BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

I think that this is what used to be an Italian, Pinocchios? downstairs near the Stanley Arms. Was closed for a few years, but the reviews are excellent.

There's a Pinnocchios at Walton le Dale. Were there two of them?

Nila in Rawtenstall used to be great - not been for a while

New Thai place in Whitefield, Manchester called The Thai Lounge is excellent - can book online too

Albert's Shed in Castlefield expensive but nice food

Dining Room in Manchester also expensive plus a bit pretentious, but again nice food

What's Heathcote's in Longridge like?

Okay - Duk is a tapas restaruant with a difference. I really, really recommend it. It was one of the best restaurants i have been to for a while.

The menu is available Here - BE WARNED IT IS EXTENSIVE.

Read some of the reviews on sugarvine.

Also, looking forward to when the Clog and Billycock (Pleasington) opens as a 3 fishes type pub, which will also be part of the Nigel Howarth empire.

Edited by vintageadidas

I know the Walton Le Dale one, but don't think the two were connected. Not even sure the subterranean Preston one was called Pinocchio's either. I think it began with a P though. Between Jeans Junction and Yum Yums.

That is correct. It is next to Yum Yums - across from Manjanas bar. It is a real hidden find in my opinion, it is just a door which leads down to an old cellar. I would never have entered it walking past to be honest.

Reminds me of a place a once found in Portugal - just a door which lead into a a bar then into a restaurant. It was the best Piri-Piri i have ever eaten.

OK Blackburn area

Best pub food .... Millstones at Mellor. (dont choose the bland fish and chips though.)

Best Indian / Pakistani (eat in and take away)... Bukhara at Samlesbury.

(special mention for ravenous late night beer heads..... Khyber ;) )

Best Thai... Little Elephant at Darwen.

Best Chinky... Ocean Palace at Darwen.

When I say best I mean by quite some distance.

btw Clitheroe / Whalley has a fine selection too.

Edited by thenodrog

OK Blackburn area

Best pub food .... Millstones at Mellor. (dont choose the bland fish and chips though.)

Best Indian / Pakistani (eat in and take away)... Bukhara at Samlesbury.

(special mention for ravenous late night beer heads..... Khyber ;) )

Best Thai... Little Elephant at Darwen.

When I say best I mean by quite some distance.

btw Clitheroe / Whalley has a fine selection too.

Best pub food - Bulls Head (not been to the Millstone yet)

Best Indian / Pakistani (eat in and take away) - Saga Premier (Just off Walton Summit juntion of the m65). More local it has to be Sukhi's in my opinion. I also give a special mention for ravenous late night beer heads..... Khyber or Shandar ;)

Best Thai - I only know of one round these parts and it was good, so little elephant it is.

Best Italian - Algheros

Best Contemporary English - Thyme @ the Sirloin

Best Chinese - Holy Tree, Feniscowles (tiny (cosy) restaurant, top notch food, little on the expernsive side though)

Special Mention - DUK, Preston.

Best for a quick lunch - Cafe Beees, Blackburn town centre

Worst Restaurant - Cafe Stylo, Blackburn town centre

What's the Auberge like these days?

I went in Febraury of this year. The food was decent but the decor was pretty horrible in my opinion.

They sometimes have weird and wonderful food on, such as springbok and so on.

I had homemade soup followed by venison steak with wild peppercorn sauce, was good.

Edited by vintageadidas

I went in Febraury of this year. The food was decent but the decor was pretty horrible in my opinion.

They sometimes have weird and wonderful food on, such as springbok and so on.

I had homemade soup followed by venison steak with wild peppercorn sauce, was good.

Sounds like it has gone down a bit since my days

:rover:

Best Indian - ( no constancy here at all ), had excellent takeaways from sukis, and many in blackbburn, but then so dissapointed when eventually all the curries taste the same.

I have a theory here. Maybe there are travellling chefs that try to teach how to make the curries, after they leave, they go back to serving the same all slop.

Best Thai - NEVER BEEN TO ONE ROUND HERE

Best Italian - Algheros, last time I went, service was pathetic, food was poor. Not a patch were it was 2 or 3 years ago.

Best Contemporary English - Thyme @ the Sirloin, standards dropped.

Best Chinese - Holy Tree, Feniscowles, not the cleanest environment !!! ( your are warned )

Best for a quick lunch - Cafe Beees, Blackburn town centre, 1 fantastic Christmas meal and 1 very dissapoining lunchtime.

Best Indian - ( no constancy here at all ), had excellent takeaways from sukis, and many in blackbburn, but then so dissapointed when eventually all the curries taste the same.

I have a theory here. Maybe there are travellling chefs that try to teach how to make the curries, after they leave, they go back to serving the same all slop.

Best Italian - Algheros, last time I went, service was pathetic, food was poor. Not a patch were it was 2 or 3 years ago.

Best Contemporary English - Thyme @ the Sirloin, standards dropped.

Best Chinese - Holy Tree, Feniscowles, not the cleanest environment !!! ( your are warned )

Best for a quick lunch - Cafe Beees, Blackburn town centre, 1 fantastic Christmas meal and 1 very dissapoining lunchtime.

The Khyber is still the best!

take away that is

Best Italian - Algheros, last time I went, service was pathetic, food was poor. Not a patch were it was 2 or 3 years ago. I GO OVER 40 TIMES A YEAR AND I HAVE NEVER HAD A BAD MEAL OR BAD SERVICE. THE SERVICE IS TOO QUICK SOMETIMES, THAT IS MY ONLL GRIPE.

Best Contemporary English - Thyme @ the Sirloin, standards dropped. EAT HERE IN EXCESS OF 30 TIMES A YEAR. THE FOOD IS ALWAYS OF A HIGH QUALITY.

Best Chinese - Holy Tree, Feniscowles, not the cleanest environment !!! ( your are warned ) - CAN YOU EXPAND ON THIS? I EAT HERE ONCE A MONTH AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT BASIS YOU HAVE TO MAKE THAT STATEMENT.

Best for a quick lunch - Cafe Beees, Blackburn town centre, 1 fantastic Christmas meal and 1 very dissapoining lunchtime. THIS CAN BE A LITTLE ON AND OFF AND THEY USE TWO DIFFERENT CHEFS. ONCE HAD A SUPERB LASAGNE, THEN THE NEXT TIME IT WAS A LITTLE BLAND. STILL VERY GOOD VERY GOOD BLACKBURN.

The Khyber is still the best!

take away that is

Good but not best, see my post, although the Elephants ears (garlic nan) are the best in the world. Yoda I bet you can rem the khyber when they only had 3 curries. Potato, Keema and Cauliflower! I seem to think they were about 12.5p too.

I've been going to this restaurant for years with my parents and I have to say it make fantastic chinese food. Last time we went though we were very disappointed the tone of the restaurant - it has gone very tacky and loud! Food is still excellent though!

Good but not best, see my post, although the Elephants ears (garlic nan) are the best in the world. Yoda I bet you can rem the khyber when they only had 3 curries. Potato, Keema and Cauliflower! I seem to think they were about 12.5p too.

sure can Theno, and deans! chcken madras extra hot and 10 chapati's after being up the flying bottle for a few sherbets and watching the entertainment!

still go to Khyber when we are in town, and take home a supply of King Prwan Jo Frazier's extra hot for the freezer

:lol: