BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Academy 10/11

Hugo Fernández has been called to play for the Spanish U17 team that will host the qualifiers for the European Championship later this month. He has said he's happy for the call and also happy to play in England, although has admitted the Spanish way of playing suits him better, or at least he favors it despite being slower.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone confirm that Jordan Bowen has been loaned to Bamber Bridge. Seems a strange one if true.

I saw that report as well, strange one to make up to be honest. I believe he has got rest of this season left on his contract so would make sense for a club to look at him for a sustained period of time. Will help see if he is better than that level at the minute or not and interest clubs either way.

I saw that report as well, strange one to make up to be honest. I believe he has got rest of this season left on his contract so would make sense for a club to look at him for a sustained period of time. Will help see if he is better than that level at the minute or not and interest clubs either way.

Strange as in Bamber Bridge though, I would have thought a little higher up the leagues, or is that the level he's at after a few years in our a academy.

My god it was windy and quite cold this morning, where was this high teens degrees we were promised??

Down at Brockhall this morning we faced a Liverpool side that had only lost once so far this season and their team included the club's youngest ever player Jack Robinson who came on in their final game of last season.

Rovers meanwhile lined up in the 4-3-3/ 4-5-1 formation that has served them so well for the past few years.

Urwin

Henley Wylie Edwards Billington

Ajagbe

Knowles Cotton

Todd McLaren

Hitchcock

Subs: Vastic, Osawe, Banton, Pivkovski, Hall.

Rovers started the brighter of the 2 sides and had a shout for what looked like a stonewall penalty after Hitchcock (I think) was put through before being clearly tugged back, Hitchcock tried to keep going and his shot was blocked out, the referee gave a corner despite the block coming back off Hitchcock, a cop out if ever there was one.

A few minutes later and another shout for a penalty as a ball from a corner was put in and despite it looking like Hitchcock was getting man handled all over again the referee chose to ignore it.

Liverpool then had the game's first meaningful chance when a ball was crossed into the box, the wind seemed to affect it slightly and with Edwards missing the ball it came to Liverpool's front man but he shot straight at Urwin who saved well. Rovers next had their first proper chance of the game, after a corner was only half cleared the ball found its way to McLaren on the edge of the area who fired over and a similar chance fell to him again a few minutes later, this time he shot straight at the keeper.

Liverpool then came the closest from either side when a run down the wing checked inside and hit a cross shot which curled and hit the top of the bar before the follow up was then blocked by a combination of Edwards and Urwin. A few minutes later and another run forward from midfield by Liverpool ended in a shot going just wide of goal. Liverpool then had a goal ruled out for offside after a ball was put through but the player was judged offside. The signs were there of what could come and with not long to go in the first half Liverpool took the lead. A free kick just inside the Rovers half caught Rovers off guard, Liverpool's number 6 had a run which wasn't stopped, his shot was well saved by Urwin but the follow up was steered home by the Liverpool number 9. 0-1

After an even first half Rovers probably counted themselves unlucky to finish the half behind. John Todd had a great first half with putting the left back under massive amount of pressure every time he got the ball.

Rovers came out for the second half and got back into the swing of things with good passing, much better than Liverpool's throughout, and looking to create chances. Rovers were back on level terms within 10 minutes of the 2nd half from out of nothing really. A ball was in the Liverpool defence and with pressure on them was played back to the keeper, he pushed the ball onto his left foot across the area and went to clear, however he hit the ball straight at McLaren who had closed him down with the keeper now on the floor McLaren had a simple tap in to the net. 1-1.

The keeper then followed this up with almost gifting Rovers another goal, again a clearance was poor which found McLaren 30yds out with Rovers pouring forward the ball found it's way to Cotton who came onto his right foot but the keeper pulled off a good save for a corner.

Rovers then took the lead with around 20-25 minutes to go. A corner into the Liverpool box was adjudged to have been handled, the referee this time gave the penalty. Knowles picked the ball up and confidently stroked the ball into the bottom corner sending the keeper the wrong way. 2-1

Then the best Rovers goal of the game made it 3-1. Again a corner was only half cleared, Ajagbe collected the ball 35 yards out and found Hitchcock on the edge of the area who controlled well with his chest before slipping the ball 'round the corner' to Jamie McLaren who from 14 yds out slipped the ball past the keeper and into the bottom corner. 3-1

Liverpool then basically sealed the result with having a man sent off. With their Number 5 on a yellow already, he slid into a tackle and should have been given a throw in from it, the ref saw if differently and after demonstrating with the ref he threw the ball away angrily leaving the ref with no choice but to show a 2nd yellow and off he went. The number 6 then picked up a yellow after stating "You've had a f***ing nightmare ref", they hardly made it difficult for the ref who was handing out yellows for this type of behaviour freely.

Rovers tried to extend their lead and made changes with Vastic and Osawe all coming on for Cotton and McLaren this following the substitution of Banton for Todd earlier on in the half. Osawe for one fired just wide as did Vastic.

Liverpool did however give themselves a lifeline, a ball from the halfway line was put across field to the corner of the 18yrd box, the number 9 got the best of Wylie who was caught out of position, took a touch and fired the ball into the far bottom corner. 3-2

With only 3 minutes left though Liverpool had little time to do anything else and it again looked as it Rovers would score if anyone.

The match ended 3-2 with Rovers clearly looking delighted, Liverpool not so much.

Urwin- Made some great saves and blocks, could have perhaps done better on the first but was a tough initial save was left stranded slightly. Good kicking as well.

Henley- Struggled defensively and his touch wasn't great at times, looked ok at times going forward but gave ball away cheaply.

Billington- Struggled against their right winger early with pace but then stood off him and handled him better.

Wylie- Apart from final goal did nothing wrong, swept up well in defence.

Edwards- Handled their attackers well all day and is the new organiser in defence it seems.

Ajagbe- In an unfamiliar role of Defensive midfield, he played really well. Picking out good passes, good tackling and kept up energy throughout, possibly best game I've seen him play.

Knowles- Normal energetic self with good runs forward and getting stuck in, got booked for one bad tackle in the first half. Took his pen very well.

Cotton- Same as Knowles really, looks very comfortable on the ball and supports the attack also.

Todd- Had a very lively start to the game beating the full back for fun, went quiet the more the game went on and was taken off for Banton.

McLaren- Played predominantly right of the 3 attackers, took his 2nd goal really well and was a constant threat throughout to the defence, all of which were much bigger than him.

Hitchcock- Another good performance from him, winning plenty of headers against bigger lads. Got booked for verbal. Set up the 3rd goal very well and links up play between midfield and attack very well.

Banton- Quiet when he came on and not much came off for him.

Osawe- Still to be impressed massively by him.

Vastic- Some nice touches and very direct.

Ref- Another shocker, never seen a game where there were more bookings for verbal etc than tackles. Looked quite young, was awful throughout really refusing to make key decisions mainly.

Liverpool had a really good right winger who was pacy but would throw his arms about a bit, Billington took a couple in the face. On the whole they were a very vocal group hence the bookings for them.

Couldn't agree more about the referee today hollowsr. I can't remember when I last saw an Academy game in which so many cards - yellow and a red - have been shown. It was yet another example of how an official can make problems for himself by his inability to get decisions correct. It certainly wasn't a 'dirty' game. Indeed, I thought both sides played some good football considering the windy conditions. However, when the referee can't get the 'big' decisions right it's no wonder the players get frustrated.

Personally, I thought Liverpool had by far the better of the first half but were then undermined by the goalkeeper who made a schoolboy error for Maclaren's opening goal. I thought we tried to play too many long balls in the opening period and the wind simply blew the ball all over the place. In the second half we reverted to our normal type of passing game and started to enjoy longer periods of possession. I thought Maclaren ran them ragged at times on the right wing although, in fairness, both of their wingers caused problems at times and our full-backs struggled to keep them under control.

I was very disappointed with Banton today. There were times when he first arrived that I thought we have unearthed a real gem but he seems to be going backwards at the moment. He has the talent but you start to wonder if the desire and dedication are there to the same extent.

It was a very enjoyable game and an excellent result for Gary Bowyer's young side.

Banton was playing well at end of last season but don't think I'd seen him this season before today. He was poor today but he has been injured so don't know if it is anything to do with fitness??

I was impressed as ever with J Mac today, he's just always there when the ball is in there defence.

I still wouldn't say Liverpool had by far the better of the 1st, maybe at end they did but can definitely understand your view :)

Good to see us get a good result and yet we still have others who could come in and do a job in the team! The likes of Evans, James, Lindsay, Hands, A.Hanley, Pearson, Hugo Fernandez, Parry plus the people on the bench today.

Also forgot to say earlier U16s won 1-0, apparently won all games so far this season, not sure if true or not :s They have a few useful looking players and one really tall lad for an U16!!

Couldn't agree more about the referee today hollowsr. I can't remember when I last saw an Academy game in which so many cards - yellow and a red - have been shown. It was yet another example of how an official can make problems for himself by his inability to get decisions correct. It certainly wasn't a 'dirty' game. Indeed, I thought both sides played some good football considering the windy conditions. However, when the referee can't get the 'big' decisions right it's no wonder the players get frustrated.

Personally, I thought Liverpool had by far the better of the first half but were then undermined by the goalkeeper who made a schoolboy error for Maclaren's opening goal. I thought we tried to play too many long balls in the opening period and the wind simply blew the ball all over the place. In the second half we reverted to our normal type of passing game and started to enjoy longer periods of possession. I thought Maclaren ran them ragged at times on the right wing although, in fairness, both of their wingers caused problems at times and our full-backs struggled to keep them under control.

I was very disappointed with Banton today. There were times when he first arrived that I thought we have unearthed a real gem but he seems to be going backwards at the moment. He has the talent but you start to wonder if the desire and dedication are there to the same extent.

It was a very enjoyable game and an excellent result for Gary Bowyer's young side.

The referee is either newly promoted to that level, or he was caught listening to and easily influenced by 'spud' Murphy of Fulham.

Went yesterday down to Bolton's Academy to see our youth team play.

Bolton came into this game on the back of their first lost of the season to Crewe whilst Rovers were on a high after last weekends win over Liverpool. Whilst Bolton have only lost one so far this season (and drawn 2, winning 5) they haven't been properly tested with some of the bigger teams yet to play them. So having said all that Rovers obviously lost the game 2-0.

Rovers again seemed to be struggling with injuries or were giving some a rest. With only 3 people on the bench and a midfield with 2 defenders in there.

Urwin

Henley O'Connor Edwards Billington

Ajagbe

Knowles Wylie

Hall Osawe

Hitchcock

SUBS: Vastic, Todd, Lindsay

It was a game which Bolton had the better of for the most part but they struggled to create many clear cut chances but lots of crosses into the box were cleared away. Rovers also struggled to create much and a mix of poor finishing and good defending stopped them from scoring.

The game started brightly and it was Rovers who had the first chance, a ball through saw Osawe have a good chance but his shot ended up being blocked for a corner. Bolton then had their first chance of the game on 5 minutes when a short corner saw Rovers asleep but fortunately the resulting cross in was wasted with a header going wide of goal. Bolton proceeded to have the better of the first 15 minutes but no side had any real chances in that time.

On 20 minutes it was Osawe again with a run down the left flank, he cut inside at the edge of the area but a weak shot was straight at the keeper who had an easy save to make. Bolton then wasted best chance of the opening exchanges just a minute later. A run down the right saw the ball worked to the edge of the area but the resulting shot was over the top of Matt Urwin's goal.

It continued for the next 10 minutes or so with both teams having few chances but Bolton probably on top. The first goal of the game came on 34 minutes. A run down the Bolton right saw the number 7 get past 3 Rovers players (Hall, Billington and Edwards I think) he had the time in the area to pick out a pull back to the edge of the area and the shot was deflected into the corner of the Rovers net 1-0

Rovers had a couple of chances before half time with Jadan Hall having a good run down the left before stabbing the ball wide and high and having a free kick tipped wide. It was Bolton who had another good chance before half time with a free kick being headed wide.

Rovers will have been unhappy at HT with how they hadn't really stamped their authority on the game and were letting Bolton dictate the play on the whole. However Bolton started the second half with another chance from a corner which Urwin did well to block. Bolton did however double their lead 5 minutes later, a corner was swung in from the left and seemed to be clearing everyone but the ball then hit Billington and rebounded for the Bolton no 10 who finished well into the top left hand corner. 2-0

Rovers then had the best of the game from then on with Bolton happy to try to hit us on the break which they did a few times. Rovers made a few changes with Vastic and Todd coming on for Hall and Ajagbe. A ball to the edge of the area saw Hitchcock control well and was then brought down from behind. Knowles fired the free kick just wide. On 65 minutes Vastic won the ball on half way and found Hitchcock who fed in Todd on the right of the area who seemed to delay a second allowing his shot to get blocked out for a corner. From the corner by Knowles the ball was flicked on by Hitchcock to the far post, headed back across goal by Osawe which found Hitchcock again on the byline who fed it back into the centre of goal but O'Connor's attempt was blocked out for a corner.

Vastic was also subbed off after not long being on the pitch, he was booked just before hand for leading with the elbow into a header but Bowyer was also shouting at him to work harder so was subbed for one or both of these reasons.

Rovers then had a few chances in the next 5 minutes but none clear cut and Bolton almost got a third when a long ball was allowed to bounce by O'Connor on half way which allowed a Bolton player to run through but his touch was too heavy and Urwin smothered.

In the last 10 minutes Rovers put on strong pressure with a number of corners just about being cleared with 2 off the line in successive corners.

However Rovers didn't deserve anything from the game.

Urwin- Did well with what he had to do, his kicking wasn't as good as recently but could do little about the goals especially the 2nd.

Henley- Yet to see what he can do this season. Doesn't support attacking play much and can be caught out a bit in defence.

Edwards- Decided yesterday he reminds me of Martin Taylor, looks uncomfortable with the ball and is tall. No daft mistakes really though but him and O'Connor seemed to struggle to work together.

O'Connor- As said above struggled to work with Edwards, odd as they have played together a bit this year it seems.

Billington- At fault for the 2nd I think, seemed to cope quite well with 2 players as he had little protection on the left.

Ajagbe- Not as good as last week, I think him and Wylie struggled with who was sitting and who should join the attack.

Wylie- Struggled early on and had little impact but grew more as the game went on, could be a good utility player for us.

Knowles- Was one of the brighter guys for us early on but come 2nd half was shifted out left once Hall went off, not his position so struggled.

Hall- Needs a massive confidence boost from somewhere, he has never looked confident when I've seen him but he has got quality in him.

Osawe- With the ball he is pretty good, without it he is worse than Banton was at any point last season.

Hithcock- Had no chances that I can remember despite being in good positions at times, the ball never came to him, he still works hard but as I constantly say he is better playing with someone up top. Got booked for a late challenge but he barely touched the guy who rolled on the floor got onto his knees whilst looking to see if he was getting booked and immediately jumped up and jogged off when the yellow had been given. :angry2:

All in all I'd say it's one to forget we looked more dangerous from set pieces :o

• 2 weeks later...

Rovers lost 3-0 v Wolves this morning.

Urwin

Henley Parry Edwards Ramm

Potts

Knowles Cotton

Todd Hitchcock Maclaren

Subs- Osawe, Wylie, Fernandez, Hall, Vastic.

On the whole a pretty poor performance. Rovers rarely looked threatening enough but did come close early on from a Knowles free kick after that Wolves looked much better.

Wolves got their first when Henley lost possession cheaply a through ball caught Parry flat footed and their forward ran through before slipping the ball through Urwin's legs.

Wolves got their second after a corner wasn't cleared and the ball made its way to the back post for a Wolves player to slide in a smash it into the roof of the net just before HT.

Wolves third came late in the game a run down the left saw a Wolves player easily beat Edwards for pace and Urwin dived to early giving the guy an easy target to slip it the other way.

Up front there was as ever lots of work from Hitchcock but little he could do but chase. The midfield was anonymous besides Potts who looked one of the best players on the pitch, we should start blooding him more in the reserves as he is way too good for this level.

Urwin- Made a few mistakes and was made to pay, looked uncomfortable on another occasion when he dropped a cross in which almost resulted in a goal which giving him credit he stopped.

Henley- Will never ever make it, too weak, not especially good going forward. Still yet to see him play well.

Ramm- Never looked comfortable at left back, tried his best but going forward he had to keep stopping to switch back onto his left.

Parry- Being the senior defender I expected more organisation from him but it didn't come, caught for the 1st goal.

Edwards- Another mistake and again he was punished for it, can make some good tackles but then does daft things.

Potts- As said above best player definitely for Rovers if not overall. Plays good passes, keeps the ball well and tries to spread the play. Seems to have got his temperament sorted also.

Knowles and Cotton- Done them together as it was same story on the whole, quiet game for them both, game seemed to by pass them for whatever reason, lots of chasing for them both really.

Maclaren- Quiet game on the left wing, didn't seem up for it and was subbed off for Osawe.

Todd- Looked dangerous when he got the ball but couldn't get into the game enough to be a constant threat.

Hitchcock- Lots of running, little reward.

Hall and Fernandez came on also but can't remember who for at the moment both didn't have much time to do much.

Osawe- lots of pace but doesn't seem to think ahead, frustrating.

Also congratulations to Ramm and Pearson for making the England U18 squad.

• 2 weeks later...

Rovers entertained Crewe this morning with a chance of moving up a few places in the league, with Man Utd and West Brom playing each other (both directly above us) and Liverpool facing 2nd placed Man City who are just above us as well. Crewe were also one of only two teams below us............so I don't need to tell you in typical Rovers fashion what happened!

Rovers lined up:

Dilo

Wylie O'Connor Edwards Henley

Ajagbe

Cotton Maclaren

Evans Hitchcock Banton

Subs: Pivkovski, Osawe, Fernandez, James, Hall.

Rovers had plenty of opportunities early on the main being when Maclaren should have found a pullback for Hitchcock but decided to go alone and made a mess of it. Rovers didn't make the most of the possession and fell behind with a soft penalty decision when Ajagbe was judged to have brought down a man inside the area, the penalty was brilliantly placed and struck with power into the bottom left.

Rovers then fell behind with a fluke goal. One Crewe player hit it from 25/30yrds out O'Connor made an attempt to get something on it brought it back on target and despite Dilo seemeingly getting both hands on it he couldn't keep it out. Their third came right on half time, with a superbly struck free kick flying into the top corner giving debutant Dilo no chance.

Rovers made a couple of changes at HT with Fernandez and Osawe replacing Banton and Cotton. Rovers started brightly and got reward for that with a good effort from Osawe after a good run that he managed to sneak into the corner. Rovers continued to press but Crewe defended brilliantly with one centre back particularly playign outstanding and they soon hit Rovers on the break with a good finish from just inside the area. Crewe then should have made it 5 when Dilo mishandled a free kick but fortunately the follow up was spooned wide.

Rovers lost heart after this and never truly looked like getting anything else from the game. A game to be forgotten overall with the 3 goals in the first half coming from set pieces or misfortune.

Dilo- I hope he was nervous as he didn't bring much confidence today but I did see him pre-season where he looked more assured.

Wylie- Think he is suffering from playing in different position each week, didn't play well today but I think he needs to be settled in one position, it can be good for youngsters to play different positions but not every week. Think he has played everywhere but goal and up front this season.

Henley- Looked quite good going forward today but passing was awful most of the time. Wasn't pushed much defensively as most attacks came down opposite side. He was playing left back though today, not sure why when Wylie has played there this year.

Edwards- Not strong enough, still prone to errors but did look ok at times but still not going to make it unfortunately despite his height.

O'Connor- If he sorts other stuff out he could make it but had a game to forget overall. Was our best defender though and you can't have 1 defender play ok and win.

Ajagbe- Shocker..........enough said really but poor passing gave away possession too easily.

Cotton- Kept possession well in first half before being taken off, apparently limping towards half time.

Maclaren- Tried to link up with Hitchcock but final ball never came off today, got forward well but faded in 2nd half.

Evans- Nothing to note really when he had the ball he threatened slightly but didn't provide many chances.

Banton- Has the quality to do it but struggled mainly today before being taken off at half time, looked good early on but struggled more as half went on with organised Crewe defence.

Hitchcock- He's a trier if nothing else, as already said nothing came off in the final third.

Osawe- Looked brilliant when he first came on and capped it with a goal but then faded more and played deeper as the 2nd half went on.

Fernandez- Tried quite hard but get the feeling he is still getting used to the physical aspect of the English game.

Pivkovski (on for Evans in 2nd half)- Looked pretty good to be fair, possibly one of his best games so far that I've seen anyhow.

2 more league games before Christmas break now, West Brom away and Bolton at home with Reading in the cup coming up at Ewood!

• 4 weeks later...

The permanent double promotion of everyone in the Rovers football hierarchy today presumably leaves vacancies at the Academy.

We have so many gems there by all accounts, it can only mean that Kentaro are now going to muscle in on that side of the club's operations.

The permanent double promotion of everyone in the Rovers football hierarchy today presumably leaves vacancies at the Academy.

We have so many gems there by all accounts, it can only mean that Kentaro are now going to muscle in on that side of the club's operations.

In what way?

No I don't know but it appears the man who has worked a miracle at turning the Rovers Academy into one of the most productive in the country is now full time Reserve team coach. This everybody step forwards two paces which has happened today means the entire football staff are starting new jobs all at the same time as well as leaving the club's football future totally exposed.

This of course is assuming Nicko's post is absolutely correct but as he has a hot line source to Kentaro, got to assume he's got it right.

No I don't know but it appears the man who has worked a miracle at turning the Rovers Academy into one of the most productive in the country is now full time Reserve team coach. This everybody step forwards two paces which has happened today means the entire football staff are starting new jobs all at the same time as well as leaving the club's football future totally exposed.

This of course is assuming Nicko's post is absolutely correct but as he has a hot line source to Kentaro, got to assume he's got it right.

Or alternatively Downes gets to move up with the players he has worked with and continue their development. As long as he is replacement competently then their should be no problem as the infrastructure is still in place.

They have been promoted, doesn't mean they stop talking to each other,

again why would it be so bad for us?

Or alternatively Downes gets to move up with the players he has worked with and continue their development. As long as he is replacement competently then their should be no problem as the infrastructure is still in place.

Behind the times, Downes left a few years ago. :P

If it is right with everyone moving up one then although Bowyer has moved up he was also here under Downes for a while at least. This still means that Phil Cannon, Academy Manager, is still around, he may now be in charge of the U18's or Terry McPhillips has moved from U16s.

Behind the times, Downes left a few years ago. :P

If it is right with everyone moving up one then although Bowyer has moved up he was also here under Downes for a while at least. This still means that Phil Cannon, Academy Manager, is still around, he may now be in charge of the U18's or Terry McPhillips has moved from U16s.

Whats Simon Ireland doing, ex Rovers player and Uefa A coach and was with the academy?

Archived