BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pennant

Ok now Robbies come to the club he really loves, Spurs have the dollar to sign Bentley and we can all expect this to happen soon!!

Pennants name keeps coming up so I wanna see how we all feel about this?

Personally I would not sign him even for 3M, we are aiming to be a top 6 team Pool at the mo and prob next year as well are the 4th best team in the league so two places above where we are aiming. Pennant has been there a while now and really is just a reserve even though RW is a position that pool have struggled with for ages, I mean Stevie G played there for a while before Kuyt took on the role last season.

Pennat is a RW player but surely if he was any cop at all he could dislodge Kuyt and Rafa would never consider playing his best player out of position. If we are aiming to be top 6 and he can't even get off the subs bench for pool then surely we should be looking elsewhere.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i mean being on the bench at liverpool at top 4 team who regular appear in champs league is such a bad thing :rolleyes:

i personally think he would be a great replacement for bentley-ok bentley is better, but pennant could do a good job..he would also offer us something on the wings that we dont have-and thats pace..

all pennant needs is a run of games for a club-if he got that at blackburn, im sure pretty sure he would be in the england squad..

i mean being on the bench at liverpool at top 4 team who regular appear in champs league is such a bad thing :rolleyes:

i personally think he would be a great replacement for bentley-ok bentley is better, but pennant could do a good job..he would also offer us something on the wings that we dont have-and thats pace..

all pennant needs is a run of games for a club-if he got that at blackburn, im sure pretty sure he would be in the england squad..

If he got off the bench once in a while maybe, but he doesn't.

I would pick Beckham, SWP and Bents possibly even Lennon and Milner before him even based on his previous form at the Brum.

I'd rather see Emo given a chance and a youger player signed with some potential.

Interesting.

At 3 million he is worth the "gamble". At least he is quick. I am sure a year at Liverpool has improved him as a player as well...Definitely worth the risk at that price...

Emo is as good as pennant we can't just sign gamble's JW said Ince was here to take us forward. Yes he has some pace, his drbblings OK but he's never really had a great final ball. We should be looking abroad, if the opinion within the game was that he could drive a club into the UEFA cup places then surely given the fact man city villa and pompey all are chasing one, they would be after him.

I hope Macks mate is mis-informed.

Emo is as good as pennant we can't just sign gamble's JW said Ince was here to take us forward. Yes he has some pace, his drbblings OK but he's never really had a great final ball. We should be looking abroad, if the opinion within the game was that he could drive a club into the UEFA cup places then surely given the fact man city villa and pompey all are chasing one, they would be after him.

I hope Macks mate is mis-informed.

Dont panic, hes an "option" apparently,the gaffer still really wants to keep bents!unlikely but

they are keeping tabs on players, the obvious ones i suppose are pennant, Larsson, Lennon(not anymore tho)!

But pennants name is the one ive heard being branded about! Hope they dont follow this one up tho!

Hes been over hyped since he was 15!

Dont panic, hes an "option" apparently,the gaffer still really wants to keep bents!unlikely but

they are keeping tabs on players, the obvious ones i suppose are pennant, Larsson, Lennon(not anymore tho)!

But pennants name is the one ive heard being branded about! Hope they dont follow this one up tho!

Hes been over hyped since he was 15!

I'll panic if he signs, I hope Ince spreads his search a little wider though. The trouble is we would be losing an Englishman how many home grown players do we have?? Not sure off the top of my head.

Perhaps Pineapple has a mate called pomegranate who can play right wing. Don't Chile have a quality young right winger??? united were linked to recently at Boca???

Ok now Robbies come to the club he really loves, Spurs have the dollar to sign Bentley and we can all expect this to happen soon!!

Pennants name keeps coming up so I wanna see how we all feel about this?

Personally I would not sign him even for 3M, we are aiming to be a top 6 team Pool at the mo and prob next year as well are the 4th best team in the league so two places above where we are aiming. Pennant has been there a while now and really is just a reserve even though RW is a position that pool have struggled with for ages, I mean Stevie G played there for a while before Kuyt took on the role last season.

Pennat is a RW player but surely if he was any cop at all he could dislodge Kuyt and Rafa would never consider playing his best player out of position. If we are aiming to be top 6 and he can't even get off the subs bench for pool then surely we should be looking elsewhere.

And that is saying nothing about his drink problem. Which is probably why he cant get a regular game anywhere he has been. What a terrible waste of a good talent!

Pennant is a strange one. Admittedly I don't watch Liverpool a lot, but on occasion he's looked absolutely brilliant. Pace, ball control, crossing, the whole package. Yet at other times (Most of the time really) he seems clueless. Which would suggest to me that he could turn into a good player. But on the other hand, he's had years at Arsenal and Liverpool to gain some kind of consistency, which it would seem that he hasn't. So for a very cheap prize, a loan if possible, then it'd be worth a shot. But £6m? No way.

I'd want us to go for Sebastian Larsson. Similar to Bentley in many ways, except he seems not to have the same kind of ego, and doesn't drift in centrally as much. He's also not as good as Bentley is. Yet.

Pennant for 4m seems like a good deal for me. I guess it is an argument about potential but I think with a run of games and stability at Rovers we could get a lot out of him. He was good at Brum, hence why Liverpool paid 7m for him despite a very dodgy disciplinary record, and - as with many there (Warnock for example) - just never really got a chance at Liverpool. Indeed at the back end of last season he seemed very good when they had injury problems.

I agree he is not perfect but there are not a lot of players out there we could afford who are. Jaoquin has been mentioned, but he is pushing 15m...

If we spent 4m on Pennant as the Bentley replacement and wacked the other 6m from Bentley pus any money we could raise from Roberts/Axe/Gally into a fund for a proper high quality target man striker to play alongside Cruz I would be happy.

Pennant for 4m seems like a good deal for me. I guess it is an argument about potential but I think with a run of games and stability at Rovers we could get a lot out of him. He was good at Brum, hence why Liverpool paid 7m for him despite a very dodgy disciplinary record, and - as with many there (Warnock for example) - just never really got a chance at Liverpool. Indeed at the back end of last season he seemed very good when they had injury problems.

I agree he is not perfect but there are not a lot of players out there we could afford who are. Jaoquin has been mentioned, but he is pushing 15m...

If we spent 4m on Pennant as the Bentley replacement and wacked the other 6m from Bentley pus any money we could raise from Roberts/Axe/Gally into a fund for a proper high quality target man striker to play alongside Cruz I would be happy.

Pennant has played 52 league games in the last 2 seasons. I wouldnt call that "never really got a chance", he's had enough of a chance.

We should have scouts right now scouring the footballing world, there are replacements for Bentley out there. We just need to be more inventive than to look for the nearest available Premiership player in his position, which is what we've done with Paul Robinson.

Personally, Seb Larsson would be the one for me - although knowing Brum's silliness on pricing players, it would cost at least £5-7m.. <_<

On the others;

- Lennon drifts in too much for my liking, but has great pace.

- Pennant carries too much baggage and is not consistent enough.

EDIT: Oops, I forgot some other worthy candidates that have been mentioned by others..

- SWP's wages would be too high, although if this wasn't an issue he would be my 1st choice - would love to see this guy in the Blue & White halves

- Milner wouldn't be a bad consideration, but the price would be too high (£8-10m) for Rovers

Archived