BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Simon Garner...any Clips?

Not being very old (I'm 22), I have never seen any footage of Simon Garner playing. I looked on youtube and there doesn't seem to be any clips of him there. I'm wondering if anybody could obtain footage of this legend plying his trade, and put it up on youtube?

(EDIT: I thought I'd compile all the clips onto the first post so that people can easily view them instead of trawling through the entire thread. So, here...and thanks to Whittle Blue, Elwaxo and Hasta:)

Rovers v Barnsley 1989 - Simon Garner hat trick

5-4 victory

just found this...

Rovers v Villa

vStoke(a) (No Garner goals on this one, just David Mail)

Rovers v Derby 1987

Welling (a) FA Cup

v Wolves (a)

v Wolves (h)

And while we're at it, nothing to do with Simon Garner other than that it's BRFC, but why not:

Burnley away 2000

If anyone knows the scorers (in order) of any of the goals there, let me know and I'll edit the info into it.

Edited by bluebruce

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be fab - Garner scoring 5 against Derby (?) (memory is going!), meat pie, a pint and a packet of woodbines before a game... and he was STILL able to beat most defenders to the ball even with them having a 20 yard start.

One of the hardest working footballers ever to wear the famous blue and white halves - young Matty D reminds me of Garner in the way he chases and chases and works for the team - an ablsoute legend.

I like the online museum idea - surely we could get a brewery, bakery or tobacco company to sponsor it ;)

That would be fab - Garner scoring 5 against Derby (?) (memory is going!), meat pie, a pint and a packet of woodbines before a game... and he was STILL able to beat most defenders to the ball even with them having a 20 yard start.

One of the hardest working footballers ever to wear the famous blue and white halves - young Matty D reminds me of Garner in the way he chases and chases and works for the team - an ablsoute legend.

I like the online museum idea - surely we could get a brewery, bakery or tobacco company to sponsor it ;)

I would imagine somebody out there would have an old vhs cassette with some vintage Garns on it suitable for U tube. Get uploading, would be tremendous!

I seem to remember when the old BBE was demolished the Rovers FC sign was put in storage to be displayed in a museum to be housed in the reconstructed stadium. The sign, of course, has a great new location - the museum has gone the same way as the railway station at the back of The Riverside!

The telly companies were all there for Kenny Dalglish's first game in charge - we beat Plymouth 5-2 and SG scored a couple of classics. There'll be footage of that somewhere if we can get hold of it. Or what about the thrashing we gave Man City when SG scored all five - that was on telly as well because City were a big club and promotion was theirs by right.

John Lowey!

Check out the gate :blink:

LOL,that game was from the 1983/84 season ,but i remember when them gates were a way of life at Ewood.

If we got 17,000 today, we would call it a disaster, but we don't always realise how lucky we are,but those fans loved Blackburn Rovers just as much as the fans do today.

It's great to see just how far we have come in a few decades, but lets not forget our past.

Wether its Ronnie Clayton, Simon Garner, Matt jansen,Alan Shearer, or Benni Mccarthy , they're all Rovers legends B)

Speaking of Garner's, Joe has just scored yet another one for Carlisle. He must have a good ratio now!

EDIT: Jeff Stelling on SSN has just told all the viewers that Joe Garner has scored another for Carlisle and he is the son of Simon Garner the famous Blackburn Rovers player and Joe is on loan from Blackburn at present.

Edited by Fife Rover

EDIT: Jeff Stelling on SSN has just told all the viewers that Joe Garner has scored another for Carlisle and he is the son of Simon Garner the famous Blackburn Rovers player and Joe is on loan from Blackburn at present.

I thought it said that! Silly Jeff!

Thanks, I thought Simon might have been an uncle or something. Odd really as both play for Rovers, and are strikers.

Here we are.This extract is from Wikipedia.

.............................................................................................................................................................................................

Joe Garner (born 12 April 1988 in Blackburn) is a professional footballer who plays for Blackburn Rovers. He plays as a striker, the same position as his namesake Simon Garner, Blackburn's highest-ever goalscorer. Contrary to some stories, the two are not related. On January 19, 2007, Garner joined Carlisle United on loan until the end of the 2006-07 season

............................................................................................................................................................................................

Who knows,he's only 18,he may become a Rovers legend one day.It can't do him any harm getting some first team experience wiith Carlisle.Wish the lad well.

I do have a vhs of garner and lots more players including speedie shearer newell etc... but i dont have the means to upload it.

Incase you want to look it up somewhere its called Golden Goals collection Blackburn Rovers, Im lucky Rovers arent popular here because it only cost me Lm1 which is like 1.80 sterling

It has goals from 1981 - 1993. Its quite an old vhs so theres no website either.

I was in the Clayton and Douglas lounge one game as a guest, and Ronnie Clayton came over to each table having a chat. He was talking about Rovers etc and I was listening avidly. I'm probably more into football than my dad now, who first introduced me to Rovers, but Ronnie said 'sorry ladies another football story' :) . He was however a thoroughly interesting and likeable guy.

I'm too young to remember him playing but i'll cherish my guest invitation that they both signed for me :tu:

The telly companies were all there for Kenny Dalglish's first game in charge - we beat Plymouth 5-2 and SG scored a couple of classics. There'll be footage of that somewhere if we can get hold of it.

Still got the promotion season VHS video somewhere in storage. if anyone knows how to transfer it onto youtube please let me know & i`ll av a go.

I`ve also got the Full members cup final video somewhere.

I do have a vhs of garner and lots more players including speedie shearer newell etc... but i dont have the means to upload it.

Incase you want to look it up somewhere its called Golden Goals collection Blackburn Rovers, Im lucky Rovers arent popular here because it only cost me Lm1 which is like 1.80 sterling

It has goals from 1981 - 1993. Its quite an old vhs so theres no website either.

Can anybody give Mafioso a hand with that then? Oh, and Cletus..

Rip it to AVI (with a Video Capture Card for computer) or burn to DVD (DVD Recorder burning from VCR)

If you rip to AVI depending on the length of fiel you may need to some good backup space

I think youtube will take AVI, if not convert it to FLV (Flash) using RIVA Free Encoder

If you burn to DVD rip the DVD files from disc onto your computer then convert to FLV

IF I get time, I've got some recordings (the Man. city game & all sorts of stuff from news items).

I need a bit of help to get me on the way.

I've got a DVD recorder.

Trouble is when I've recorded tapes to DVD, the disc will work only in the DVD recorder.

It wont work on another player or even in the PC drive.

Why????

(The discs are DVD -R but don't have to be).

Ta

IF I get time, I've got some recordings (the Man. city game & all sorts of stuff from news items).

I need a bit of help to get me on the way.

I've got a DVD recorder.

Trouble is when I've recorded tapes to DVD, the disc will work only in the DVD recorder.

It wont work on another player or even in the PC drive.

Why????

(The discs are DVD -R but don't have to be).

Ta

Did you finalise them before trying to play in another player? Until they are finalised they will only play in the machine they were recorded in. The other possibility that would give you that problem is if you have formated your disk in the VR mode; to be able to play back in any DVD player or PC-DVD slot you must format in Video Mode. However this should not apply to DVD-R disks as they do not need formatting!

Edited by Fife Rover

Would love to see a copy of the season review video of the game when we beat Barnsley 5-0 at Ewood. Must of been around 88-89 time, Garner scored a hat trick. The guy commentating on those videos was class sheer class! Me and my mates at the time had such a good laugh at his comments.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.