BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Match Officials

thenodrog

Thank you Eddie. It was so obvious to me - yes the linesman/ref were at fault but I can't understand why everyone was so dismissing of the Goalkeeper's actions.

Anyway, time to move on and all that stuff. Have to draw a line under it I guess ...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You may not have, but in general he was.

Apart from every paddy in existence the only ones to villify him are from amongst the outraged wussies in the press, people who have never played football, women and possibly clergy. How general is that?

Derbyshire knocked one in with his hand up at St James's park a few years ago and the majority on here thought it was great opportunism!

There was outcry around the footballing world, you were obviously not paying attention for a good two-three weeks.

Terrible officiating yet again last night, it is becoming harder to pick out games in this tournament in which the officials haven't made a major mistake.

If you look at previous competitions, the overall standard in this tournament is much higher. I'm thinking of that Syrian clown in USA '94 (Mexico - Bulgaria) who reduced both sets of players to gentle passing moves between them to avoid any more than the 12 yellows and 2 reds. At one point he sent off a player for, as the Times put it, "intercepting a pass". Or even Mexican ref Byron Moreno in 2002. Jeeez.

This time we've had controversy but it's nothing like that. The reason there's such a focus is that there's just so much riding on these competitions these days, and because TV evidence has been deployed so successfully in other sports.

If you look at previous competitions, the overall standard in this tournament is much higher. I'm thinking of that Syrian clown in USA '94 (Mexico - Bulgaria) who reduced both sets of players to gentle passing moves between them to avoid any more than the 12 yellows and 2 reds. At one point he sent off a player for, as the Times put it, "intercepting a pass". Or even Mexican ref Byron Moreno in 2002. Jeeez.

This time we've had controversy but it's nothing like that. The reason there's such a focus is that there's just so much riding on these competitions these days, and because TV evidence has been deployed so successfully in other sports.

I have seen a number of times in this world cup where players have tried to stand up when fould and they have missed a scoring opportunity, are they standing up for fear of getting booked for diving?

The obvious one here would be appeals for yellow cards, even in proven innocence, players are recieving two yellows and it is proven to be undeserved, yet still they are banned, it is wrong and should be addressed.

As should the worst law in the game, a striker (or any player) is brought down deliberately and has to have treatment,instead of being on the end of the free kick, he is stood on the half way line!! what nonesense is that!

I have seen a number of times in this world cup where players have tried to stand up when fould and they have missed a scoring opportunity, are they standing up for fear of getting booked for diving?

The obvious one here would be appeals for yellow cards, even in proven innocence, players are recieving two yellows and it is proven to be undeserved, yet still they are banned, it is wrong and should be addressed.

As should the worst law in the game, a striker (or any player) is brought down deliberately and has to have treatment,instead of being on the end of the free kick, he is stood on the half way line!! what nonesense is that!

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying the laws aren't stupid, just that the stupid laws are upheld in a relatively competent way.

If it were up to me I'd have far greater powers to punish people retrospectively for play-acting and cheating, and conversely to review suspensions. I'd only have suspensions really for genuinely violent conduct or for obvious cheating. As well as a TV ref that the ref can contact whenever he likes.

This has been the worst officiated major championship I have ever watched. There are always mistakes, there will always be some big ones, but I have never watched two weeks of football in which there have been so many and so many obvious ones.

This has been the worst officiated major championship I have ever watched. There are always mistakes, there will always be some big ones, but I have never watched two weeks of football in which there have been so many and so many obvious ones.

Has anybody got 3 yellows yet?

No last eight game for Webb.

Ravshan Irmatov, from Uzbekistan, gets one, he had the opener and England's game with Algeria.

Europe's representative is Olegario Benquerenca of Portugal.

If so, then Webb and his excellent team are going to either get a semi-final or the final, fingers crossed its the final.

So odd that with having the richest league in the world in our country that we can't attract these guys to our shores instead of having to put up with the incompetent clowns that we have. It's no coincidence that Poll and Riley were the first referees home in recent major tournaments is it? Howard Webb stands out in this country but I don't think he will in South Africa.

Hear that the high quality referees in this country are in short supply, thats why you see a couple of young referees fast forwarded to the prem.

We cant complain though because we look very short on high quality footballers aswell.

Breaking news

1 WORLDCUP Webb

WEBB TO REFEREE FINAL

From Martyn Ziegler, Press Association Sport, Johannesburg

England's Howard Webb will be the referee for the World Cup final.The 38-year-old from Rotherham has been chosen for the final by FIFA's referees committee.Webb and his assistants Darren Cann and Michael Mullarkey will officiate in the final on Sunday between Spain and Holland at Johannesburg's football City.He will become the first Englishman to referee the final since Jack Taylor in 1974.

Making a mockery of

Howard Webb stands out in this country but I don't think he will in South Africa.

To add to the classic after Lampard's disallowed goal

From what I have seen to date the referees and lino's are absolutely top class. I can hardly rem any putting a foot wrong

And the never to be forgotten

I quite like the way that Michael Gove is shaping up. Like most ministers in the new govt he's been scandalously left in a difficult position but he's squaring up to the task very well. I think he could go far.

: :wstu:

Breaking news

1 WORLDCUP Webb

WEBB TO REFEREE FINAL

England's Howard Webb will be the referee for the World Cup final.The 38-year-old from Rotherham has been chosen for the final by FIFA's referees committee.Webb and his assistants Darren Cann and Michael Mullarkey will officiate in the final on Sunday between Spain and Holland at Johannesburg's football City.He will become the first Englishman to referee the final since Jack Taylor in 1974.

Making a mockery of

jim, get a grip, theno has different views than you. This agenda you have is making you look rather foolish.

Breaking news

1 WORLDCUP Webb

WEBB TO REFEREE FINAL

Making a mockery of

Jim I think you had better check on the dates before posting?.Gordon admited after the Lampard non goal he may have got it wrong.

1 WORLDCUP Webb

WEBB TO REFEREE FINAL

Making a mockery of

thenodrog, on 13 June 2010 - 10:43 AM, said:

Howard Webb stands out in this country but I don't think he will in South Africa.

Bit silly and immature there Jim. You are behaving like you are still at school.

I've said many times on here in the past that I rate Howard Webb as our best referee. Look it up. I don't remember you ever doing so. Webbs selection merely proves that I was right.

Beware though if he drops a clanger in the final you will again look a complete twot. :P

btw can I have the money that you owe me please?

• Backroom

Come on Howard do us proud.

As an aside an will probably make myself look stupid but i think Cairn is the best Lino in the league

At the moment he's been doing well. Obviously with the amount of aggression and poorly timed tackles he's pretty much had to book everyone but I don't think we could disagree with any of the bookings. He's tried to let the game flow but unfortunately the players haven't.

At the moment he's been doing well. Obviously with the amount of aggression and poorly timed tackles he's pretty much had to book everyone but I don't think we could disagree with any of the bookings. He's tried to let the game flow but unfortunately the players haven't.

I don't agree with avoiding red cards just because it's a big occasion. There should be no exceptions. Bommel, for one, could have gone ages ago, as could De Jong (I think?) for his karate kick.

Travesty of a match in which only the two goalkeepers and the referee emerged with any credit. By the letter of the law both teams should have had at least 2 players sent off and it is to Webb's credit that he chose not to allow the occasion to be remembered for players being sent off for cheating and maiming each other than gracing the biggest stage in world football.

Archived