BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hodilays!

Just back yesterday from a week's walking on the South west coast path, from the Lizard to Fowey this year. Only about 250 miles to go now. Then to the Pyrenees in July to watch the Tour de France amongst other lazier things, then Chile in October for a holiday that had to be postponed in March because of the earthquake. And hopefully some time on my canal boat as well.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

I'm on a stag do in Palma nova end of June then Florida in September with the wife.

Been a good year with new York in march but these could be the last for a while as with a bit of luck we'll be able to sell our house and move.

• 1 month later...

We have just returned from 3 weeks in Cape Town and the surrounding area.

Clearly this was first and foremost a football-centric holiday ... but we will be going back sooner rather than later, because there is so much on offer.

From a stunning landscape, to exquisite food, friendly and welcoming locals ... to the humbling experience of visiting museums and monuments which chronicle the troubled (and recent) past.

Even the 12 hour flight doesn't present a problem as there is zero jet lag (1 hr time difference at this time of year) ... and although this is the height of winter, the sun was baking hot when it was out.

We have a list of things to do there, after 3 weeks, that is longer than the list of things we wanted to do before we left in early June! And a list of places to go back to because we enjoyed them so much ...

... really worth considering for a fantastic and interesting long-haul break.

Had a couple of weeks in Lanzarote in May. Going back for another couple of weeks on 2nd September.

Good old Playa Blanca. We love it there.

Went to Woolacombe, North Devon in my caravan in early June, fantastic place with a great beach, loved it - mind you the good weather helped.

Off to Holywell Bay nr Newquay in the 'van in late August - love it there as well. Just hope we get good weather again.

I've been all over Europe for holidays over the years but I honestly don't think you can beat holidaying in this country when you get the weather.

Went to Woolacombe, North Devon in my caravan in early June, fantastic place with a great beach, loved it - mind you the good weather helped.

Off to Holywell Bay nr Newquay in the 'van in late August - love it there as well. Just hope we get good weather again.

I've been all over Europe for holidays over the years but I honestly don't think you can beat holidaying in this country when you get the weather.

'When you get the weather' being the operative words. I'll plump for abroad every time.

I'm going to London for a few days in a few weeks to visit my friend, then going up to Cardiff to stay with my grandparents for a few nights. I'm going to France for a 10 days in August which should be nice. I'm hoping to maybe get over to the U.S at the end of the summer as well if it's not too expensive. I would like to get out to the west coast again and go to somewhere like Portland or San Diego and work my way back to the east coast stopping in places like Denver or Chicago and ending up in New York via D.C / Virgina. If that doesn't work out, I may look to go somewhere in Europe that I haven't been like Munich, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen or Rome.

going Graz on friday for 3 nights to watch the rovers,

then i fly to kuala lumpur next thursday will spend 3 nights there before heading to melbourne for 3 nights then i will be flying to sydney to watch the rovers in pre-season do abit of site seeing then fly up to cairns after a week and work my way down the east coast to gold coast over 2 weeks where i will fly back to KL where iv got 2 and half weeks to visit a couple of thailand islands and singapore!

Cant wait!!

Hopefully going to Rothenburg ob der Tauber later this year. Wonderful little walled town which is just one big Christmas village. Then on to Munich for more Christmas markets then finally Salzbury for your guessed, it more Christmas markets.

Was hoping to go there a couple of weeks ago as its on the romantic Highway from Augsburg to Fussen but my trip was a washout . Got Totally soaked.Instead went to Mittenwald ,Fussen, Garmisch and Oberammwergau(managed to get a cheapo ticket to see the Passionplay) and watched the world cup in Munich

Had a wonderful time in Los Angeles and New York in May which was part holiday part business but mostly getting together with wonderful friends and quality time with my step son.

Now very much UK based because of another family illness so going back to Malta is off the plan for the foreseeable future.

Try 'on the beach Limited' google it and the website will come up, used them twice and quite good.

Cheers, i'll have a look at that website and thanks for the PM too!

Now very much UK based because of another family illness so going back to Malta is off the plan for the foreseeable future.

Sorry to hear about the family illness. Hope everything is okay.

I was just wondering Philip, what would you recommend people visit in Malta? I've never been there and don't really know much about the place but i've always heard how nice and relaxing it is.

Was hoping to go there a couple of weeks ago as its on the romantic Highway from Augsburg to Fussen but my trip was a washout . Got Totally soaked.Instead went to Mittenwald ,Fussen, Garmisch and Oberammwergau(managed to get a cheapo ticket to see the Passionplay) and watched the world cup in Munich

German weather seems to have been like that this year - either so hot it's unbelievable or pouring down for days on end. My daughter lives in Munich, hence why we're going there this summer. Off to Paris on a school trip week on Monday then back here for 2 days before heading off to West Brittany etc. Need a holiday this year more than ever before. Just hope the current warm, dry weather holds for another month or so in Brittany as the last few years have been pretty much a washout weather wise and the tourist trade there has really suffered. Since they really depend on it it would be good for Brittany to get back some of the visitors they've lost in the last 5 years - the people are not like your typical image of the French. If you've not been give it a go, particularly if you've got kids. Campsites and beaches are great.

Who`s booked a hodilay this summer B) & where are you off to? :huh:

We (4 of us) are off to Rhodes for 2weeks at end of June. A place called Iallysoss. Never heard of it before booking, but reviews are ok & it looked nice on internet searches.

Rhodes is a lovely place. Perfect weather, good nights out. Perhaps best to stay away from Faliraki unless you like that sort of fish-bowl drinking kind of thing.

I'm off for a week or so to the city of Arequipa and then Lake Titicaca in the south of Peru. Then maybe pop into the jungle as well.

Went to the Scottish Highlands in March, was great as it was sunny all week. Plenty of snow on the summits though so couldn't do as much mountain walking as we wanted.

Not got much else planned this year; just had to shell out nearly £2k in vet's bills (should hopefully get it back on insurance) and as me and the Missus are both 40 next year we're thinking another 3 week road trip which will doubtless be expensive. Love the US and never done all of Route 66 so fancy that. Few nights in Chicago, two weeks on the Mother Road then a few nights in LA perhaps. Mustang convertible or Dodge Challenger a must .... B)

Having said that I fancy Yellowstone NP too, maybe Alaska, or Canada, or Australia/NZ, or Japan/Far East, even China? Need to get planning! :o

Sorry to hear about the family illness. Hope everything is okay.

I was just wondering Philip, what would you recommend people visit in Malta? I've never been there and don't really know much about the place but i've always heard how nice and relaxing it is.

Thanks Tim.

Malta is a place which some people love and some hate- there is no middle way with it. The people can be the friendliest, kindest you could ever wish to meet or the rudest and surliest with the worst most inept service on the planet! It is visually stunning but most of the construction of the last 30 years is an utter disgrace. It has the safest roads in Europe but some of the worst drivers.... and so you go on.

It depends what you are going for but whatever it is, there is a lot of it for such a tiny place. The history is overwhelming, the few sandy beaches exceptional and I am told the nightlife is getting up to world class at a fraction of the price of Ibiza. The place is also nuts- http://www.onlyinmalta.com/oim/imagepages/imageoim1.html

But I love it.

Archived