BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Group F Discussion - Italy, New Zealand, Paraguay, Slovakia

Guest Kamy100

I think that was back when Souness started to lose the plot, I can't remember who we signed instead.

I seem to remember it was the Souness days too, but the article says November 2004? Hughes was appointed in September 2004, unless it's the wrong date.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seem to remember it was the Souness days too, but the article says November 2004? Hughes was appointed in September 2004, unless it's the wrong date.

Hmm...that is a bit confusing.

Further down the article there is this bit: "Rovers are hoping to complete the paperwork that secures the signing of Vitteks international team-mate Vratislav Gresko by tomorrow. The club yesterday received confirmation of a work permit for the defender."

Gresko was definitely signed by Souness, so I guess the article date is wrong?

Foxxx, how popular was football in New Zealand before the World Cup and how does it compare now?

Football in NZ is riding a wave atm, it started with the Phoenix here in Wellington over the last few yrs, and has carried on into the national team. The 2 previous Auckland based teams in the aussie leagues would barely get any press, other than saying they had another poor performance and lost again.

The profile of football has grown alot, due to the success on & off the field by the Phoenix, and created a real feel good factor what has coincided with the success of the national team. The amount of coverage the All White's have got during their run too the World Cup Finals, would match the All Black's, and be more than they have received in the last decade combined.

Now comes the hard part, trying to build on this success. The current squad we have is more down to luck than planning. Four in the squad came thru other countries youth teams, Reid (Denmark), McGlinchey (Scotland), Smith & Fallon (England). If FIFA didnt change the eligiblity rules, we wouldnt have done aswell as we have.

Hopefully the legacy of the 2010 World Cup for us will be a new generation of youngsters wanting to become Football players. The world cup finals run in 1982 was wasted, I would hate to see this one go the same way.

The more I think about it, the greater the achievement of NZ going unbeaten looks.

There is quite a reasonable probability too that they could be the only country to emerge from this World Cup undefeated if Spain (or Germany) get their games going properly.

My only prediction so far at this world cup to come true, Italy bundled out in the group stages, other then Australia getting through this was the one I wanted more then anything

Italy going out was sweet karma for that dive in the last World Cup and the trophy they undeservedly went on to win.

At 36 what else have you got?

He is a professional though, can;t believe they were crying, seriously, you play ###### you get knocked out, it can't have been that unexpected.

Diving, cheating @#/?s that deserved everything they got.

Those Slovakian theatrics (especially the goalkeeper's) was grating, but then I realized they're playing Italy and what goes around comes around.

Instantly forgiveable given the circumstances and the opposition. ^_^

I'd like to think that the entire Italian nation is regretting inventing diving, spitting and play acting now..... but somehow I know they won't be. It's just in them and everybody knows that they wouldn't have won any without exploiting that part of their game to the full.

• 3 weeks later...

NZ will get their backsides handed to them. They would struggle in League 1 in England and they have three strong very technical (in differing ways) opponents who will be fancying qualification from this Group as a minimum.

With Spain winning, it leaves NZ the only team not to lose in these World Cup Finals. See you at Brazil 2014 B)

Archived