BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lcd Or Plasma Tv ?

Sales assistant told me that Plasma is better for football because the ball does not carry a 'tail' when moving fast. Dunno if thats the case maybe somebody could confirm.

It used to be the case that LCD's had problems with motion blurring. They have improved greatly over the last year or two.

Again though, you get what you pay for. The cheap brand sets you get in Tesco / Asda and other places suffer badly from motion blur. Heck even my new 26" Philips Aquos suffers to an annoyance level (if you sit too close). I possibly only notice as I also have a 42" Plasma in the lounge and that is simply stunning.

With HD Feeds, they are both as good as each other.

A rule of thumb I have seen banded about a lot is that both are as good as each other up to about 40", after that, rear-projection LCD's or plasmas are best. Haven't seen anyhthing to prove this though.

The only other advantage plasma has now is that it can do true blacks whereas LCD can't quite match it. Sounds like nothing but try watching a dark film where the shadow areas look grey.

Screen burn does occur with plasma but usually only if you leave them in the "auto" modes which falsely brighten everything up. It's recommended to always go with a cinema type mode as it looks more natural as well.

I'm about to buy a Sony LCD X or XBR series 40"

Big fan of Sony, have had a Sony CD player (that is still going strong 20 years later), DVD player, surround sound and Wega 50" LCD TV. Never had a problem with any of them.

I've got both and the Plasma is far better in my opinion. I have a very large Samsung plasma screen that is quite superb. The LCD (Sony) is a bit too sharp and I don't like it as much as the Samsung which somehow looks more natural.

That's interesting as Samsung generally have quite poor reviews, whereas Sony tv's have been held in quite high regard for the past few years. Samsung's tend to be very pretty though that is for sure.

Utter rubbish - I have 3 Sammys - The 40" Full HD and 32" HD Ready LCD TVs have the best picture I've seen from their internal Freeview decoders and the picture from HDMI input from my V+ box is excellent as well - easily as good as my mates Sony Bravia X3500 and my 40" one cost £900 compared with the 2 1/2 grand he paid. The only one I wouldn't class as excellent is a non HD 23" LCD in the bedroom and I don't watch that very often at all.

The Sonys are good, but not good enough for the premium price you pay

I did a lot of reading about LCD's before going for the Sony. Samsung are very highly regarded for their Picture quality. A lot of people [not me included] like the shiny black finish of their sets as well. What is mentioned a lot on the AV forums site though, is that it appears as though Samsungs do have problems with reliability. It's difficult to judge the validity of that, but it was enough to push me towards the Sony set.

Archived