BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Second Round (Last 16) Discussion

Guest Kamy100

The World Cup has turned out like WW2. The French surrendered early, the Americans arrive at the last min and we are left to fight the ###### Germans!

laugh.giflaugh.gif

For those who remember Allo Allo Germany's assistant manager is ......

Herr Flick.

You couldn't make it up.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we managed to score 1 more goal today then it could have been:

Second Round: Ghana. Quarter Final: Uruguay/South Korea.

That would have been a very easy route into the Semi-Final in my opinion, and a massive opportunity missed by England!

After todays results, we could have met Holland in the Semi-Final. Damn you Rob Green!!! :angry:

The World Cup has turned out like WW2. The French surrendered early, the Americans arrive at the last min and we are left to fight the ###### Germans!

On that note, give the USA a call if the Germans give you too much trouble on Sunday. :P

Is the Golden Goal rule being used in this tournament? I thought they scrapped that ages ago?

they got rid of it after Euro 2004 I think. They didn't use it in Germany anyhow.

Well we are into the second round and FIFA have still completely screwed up their ticketing.

The stadium looks like Darlington on a bad day.

It is a strange do. I met a girl who had a bit of a nightmare before the USA v Slovenia game - her brother's flight had been cancelled and the tickets were attributed to his credit card so the girl couldn't collect them. Anyway she was willing to just buy another ticket, but the ticket centre said there was none available, yet the game was 10,000 under capacity.

It has been a very easy WC to just turn up and get tickets, I know someone who had managed to go to every game in Joburg so far, by buying tickets outside and he hadn't once paid over face value.

Well it turns out Italy did make it through the group phase, but this time disguised as Uruguay.

So gutted the Koreans let them get away with that - but its to be expected when the pile of proverbial Lee Dong Gook steps onto the field :angry2:

Annan is extremely impressive. No wonder Ince wasn't interested.

I'm thrilled for Ghana. They're a real team. They're strong at the back, good going forward, have some very talented players and really play for one another. Gyan's finish for the winner was fantastic.

I thought the USA were going to win this however some rubbish defending and shoddy finishing (Findley, Bradley) were critical.

Oh well. I would have loved fro the USA to go on, but it wasn't to be. However, it was a good match, we had our chances but couldn't seal the deal. Ghana played well and with spirit. More power to them.

And as a bonus I have a back up team, England. Tomorrow I will cheer you on to beat the Germans. May you score many goals.

Please win. I don't want to have to pick a second back up team. Which would be either Ghana or Chile, if push comes to shove.

paul_ince_1206783c.jpg

To be fair, Annan had several other trials before he ended up at Rosenborg. Perhaps he wasn't the player he is today?

I too am very impressed with Ghana, always attacks with at least 4 - 5 players running forward and defends with rock solid organization.

I remember the Norwegian posters being very critical of him. I think he was described as a "lightweight".

Looks pretty decent two years later (although still at Rosenborg, so maybe he has only turned it on for the world cup).

Well England are going to need to play very well to progress through the cup, or start getting lucky.

Back in 1982, needing a two goal win over Spain and failed. But since then, we have had lots of chances to go on and win the Trophy, but had poor luck intervene.

1986-Maradonas punch, Linekers bizarre miss late on

1990-Lottery of penalties

1998 Lottery of penalties

2002 Seaman lobbed bizaarely

2006 Lottery of penalties

In all of these KO's, a seemingly easier run to win it loomed had we got through.

Not to mention the Euro 96,04 pens too.

So just under five hours until the game, what are everyone’s thoughts on the outcome?

I really think Germany will win this match. They have produced far better performances than England in all three of their group games so you would think they would be favourites going into this game. The only possible downside i see with them is inexperience, they are a very young team and this tournament may be too soon for some of them.

England could raise their game, but from what I’ve seen so far I’m not sure they can raise it to the level to beat the Germans especially if they are really up for it. If England play like they did against Slovenia then i think they will get slaughtered, they have to raise their game massively.

My Prediction:

2-1 Germany- Ozil, Klose and Gerrard with the goals.

Archived