Photo
- - - - -

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

• This topic is locked This topic is locked (or you're not logged in)
641 replies to this topic

#21 RibbleValleyRover

RibbleValleyRover

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8540 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 13:02 PM

Messi scored another hat-trick at the weekend this time against Zaragoza. 34 goals this season from the best player on the planet.

Check out his second goal:

Wow!

Edited by RibbleValleyRover, 22 March 2010 - 13:04 PM.

#22 Tim Southampton Rover

Tim Southampton Rover

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4989 posts
  • Twitter: @timmoyoung

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:51 AM

He's unbelievable at the moment and he's still only 22 years old. It makes me sick someone so young having so much talent :lol:
Tugay's Blue and White Army

#23 neekoy

neekoy

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3265 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:22 AM

He is definately a once a generation player, you could confidently put him in any team in history and feel he would be class

#24 Eddie

Eddie

World Cup

• Backroom Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14784 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:07 AM

Not sure he's quite once a generation; hard to separate Messi, Rooney and Ronaldo.
"And while I'm here I must say that that Souness chap is a jolly fine fellow."<br />
Jim 7/05/2004 23:29

#25 Iceman

Iceman

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5764 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:35 AM

Not sure he's quite once a generation; hard to separate Messi, Rooney and Ronaldo.

They all have strengths and weaknesses, but Messi is by far the most consistent of the 3. In a tight game, Messi would be the one to seperate the teams. Messi FTW

Once again I'll say if Kean is a puppet his successor will be too, so why would you want another puppet?

#26 neekoy

neekoy

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3265 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:35 AM

Rooney is not as creative and Ronaldo lacks the "strength" to compete against tough defenders.

Rooney may have great strength and impeccable timing and C Ronaldo has tremendous foot speed and goal scoring abailty but Messi is the only complete footballer out of those three.

#27 philipl

philipl

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27435 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:47 AM

I am expecting Messi to be the standout player in South Africa this summer. The only thing that could stop him is Maradonna's management screwing up Argentina qualifying from their group.

#28 Claytons Left Boot

Claytons Left Boot

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3032 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 21:18 PM

Just back from Grasshoppers 2 Neuchatel Xamax 1

I think there were 16 away fans - even Wimbledon in their Premier League pomp would have brought more!

It's been a balmy 22 degrees here in Zurich today, a bit cooler tonight, but a great night to watch football. Pizza and a couple of beers beforehand and another couple on the ground. A whopping crowd of 3,600 (there are reasons for that but I won't bore you with them) but the atmosphere and singing were superb, some of the chants in English.

Grasshoppers consolidating their third position in the top flight here. No chance of getting any higher than that as Young Boys (Bern) and Basel have got positions 1 and 2 sewn up.

We return home to Blighty for good tomorrow first thing (unfortunately). If Easyjet fly to Zurich wef June, as rumoured, I will be tempted to come over for the Zurich derby, Grasshoppers having won the last one.

Zurich, over and out. :brfc:
Barton, Newton, Wilson, Sharples, Clayton, Joyce, Hole, Ferguson, Lord, Douglas & Connelly.
2-0 Versus Carlisle, 27 Dec 1966 Att 20,219
Hooked ever since!

Football is a game of two halves - Blue & White!

#29 Exiled_Rover

Exiled_Rover

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5114 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 13:43 PM

Rooney is not as creative and Ronaldo lacks the "strength" to compete against tough defenders.

Rooney may have great strength and impeccable timing and C Ronaldo has tremendous foot speed and goal scoring abailty but Messi is the only complete footballer out of those three.

Messi's four foot nothing. He's not strong at all, he's just quick and nimble on his feet. Rooney is very quick too, he's not just strong with 'impeccable timing' whatever that means.

#30 RibbleValleyRover

RibbleValleyRover

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8540 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 14:11 PM

Messi's four foot nothing. He's not strong at all, he's just quick and nimble on his feet. Rooney is very quick too, he's not just strong with 'impeccable timing' whatever that means.

Its the low centre of gravity that allows Messi to hold off and at times outmuscle bigger players than him.

#31 Tim Southampton Rover

Tim Southampton Rover

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4989 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 18:48 PM

Great start for Man Utd against Bayern in the Champs League. Rooney after a minute!

#32 philipl

philipl

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27435 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 20:39 PM

Perfect result in Munich- the Mancs are going to be facing a stronger Bayern side than the one that has just beaten them 3 days ahead of their visit to Ewood.

#33 Rovermatt

Rovermatt

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9050 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 20:42 PM

Did you not see him shrugging off the larger player in that clip? Rooney is a force of nature, Ronaldo is almost untouchable. Messi however is simply a genius.
“Bible camp's cancelled.

#34 Tim Southampton Rover

Tim Southampton Rover

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4989 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 20:43 PM

Could be without Rooney with an ankle injury too.

#35 RibbleValleyRover

RibbleValleyRover

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8540 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 20:48 PM

Could be without Rooney with an ankle injury too.

I was saying to my United supporting father the other day that Rooney was due an injury right before another major tournament. Ankle injury by the looks of it, can't see him playing against Chelsea at the weekend even if he's just twisted it.

Edited by RibbleValleyRover, 30 March 2010 - 21:01 PM.

#36 neekoy

neekoy

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3265 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 23:37 PM

Messi is very strong, you obviously don't watch him regulary at all. Once Rooney starts doing some of the things Messi does, game after game, year after year I will hold him in the same light

Rooney scores goals by being in the right place at the right time, watch his goals, he comes from no where right at the right moment, he has impeccable timing in the game. Pretty simple really.

#37 Eddie

Eddie

World Cup

• Backroom Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14784 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 00:07 AM

I think you are being overly harsh on Rooney there and making him out to sound like some goal-poacher. He can score goals from pretty much anywhere, it's just down to the role that he is asked to play. At the moment he plays up front by himself with attacking wingers, which means he has to take up a very forward position. In previous seasons he has been able to drop back into midfield and pick up the ball and has scored some wonderful goals as a result of it.

They are both fantastic players and offer something different, but you can't definitively say who is better between Ronaldo, Rooney and Messi in my opinion. Each is a little bit more suited to different leagues, styles of team play and the role that they are then given within that team. I'd love to see Rooney play in Spain against defenses that back off a bit more and don't go into the tackle as hard, he'd thrive as all attack-minded players do. Say what you want (and we've had this debate before), but Messi wouldn't be QUITE so effective in England. He'd handle the physical game well and would be in the elite group of players in the league, but if you want to show off an attacking game it is always best to be on the continent.
"And while I'm here I must say that that Souness chap is a jolly fine fellow."<br />
Jim 7/05/2004 23:29

#38 neekoy

neekoy

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3265 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 00:46 AM

I think you are being overly harsh on Rooney there and making him out to sound like some goal-poacher. He can score goals from pretty much anywhere, it's just down to the role that he is asked to play. At the moment he plays up front by himself with attacking wingers, which means he has to take up a very forward position. In previous seasons he has been able to drop back into midfield and pick up the ball and has scored some wonderful goals as a result of it.

They are both fantastic players and offer something different, but you can't definitively say who is better between Ronaldo, Rooney and Messi in my opinion. Each is a little bit more suited to different leagues, styles of team play and the role that they are then given within that team. I'd love to see Rooney play in Spain against defenses that back off a bit more and don't go into the tackle as hard, he'd thrive as all attack-minded players do. Say what you want (and we've had this debate before), but Messi wouldn't be QUITE so effective in England. He'd handle the physical game well and would be in the elite group of players in the league, but if you want to show off an attacking game it is always best to be on the continent.

BBBUUUUTTTTT......

It can't be argued he has had his best season this season playing in exactly that role, until this season theere was no debate over who was better so I don't think I am being harsh.

Yes we have had the arguement before, like Tevez, if he can handle the physical nature of the PL he will handle the defences.

#39 cn174

cn174

Web Wizard

• Backroom Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6610 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 17:52 PM

The race for the title in France seems pretty crazy. 6 teams within 3 points of the lead.

http://uk.soccerway....regular-season/
[url="[url="http://www.brfcs.com/mb/admin/"]http://www.brfcs.com/mb/admin/[/url]%3Ca]http://www.brfcs.com/mb/admin/[url="[url="http://www.brfcs.com/mb/admin/"]http://www.brfcs.com/mb/admin/[/url]%3Ca]http://www.brfcs.com/mb/admin/
[url="[url="http://www.brfcs.com/mb/admin/"]http://www.brfcs.com/mb/admin/[/url]%3Ca]http://www.clarenolan.co.uk'>Clare's Portfolio

#40 FourLaneBlue

FourLaneBlue

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7578 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 21:38 PM

Steve McClaren's Twente Enschede are 4 points clear at the top of the Dutch league with 4 games left. They do, however, have Ajax breathing down their necks and face tough games against the likes of reigning champions AZ Alkmaar and Feyernoord.

Could well be a very interesting end to the season.

Last English manager to win a Dutch title? Sir Bobby Robson. Another manager derided by the press when managing England and failed to get us qualified for a European Championships.

Edited by FourLaneBlue, 04 April 2010 - 21:39 PM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

Important Legal Information

All content is copyright of its respective posters and may not be representative of the views of BRFCS Ltd, its staff, volunteers, members, sponsors or advertisers. Content on the public forums of this site is not pre-moderated. If you feel that any content is defamatory or constitutes harassment, or that it contravenes the site posting guidelines, or that it may result in the site or its owners, volunteers, users or members facing legal action, you should alert BRFCS immediately either by using the REPORT function available on every post or by sending an email to admin@brfcs.com with details of the content in question.

Note that this site uses cookies. As the site does not function without cookies, any use of the site implies consent for us to use them. Under new European law, BRFCS is required to disclose how these cookies are used. Please see our privacy policy for more information.

BRFCS Ltd. Registered in England and Wales under company registration number 07315781.