BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Takeover Thread

On cracking the Big Four...only two words are needed to suggest that one of the top clubs can implode - Leeds United.

I wouldn't give up because the current elite are so strong, probably stronger than ever before. Bad things happen.

On the new 'bidder' - it's something that only came to light today but I hear has been going on for a few weeks.

It involves a guy who is big in business and well-connected. He also knows some Rovers fans who had been looking to mount a bid a while back - I hinted at their interest last summer but did not name them as they had not formalised a group.

I will name the fella and more in the morning.

Since I wrote the piece I have found out tonight that his foreign money backers are quite big players. I don't know what they are willing to commit, but they could persuade the Trustees that they are for real and have plenty behind them.

This is quite intriguing as the consortium may tick a lot of the right boxes.

The bottom line - as with Dan Williams and his various teams - will be how much Jack Walker's Trustees want rather than some hokum about them having billions in the bank. I still believe that they WANT to sell as long as they are comfortable with the buyers.

I have NO idea what they have to offer in terms of funds for players before anyone asks. I hope to find out more about that as this issue develops.

And, by the way, I never fault people for trying...

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yet another 'Dan the man' dreamer on the horizon Nicko?.........

I am being to loathe the word 'consortium' <_<

Dan Williams was not a dreamer. His backers decided the club wasn't worth the price. Maybe they were right because no-one else has matched or bettered what they were prepared to pay.

This group are interesting because there are different strands to them and they have a working knowledge of the club.

The name of the top man will make one or two hoot, howl and possibly squirm.

As for the word 'consortium' I think you will have to accept there is no one man with the money needed to make a difference or buy it outright. You need a team. Preferably one pulling in the same direction.

Dan Williams was not a dreamer. His backers decided the club wasn't worth the price. Maybe they were right because no-one else has matched or bettered what they were prepared to pay.

This group are interesting because there are different strands to them and they have a working knowledge of the club.

As for the word 'consortium' I think you will have to accept there is no one man with the money needed to make a difference or buy it outright. You need a team. Preferably one pulling in the same direction.

I agree with SG194 to a point, the word 'consortium', nowadays anyway, strikes initial thoughts of owner problems (aka L'Pool), money struggles (but that's noting new now is it), and the longing and hope to keep the Rovers as pure and true to the game as we can. (Uncle Jack's Legacy)

But to be realistic, Nicko is right, the money needed in today's real world does require a team of people with right same mindset, goals and strong backing. If there's one club tht can bring that together, that is without a doubt Rovers. It is known far and wide how well run we are, with many teams trying to emulate ur current business model. If the Trustees can agree that this group will continue to run the club well and that they have their ducks in a row, I can't see how this can do anything but help bring Rovers up in the world and the league table.

edit: my grammar was horrible

hi all,

thanks for that Nicko am looking forward to seeing who the bidders are and what funds are available thanks for all the tips I think some people on here do not appreciate the amount of leads our leading reporter finds out at the end of the day it is down to rovers to agree the deals to complete the takeover as they say don't shoot the messenger at the end of the day Nicko just gets the leads and then passes them on will keep fingers and toes crossed everything goes well hopefully if the club is taken over we can then kick SWI backsides out of ewood once and for all and get a proper rovers shop with proper rovers merchandise

Laters all.

hi all,

thanks for that Nicko am looking forward to seeing who the bidders are and what funds are available thanks for all the tips I think some people on here do not appreciate the amount of leads our leading reporter finds out at the end of the day it is down to rovers to agree the deals to complete the takeover as they say don't shoot the messenger at the end of the day Nicko just gets the leads and then passes them on will keep fingers and toes crossed everything goes well hopefully if the club is taken over we can then kick SWI backsides out of ewood once and for all and get a proper rovers shop with proper rovers merchandise

Laters all.

I think that's the longest sentence I have EVER seen!

the first line nicko sounds very positive, because if they have a working knowledge of the club...this can only be good.

the second line leaves me in a state of panic....graeme souness wanted to buy a club a few years ago did he not, with his financial backers??

please let it not be.

the second line leaves me in a state of panic....graeme souness wanted to buy a club a few years ago did he not, with his financial backers??

please let it not be.

Oh god no, I tihnk the first thing Souness would want to do is go around and pee on all 4 corners. Mark his territory. I don't think we can afford his ego in an ownership role, he would definately, IMO, have his finger well into the football pie. Too many suggestions of shady dealings and connections that have recieved, again IMO, over the top prices for players.

Say it ain't so.

On cracking the Big Four...only two words are needed to suggest that one of the top clubs can implode - Leeds United.

I wouldn't give up because the current elite are so strong, probably stronger than ever before. Bad things happen.

On the new 'bidder' - it's something that only came to light today but I hear has been going on for a few weeks.

It involves a guy who is big in business and well-connected. He also knows some Rovers fans who had been looking to mount a bid a while back - I hinted at their interest last summer but did not name them as they had not formalised a group.

I will name the fella and more in the morning.

Since I wrote the piece I have found out tonight that his foreign money backers are quite big players. I don't know what they are willing to commit, but they could persuade the Trustees that they are for real and have plenty behind them.

This is quite intriguing as the consortium may tick a lot of the right boxes.

The bottom line - as with Dan Williams and his various teams - will be how much Jack Walker's Trustees want rather than some hokum about them having billions in the bank. I still believe that they WANT to sell as long as they are comfortable with the buyers.

I have NO idea what they have to offer in terms of funds for players before anyone asks. I hope to find out more about that as this issue develops.

And, by the way, I never fault people for trying...

Well thanks for adding those small details, seemingly points away from Graeme and therefore I will sleep tonight,

I am probably going to sound really silly hear but I am still going to ask :unsure:

I thought JJB is owned by Dave Whelan? Obviously we all know that he is the chairman of Wigan.

Given this then how can this Chis Ronnie look to be making a bid? If he isn't making the bid and its Whelan then is he going to split his money between us and Wigan?

If they are shutting all of these stores then is this funding the takeover? If it is can they really afford it?

Oh I am confused :wacko:

I am probably going to sound really silly hear but I am still going to ask :unsure:

I thought JJB is owned by Dave Whelan? Obviously we all know that he is the chairman of Wigan.

Given this then how can this Chis Ronnie look to be making a bid? If he isn't making the bid and its Whelan then is he going to split his money between us and Wigan?

If they are shutting all of these stores then is this funding the takeover? If it is can they really afford it?

Oh I am confused :wacko:

Chris Ronnie and his Icelandic partners bought out Whelan at JJB around a year ago.

JJB are not selling shops to finance this. From a vague knowledge of the sportswear business I hear they are re-inventing themselves shortly with a big-name brand coming in to use them as their 'preferred' store.

Dave Whelan ISN'T involved in this.

Chris Ronnie has worked for several sportswear firms in high-up positions and was involved at Rovers before through Lonsdale's sponsorship/work with the club.

I know that he has several good and wealthy contacts, so I believe he is the man heading it and bringing it together.

I would be almost certain that his Icelandic partners 'Exista' are the major money behind this.

From what I gathered this is very serious, but there are also hurdles to clear - agreeing a share price with the Trustees, proving they have the funds etc.

Fans will want to know what the manager has available to spend - and I hope I can find that out soon.

Anyway, there is a new bidder in town and that has been a hope for some time. Give them a chance and see what they come up with...

With a CV like that, young Simon Williams might find his performance coming under more top-down scrutiny than it has to date.

On the face of it, this could be characterised as Mike Ashley meets Egghead, but it sounds intruiging. Keep us posted Nicko

With a CV like that, young Simon Williams might find his performance coming under more top-down scrutiny than it has to date.

On the face of it, this could be characterised as Mike Ashley meets Egghead, but it sounds intruiging. Keep us posted Nicko

Do you suppose with his background he could whip together a half decent club shop?

The Icelandic connection is interesting to say the least. Exista is a well-diversified Icelandic holding/financial services group with a particular interest in non-life insurance. In the current turmoil afflicting Iceland, its share price has fluctuated wildly between IsKr 14 and IsKr 10 this year and is currently around IsKr 12. The Icelandic Kroner has devalued by about 25% against the Euro recently but as £ has devalued as well it makes British investment "relatively" less less attractive- buying in the UK has got more expensive for Icelanders using Krone but nowhere near as expensive as buying in the Euro zone.

Exista is the largest shareholder in Kaupthing Bank and Icelandic Telecom. Kaupthing is Iceland's largest bank and an indicator of its current situation is that it is paying a margin of 10% for inter-bank instruments (CDS) securing its international deposits whereas the norm should be 0.5% at the moment.

The Icelanders will probably emerge from the current crisis poorer and wiser but fundamentally OK. The timing for an Icelandic finance institution to get involved in an EPL club is bizarre to say the least when Icelandic interest rates stand at 15.5%.

Looking forwards, Icelanders have shown they know how to become major global players despite having a population of only 250,000- a lesson in punching many many times above their weight.

Hopefully with a JJB connection Dave Whelan can give us abit of advice and obviously warn us off if necessary.

Ideally the guys can come in and give us an extra £15m on top of that 10m we are already reported to have ready - giving us a nice kitty to play with, without selling on of our top assets.

I feel with £25m Hughes could do some real damage if he didnt have to sell any of his better players.

Archived