BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pendle Hill, Ribble Vally, Hyndburn And Blackburn With Darwen Area

I'd like to go to Pendle Hill walking.

I need your help and advice.....

Q1-1: I checked on the web. found the route map (Downham to Barley).

Is this the route that only one for walking Pendle Hill?

Q1-2 : I don't have any problem even if I go to alone??

Q1-3 : What kind of things should I be careful to?

talkinandpendlesample.jpg

Q2-1 : Does anyone has been to "Tolkien footsteps"? Is it good?

Q3-1: and I found the other walking rooutes.

Have you been to following route ?

Which is good route you recommend?

* Ambrose Farm - near Halsall

* Ashnott Farm, New Laithe Farm - near Clitheroe

* Backs Bottom Farm - near Lancaster

* Briercliffe Farm - near Nelson

* Brookhouse Farm - near Clitheroe

* Camp House Farm - near Lancaster

* Deep Clough - near Lancaster

* Delph Farm - near Blackburn

* Glebe Farm - near Halsall

* Goodshaw Farm - near Longridge

* Great Close Wood - near Lancaster

* Harterbeck - near Lancaster

* Hawkeshead Farm - near Halton

* Highfield Farm - near Chorley

* Hill House Farm Site A - near Ainsdale

* Hill House Farm Site B - near Ainsdale

* Land at The Hyning - near Warton

* Lane Side Farm - near Longridge

* Laund Farm - near Chipping (Preston)

* Leagrams Farms - near Chipping

* Little Town Farm - near Longridge

* Low House Farm - near Lancaster

* Lower Fair Snape - near Oakenclough

* Lower Gill - near Bolton-by-bowland

* Lower Greystoneley Farm - near Clitheroe

* Marshaw Farm - near Lancaster

* Mason House Farm - near Clitheroe

* Osbaldeston Hall Farm - near Blackburn

* Plantation Farm - near Clitheroe

* Ramwells Farm - near Blackburn

* Rowan Croft - near Out Rawcliffe

* Springfield Farm - near Garstang

* Summersgill Farm - near Lancaster

* The Rann - near Blackburn

* Thornbush - near Lancaster

* West Crantum Farm - near Southport

* Windy Pike Farm - near Clitheroe

* Winter Butt Lee Farm - near Shawforth

* Wiswell Eaves Farm - near Whalley

* Wood End Farm - near Clitheroe

http://countrywalks.defra.gov.uk/Default.a...unty=LANCASHIRE

map >>http://countrywalks.defra.gov.uk/DisplayImage.aspx?IFN=LANCASHIRE.GIF&Type=County

many thanks : )

Being a resident of the nearby town of Clitheroe my whole life I know the area very well. There are several paths over Pendle which start from various places around the hill, the best and longest walks i've been on start at the Nick of Pendle (near the Wellsprings Inn) which is the best place to begin your walk if you're planning on taking a car.

In answer to your question about it being safe to go alone i can assure you that it is, as the Ribble Valley is the safest district in Lancashire, you just have to watch out for the sheep up there. :P

Never been on the Tolkien footsteps route (in fact never even heard of it, although knowing Tolkien was educated at Stoneyhurst College) but am interested to check that out myself being a fan of both 'Lord of The Rings' and 'The Hobbit'

Hope this information has helped you and that you have a pleasant stay in the beautiful Ribble Valley.

Pendle Hill covers a large area , Dillo , and has lots of walks . Downham is the most lovely village in the whole area I think but it is all very nice for travellers . It is no problem if you are on your own .

Hurst Green is also very good for walking .

All you need to hope for is good weather ! I suggest bringing a raincoat .

Thank you your great advice brfc ben and blue phill !! : )

Thanks a lot!!

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Does anybody give me few more advices/info?

1) about start at the Nick of Pendle... ;

I'm looking for the route on the web an approach from south-side of the Pendle Hill !!!

I checked the place on the Goggle map(Wellsprings Inn Pendle Hill - Clitheroe Rd , Sabden , Clitheroe , BB7 9HN)

http://maps.google.co.jp/maps?f=q&hl=j...&iwloc=addr

I don't plan to lent a car. Is there a public transportation ... like a bus from Clitheroe to Sabden? ( from Clitheroe to Dawnham?)

It should be lent-a-bicycle is good for me. However, there will not be the rental bicycle, I guess. I may walk .....

2)the rout MAP ;

Is the route map Walking Pendle Hill available in Clitheroe information center?

3) easy to walking? safe? ;

Is it safe place for me if there is not bad weather?

It looks like good walking route for families (it means not for fully-fledged mountain climbing). I don't want to bring my mountain climbing/camping equipments to the U.K.

4) the accommodations ;

Is there(Clitheroe and Pebdle Hill area) the accommodations which you recommend?

5) Cafe/Retaurants (opening at an early) ;

Is there the cafe( or Diner... I know British don't use this word...) opening at an early morning? I'll start to go there around 6 a.m. (Hill-side could be beautiful at dawn. I'm early to bed and early to rise type! every visit I hard to find a cafe opening early...)

6) Recommend place (old villages) ;

Is there the beautiful OLD village which you recommend in a neighborhood of Pendle Hill?

(not ghost town... means still living, not ruined)

7) Recommend walking route ;

Could you recommend your favorite walking route around Pendle and Ribble Vally, Hydburn and Blackburn and Darwen area.

I appriciate your help and advice! : )

Hi dillo!

First of all I wouldnt recommend trying to get up to pendle by bike from Clitheroe- its quite a distance and there are lots of hills. Its possible but only if you are a serious cyclist.

You could base yourself in Clitheroe still as there are pretty regular buses up to Sabden, Downham and Barley. Barley is a particularly nice village to start a Pendle walk.

The bus leaves from Clitheroe interchange right next to the train station with a line to Blackburn and Manchester. There is a nice cafe next to it called Maxwells, opens early and is great to sit and watch the world ( or as you are in Clitheroe, tractors and Vauxhall Novas), go by.

Just up the road is the Old Post House Hotel- good place for a couple of nights.

Hope that helps a bit.

I hope to go to Tokyo again some time this year - maybe I'll get in contact with you and you can recommend some good days out!

Clitheroe Interchange

Pendle Witch Hopper Bus - Clitheroe to Downham to Barley

Old Post House

Barley to Pendle walk

Thanks for your great advice and useful links! ultrablue ! : )

OK. I stop to think about bike. there is Hill country not like Tokyo.

Did you stay at the the Old Post House Hotel ?It looks so good .

and How long does it take Clitheroe to Blackburn by bus? Clitheroe to Manchester?

Maxwells cafe... ha ha ha good name for the cafe "Good to the Last Drop"? : )

Sure, contact me when you're coming Tokyo. I help you if you asking I know well things!!

Dillo

Get hold of an Ordnance Survey (OS) map 1:50000 (No 103 is Blackburn & Ribble Valley area). Even better is the 1:25000 (larger scale).

All footpaths are marked on these - believe me there are thousands.

Darwen has more footpaths per square mile than any other place in England.

Get hold of an Ordnance Survey (OS) map 1:50000 (No 103 is Blackburn & Ribble Valley area). Even better is the 1:25000 (larger scale).

OS Explorer Map – I did not know it at all.

Thank you for splendid information.

I think that I should purchase these two maps.

It's difficult to deciding... Sample pict is small for me! Is there included the area that I need ?

http://leisure.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/leisur...b&item=3628

http://leisure.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/leisur...os_active_OL41#

Do I right choice?

Darwen has more footpaths per square mile than any other place in England.

REALLY? It is very attractive for me.

Could you recommend good route?

OS Explorer Map – I did not know it at all.

Thank you for splendid information.

I think that I should purchase these two maps.

It's difficult to deciding... Sample pict is small for me! Is there included the area that I need ?

http://leisure.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/leisur...b&item=3628

http://leisure.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/leisur...os_active_OL41#

Do I right choice?

OS Exlorer map 287 is Blackburn, Darwen & Accrington.

OS Landranger map 103 covers Ribble Valley

Alternative transport to bike/car etc would be to phone a taxi from Clitheroe to Wellsprings Inn, don't think it would cost you more that five pounds to be honest.

http://www.visitlancashire.com/xsdbimgs/Pe...20fest%2008.pdf

Just missed out on this...Maybe it will happen again next year

That's great info!! :) Thanks!

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

[ View point ]

I'm checking view points on this map.

(map symbol said It's a view point)

viewpoint.jpg

I think these are good place to view. I'd like to visit that points ..... though , I don'rt know a correct place.

(The mark is written in the approximate places.)

I understood, No.1 is a Darwen tower.

Let me know the place of No.2-7 points If you know.

and

Could you recommend the places if you know good view points other than the point of this map?

Jack Keighley has written a great illustrated guidebook "Walks in Lancashire Witch Country" and another one around the Forest of Bowland which I'm sure you'd find ideal for planning good routes.

The best way up Pendle is pretty direct from Clitheroe, going up from Worston via the steep Mearley Clough (far more interesting than the ways up from Barley or the Nick of Pendle). It is no longer marked on the OS maps (see link http://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap/frames.htm) but is covered in the book above and reaches the Pendle plateau at the very visible cairn (tower of stones).

4 I think will be near York village on the old road between Blackburn and Whalley and 5 is I think near the Wellsprings pub, good views over the Ribble Valley and on a good day over to the coast to Blackpool (and the Tower there if it's clear). One that isn't marked is in the orange circle - on Kemple End/Longridge Fell, there are good views over towards Whalley and Accrington, towards the top of Birdy Brow I would think on this map

Thanks ALL!

3. The Coppice - Hill overlooking Accrington?

6/7. Pendle Hill? Beware the witches!

Don't know 2 even though I grew up around there!

Thanks. I checked Google map...

where.jpg

Jack Keighley has written a great illustrated guidebook "Walks in Lancashire Witch Country" and another one around the Forest of Bowland which I'm sure you'd find ideal for planning good routes.

The best way up Pendle is pretty direct from Clitheroe, going up from Worston via the steep Mearley Clough (far more interesting than the ways up from Barley or the Nick of Pendle). It is no longer marked on the OS maps (see link http://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap/frames.htm) but is covered in the book above and reaches the Pendle plateau at the very visible cairn (tower of stones).

Thanks!

4 I think will be near York village on the old road between Blackburn and Whalley and 5 is I think near the Wellsprings pub, good views over the Ribble Valley and on a good day over to the coast to Blackpool (and the Tower there if it's clear). One that isn't marked is in the orange circle - on Kemple End/Longridge Fell, there are good views over towards Whalley and Accrington, towards the top of Birdy Brow I would think on this map

Thanks for your info!! but.... Link is "404 not found" !!

If it's a spectacular view of Lancashire you want then I would suggest dragging yourself to the top of Parlick, in Bowland. It's not far from Chipping.

Thanks, I'll check it later!

Well the white wizard Gandalf ''Sir Ian McKellen'' is a dingle himself so that's a fair point and I guess you could say Turf Moor is Mount Doom. :D

Dillo Dillo, if you come across any hobbits or Orcs on your travels, you've ended up in Burnley. Turn around.

all right : )

• 2 weeks later...

Archived