BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Semi Finals Discussion

Guest Kamy100

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a really poor game apart from that goal. Get the feeling that this Netherlands side is happy to shut the door that Uruguay don't have the class to pick the lock.

...or not. Really poor keeping.

Uruguay don't have the class to pick the lock.

...or not. Really poor keeping.

Quite right.

Forlan is the player of the tournament, but another dreadful goalkeeping error.

Something just occured to me.

I'm enjoying the ITV commentary so much more with no sodding "colour expert". Just the main commentator. No silly little "jokes" no annoying asides or short anecdotes. Just the commentator, commentating.

My overriding impression has been the realisation that most of the really big name players can't really be bothered with it. "Weight of expectations" my arm. They're just too big for it and deep down they don't really care. Germany's rise is wonderful to see but also does highlight how pedestrian and unengaged the other major teams are.

If you really care about winning you don't let stupid rivalries get to you; if you don't really care you latch onto any excuse to feel sorry for yourself. My overriding memory of the tournament will be Gerrard walking on to the second half against Algeria looking like he'd rather be watching Ready Steady Cook. And it's not just England either, it's most of the really big name players.

Still, it looks likely it will culminate in a really cracking final so here's hoping.

Glad to see Holland go through tonight, simply for the fact that it will lead to a superior final, regardless of whether they now face either the Spanish or Germans. I think I would edge towards the Germans progressing because on past performances in this tournament, they fully deserve to at least make the final. In my opinion they have been the most consistently impresive team so far in this World Cup. Also, there is a bit of needle which exists between Germany and Holland - should add that little bit of spice which will make for a cracking World Cup Final.

One last thing, on my comment from the Quarter Final Discussion re: the Suarez hand-ball incident -

Cheaters never prosper. All the best Holland in the semi-final, and I hope Suarez never gets the oppertunity to make an appearance in the World Cup final from an act of cheating.

:D:D:D:D

We've made it! Yeaahhhhhhh! So proud of my small country, well done boys! And we haven't even played a decent match this WC so far! Sunday is going to be booming! Very special to be part of history in the making. Something to tell my grand-children (hopefully) later...!

All in all looks like Uruguay ran out of steam.

Fair play to the Dutch they beat Brazil (although some might say Brazil beat themselves) but rather ironic that the team who may eclipse the teams of 74 and 78 are a far cry in terms of footballing talent and playing the Dutch way.

Is that an allusion to World War 2 or an allusion to how stupid it is to make allusions to World War 2?

Neither. I.m not good at overly sensitive political correctness, I see no need and much harm in it. I was merely alluding to his age. :rolleyes:

All in all looks like Uruguay ran out of steam.

Fair play to the Dutch they beat Brazil (although some might say Brazil beat themselves) but rather ironic that the team who may eclipse the teams of 74 and 78 are a far cry in terms of footballing talent and playing the Dutch way.

Not just the class of 74 and 78; this team is definitely not as good as the class of 80;s (Gullit/Van Basten) or 90's (Berkgamp, Overmars etc), and yet have reached the final match, something those 2 couldnt.

Very few good matches, no great matches so far, terrible officiating, questions over the ball, sub-par performance from virtually all of the best teams and best players, very few good goals...could keep going really. It is by far the worst world cup I have ever watched.

Terrible officiating? I think it's been good in the main apart from a few incidents... the worst and most inexplicable involved us. Last night saw Hollands 2nd goal quite rightly stand. I thought it was offside at first but the replays proved the linesman to be spot on.

There are always questions over the ball at World Cups. It makes more sense introducing new balls AFTER the tournaments. Like cars I guess most new models are fraught with unforseen teething troubles.

I'm an habitual supporter of the underdog. This world cup has been superb for upsets. All underperforming and 'ugly' teams are out thank goodness. The semi finalists all deserve to be there which is not something that occurs every tournament. Many ego's have been badly dented and many 'worldie' myths exposed.

Any teams that appear to rather be elsewhere are elsewhere and that must be good for the game.

I'm enjoying the ITV commentary so much more with no sodding "colour expert". Just the main commentator. No silly little "jokes" no annoying asides or short anecdotes. Just the commentator, commentating.

There was a whole article in today's Times on exactly that point. You don't lose a lot from missing the "he really wants to be hitting the target from there" comments.

Watching the semi last night, it didn't feel very World Cup semi final-ish. Distinct lack of occasion for me. When the second Dutch goal went in, there was hardly any crowd noise, and not much mad celebration from the players. Or is it just me?

Watching the semi last night, it didn't feel very World Cup semi final-ish. Distinct lack of occasion for me. When the second Dutch goal went in, there was hardly any crowd noise, and not much mad celebration from the players. Or is it just me?

Nope, agreement from me. I was astonished at the crowd shots more though, after the Dutch goals and at full time close-up crowd shots were of people in Dutch shirts/colours looking un-interested. Everyone was sat down and it almost looked like they'd just been told they had to spend a night being farted on by a fat girl. Very strange. I thought when Gio scored his wonder goal too, it seemed as if the players didn't rush to celebrate with him at first. Thought I was just imagining all this myself too Oz.

Nope, agreement from me. I was astonished at the crowd shots more though, after the Dutch goals and at full time close-up crowd shots were of people in Dutch shirts/colours looking un-interested. Everyone was sat down and it almost looked like they'd just been told they had to spend a night being farted on by a fat girl. Very strange. I thought when Gio scored his wonder goal too, it seemed as if the players didn't rush to celebrate with him at first. Thought I was just imagining all this myself too Oz.

I think part of that is the psychology of the players though - when you see them interviewed, they tend to say "we've not won anything yet" or similar straight away. They're not interested in coming second and it's quite impressive to see.

And part of it is maybe that they're not quite as bothered as we would be. I remember being in a Dutch bar in Paris when they got knocked out of Euro 2004 and the reaction was just to shrug and get on with life.

Hopefully Germany will win tonight as they have been the best to watch in the tournament for me by a mile.

Whichever side scores the first goal will likely win the game, both sides will have the opportunity to counter attack if they get the first goal. Germany in particular have been putting on a masterclass of counter attacking football this tournament.

The ground was not full by any means!

Hopefully Germany will win tonight as they have been the best to watch in the tournament for me by a mile.

Whichever side scores the first goal will likely win the game, both sides will have the opportunity to counter attack if they get the first goal. Germany in particular have been putting on a masterclass of counter attacking football this tournament.

I'm hoping for a German win too.

The Spanish have been a massive disappoint, it's not enjoyable watching three defensive midfielders try to squeeze into the same team. Busquets or Alonso should be sacrificed for an attacking player, with Xavi moving backward.

Archived