celebrating his first

anniversary next Monday. It is impossible not to be slightly spellbound by a year’s happenings at Blackburn, Dalglish celebrating his first anniversary next Monday. Both St James’ Park and Ewood Park are currently touched with a magic that positively lifts

the spirits- Football is fun,which has nothing to do with the hyped-up nonsense of USkyB “entertainment”.

The childlike enthusiasm may not last, but savour it while it does.''

It really was that heartwarming and new back then,never a truer word spoken.A brilliant game and a brilliant season,the atmosphere was tremendous on the old packed and swaying Blackburn End,we had experienced nothing like it for a long time...I cherish that old VHS video

Looking back Rovers then were a team so motivated and confident it was untrue!

And Shearer's 20 yrd chip....... you cheeky,cheeky Brilliant barsteward you :tu:

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.