BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

For something a little different in Manchester, try the Armenian Tavern just off the Town Hall front.

Link here

Can be quite expensive, but the food has always been great when I have eaten there. Saturday night can see live music too, not as bad as it sounds!

Trying this on Friday OJ - looks great. Thanks for the tip.

El Rincon (Spanish) is very good tucked away behind Deansgate and Quay Street. Its address is Deansgate but it is approached from behind via Artillery Street. Authentic, good atmosphere and excellent food. Hmmm, can feel a booking coming on......

A man of taste!

El Rincon is excellent - it also sells cruz campo :blink:

If you want something truly romantic (joke), why not try 'This & That' - its behind the arndale centre - has to be see to be believed but the food is awesome!!

- Bella Italia, Deansgate and Picadilly gardens: Nice food and decent prices.

I heard awful things about the one in Picadilly Gardens, from the food and service to the grotty table covers. Annoying really because that's virtually the only Italian restaurant in Manchester that I know of...

My favourite restaurant in Manchester is Lal Haweli on the curry mile. I've been several times and the food is always great, by far the best I've tried in that area, and the service is always excellent. I suppose the decor could do with a face lift, but it's a minor complaint.

Turns out I got my restaurants mixed up here, I noticed my error on the bus today.

I meant the Bella Roma about two minutes away, the Bella Italia looks very nice (I'd never paid attention to the name until today). I keep meaning to drop by there in the summer when they open up the front.

I tried to book a table for Croma last week but they said they weren't taking bookings, they said to drop in and they 'hoped' everyone would get served, although a wait at the bar would be expected. Sounds like it could be a little chaotic for those wanting something slightly romantic...

Edited by LeChuck

So where did you end up Paal?

The truth is that for the size of the city, the food isn't great. CheshireBlue lists some of the better places. I would add Petit Blanc, in terms of its fixed price menu. Not spectacular, but good value. Lounge ten gets good reviews, but there are too many chains, serving only very average stuff at top prices.

A case in point is the lack of decent Italian restaurants: I haven't been impressed with San Carlo, Piccolino is better. In Whalley Range you can check out Palmiro. Great when they get it right, but my wife complains that the food's cold!

Also away from the city centre, there's the Lime Tree (Service a bit lax in my experience) Rhubarb, and Jem and I, all in Didsbury.

It most certainly is, i often enjoy a curry from there after leaving Jazzy Kexs at 4am. The naan breads aka as tennis rackets are amazing and the chicken tikka is yellow instead of bright red.

I have even had it sober and it was still good.

I have to say though Sukhis is my fav.

Khyber's King Prawn Jal Freizi extra hot! wonderful! (we have it exported to France)

the Red Chilli in China town Manchester is the best Chinese (not Cantonese)

We went to Chaophraya, absolutely amazing food. Well worth a visit if you like Thai food! :tu:

I'm pleased you liked it PKS. I thought my recommendation had been missed!

I went again tonight. It's always top notch. Service is great, as well as the food!

It's the wife's fave in Manchester and we eat out A LOT!

So where did you end up Paal?

The truth is that for the size of the city, the food isn't great. CheshireBlue lists some of the better places. I would add Petit Blanc, in terms of its fixed price menu. Not spectacular, but good value. Lounge ten gets good reviews, but there are too many chains, serving only very average stuff at top prices.

A case in point is the lack of decent Italian restaurants: I haven't been impressed with San Carlo, Piccolino is better. In Whalley Range you can check out Palmiro. Great when they get it right, but my wife complains that the food's cold!

Also away from the city centre, there's the Lime Tree (Service a bit lax in my experience) Rhubarb, and Jem and I, all in Didsbury.

Not been impressed with Le Petit Blanc, or whatever it styles itself as at the moment. Similarly, Lounge 10 is pretentious and poor value, IMO.

Been to Piccolino's once and it was alright.

Choice gets a bit of a slating, but has always seemed pretty good to me.

I think that there's lots of good places to eat in Manchester. Maybe I'm a glass half full kinda chap?

Apart from grabbing what passes for food at Piccadilly Station, Ringway or OT, the last time I ate in Manchester was at the most unspeakably disgusting chippy off Stevenson Square when I was a student.

I had previously been very impressed by the Chinese in Manc land even back in the early '70s and have obviously missed out on the culinary developments since.

I'm pleased you liked it PKS. I thought my recommendation had been missed!

I went again tonight. It's always top notch. Service is great, as well as the food!

It's the wife's fave in Manchester and we eat out A LOT!

Well I must admit I didn't see your recommendation before after Valentine's day, but I'll give you some credit anyway. ;)

One of my coursemates favourite restaurant so we're going there for his 21st in a couple of weeks I think, he's paying the wine bill. Get in :xmas:

• 4 weeks later...

In my opinion the new BRASSERIE CHEZ GERARD opposite the town hall in Albert square best meal i ve had in manchester

Cafe Rouge, Bella Italia, Picolino etc all pretty avergae chain food

Livebait is good but Brasserie Chez Gerard the best at not bad prices

Went to La Vina, Spanish restaurant/tapas bar on Deansgate yesterday - excellent - Cruzcampo there also.

Cruzcampo is the most God awful sewage-like pig swill I have ever had the miserable misfortune to drink...I had a pint in Lanzarote and only finished it out of sheer alcoholic defiance but it tasted like out of date seawater, please don't tell me it's disgusting flavour has reached our wonderful shores?!!!

Cruzcampo is the most God awful sewage-like pig swill I have ever had the miserable misfortune to drink...I had a pint in Lanzarote and only finished it out of sheer alcoholic defiance but it tasted like out of date seawater, please don't tell me it's disgusting flavour has reached our wonderful shores?!!!

:lol:

If ever I organise a sewage-like pig swill drinking contest, then you're the man!

Thanks I will be there, everyone is good at something! :lol:

Seriously, though unless I have got the wrong beer, it really was like drinking polluted seawater, and one pint made me really ill...I finished it off out of sheer stuid defiance but it was awful...

I take it you have had a better experience with this brand, which doesn't surprise me as the one I drank was so bad it had to be off, no one could put that stuff out and stay in business!

I take it you have had a better experience with this brand....

No, not really. Padihampedro recommended it in a previous post. They had it on draft and bottled in La Vina so I thought I'd try it. Had two bottles and I thought it was quite good. I prefer either Guinness or bitter these days but because we were where we were I thought I'd try something Spanish!

• 2 months later...