Photo
* * * * - 8 votes

Rovers Takeover

• This topic is locked This topic is locked (or you're not logged in)
2530 replies to this topic

#1101 47er

47er

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7174 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 23:25 PM

Now why would we want to do that?

We wouldn't but you're pouring cold water on Syed's proposed takeover, not me.

#1102 Fife Rover

Fife Rover

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4848 posts

• ST Block: w11

Posted 20 October 2010 - 23:33 PM

We wouldn't but you're pouring cold water on Syed's proposed takeover, not me.

What on Earth are you gibbering about??? I am most certainly NOT and never have been against Mr. Ali's bid. All I have ever said is that I want the Trust to tread very carefully and make 100% sure that whichever bid they decide to accept is accepted for all the right reasons and that they use every possible effort to ensure this. I have tended to favour the Syed bid and still do.

Edited by Fife Rover, 20 October 2010 - 23:34 PM.

#1103 Paul

Paul

World Cup

• Backroom Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14743 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 23:43 PM

Syed appears to be trying is hardest to get the Blackburn public/Rovers fans behind his bid.

I can't say I can remember any club owner making these sort of donations let alone a jockey that has not even finished the race.

Three so called acts of charity in the last week, weird but fair play to him.

Hearts and minds .......... ???.

If this is the case, and I've no reason to doubt it, if, or when, he becomes the owner the simpler and cheaper method will be to clearly explain his intentions for the club, set some targets and achieve them. Chucking some petty cash, relative to his wealth, around Blackburn is more likely to raise questions. Give the fans a proper idea of the "Why?" and only then start spreading your money around the town.

Taking a break for a while..................................................... 

#1104 Glenn

Glenn

BDFL (retired)

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10568 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 23:48 PM

However, your point about not spoiling the journos info is ridiculous. If you don't want to spoil their fun (I would) then why bother telling us that you know that a story is going to be in the Telegraph the next day (or next hour as it turned out tonight)? It can only be to flatter your own ego! It's obvious you know someone who works for that rag, so what? It is this kind of willy waving that I object to, more than anything.

We're lucky that there is a network of news being collected and shared between several journalists and other connected parties on this (and I feel quite lucky I get to see what I assume is a considerable percentage of it), now currently everyone seems to be playing nice, nobody is scooping anyone else, nobody does anything to screw over the other's sales (which is why we quite often have news stories ready, but embargo until the originator runs it first), people are sharing small bits of the jigsaw with each other in confidence in the hope that it could help solve the bigger puzzle and most of all nobody wants to accidentally scupper a deal that could be the most important thing to happen to the club since Jack first got involved.

So, Philip *could* spill everything that comes past him, but we'd find very very quickly that the flow of information stopped and that would benefit nobody. Have a little faith that Philip, our own behind the scenes news guys and the professional journos are all doing what's best for the community, the site, the fans and the club, not playing some kind of "I know something you don't" game.

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize. ~Voltaire
Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire
Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. ~ Benjamin Franklin

#1105 67splitscreen

67splitscreen

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5792 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 23:52 PM

He got slated by many last time he leaked his intentions, maybe in a way he sees his latest actions as stating his intentions.
I'm sceptical behind the reasoning as it does seem unique, if he is unsuccessful in buying the club at least some people in Blackburn will have benefited from his generosity and will long be remembered.

If the trust have a problem with him then fair enough.
" I'd like to play for an Italian club like Barcelona. " Mark Draper

#1106 47er

47er

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7174 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 23:56 PM

What on Earth are you gibbering about??? I am most certainly NOT and never have been against Mr. Ali's bid. All I have ever said is that I want the Trust to tread very carefully and make 100% sure that whichever bid they decide to accept is accepted for all the right reasons and that they use every possible effort to ensure this. I have tended to favour the Syed bid and still do.

Keep your kilt on Fife, I don't remember any enthusiasm for any takeover from you, only doubts, but if I missed the occasional post amongs all the negativity I apologise. You keep on asking"WHY" he's interested. I did try to supply what I thought was a reasonable answer--did you read it?

We all want the Trust to tread very carefully, the time being taken strongly suggests they are.

If this is the case, and I've no reason to doubt it, if, or when, he becomes the owner the simpler and cheaper method will be to clearly explain his intentions for the club, set some targets and achieve them. Chucking some petty cash, relative to his wealth, around Blackburn is more likely to raise questions. Give the fans a proper idea of the "Why?" and only then start spreading your money around the town.

I thought he had done all this weeks if not months ago.

Edited by 47er, 20 October 2010 - 23:55 PM.

#1107 Spansterkid

Spansterkid

Premier League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:05 AM

...and the professional journos are all doing what's best for the community, the site, the fans and the club, not playing some kind of "I know something you don't" game.

You are joking, right? Surely, please tell me you are.

uncouth garb & strange oaths

#1108 philipl

philipl

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27436 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:05 AM

Ok spanster, where do you think the professional journis get some of their stories from?

They have no choice but to play nice with the Rovers community if you want to be cynical about it.

By Rovers community I mean the club and it's fans.

With regards to Ali Syed, he has a track record of quiet philanthropy wherever he is involved if I remember a profile written about him back in August correctly.

Yes it is true the Walker Trust has a charitable arm that operates very diiscreetly and one of the few caveats publicly acknowledged over the past 20 years is a Trust clause about the people of Blackburn in relation to their involvement with Rovers.

However, I have learnt down the years that it is the basest form of cynicism to link inapproproate motives to somebody else's generosity and charity.

Only Ali Syed knows why he is doing what he is doing and his motives are only of interest to fans like me if he becomes Rovers new owner. Until the seemingly unlikely event of that happening, surely we should just be over-joywd by these gifts to our town.

So my feeling is to leave cynicism to one side and to celebrate the fantastic news for the organizations that are benefitting from game changing donations and acknowledge the great sensitivity and sensibility of how Mr Syed is going about making the donations.

#1109 Spansterkid

Spansterkid

Premier League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:09 AM

Ok spanster, where do you think the professional journis get some of their stories from?

They have no choice but to play nice with the Rovers community if you want to be cynical about it.

They get their stories from various contacts all over the place. I simply said that journalists generally are not motivated by what is best for the community. To say they are is a joke, at best.

With regards to Ali Syed, he has a track record of quiet philanthropy wherever he is involved if I remember a profile written about him back in August correctly.

Yes it is true the Walker Trust has a charitable arm that operates very diiscreetly and one of the few caveats publicly acknowledged over the past 20 years is a Trust clause about the people of Blackburn in relation to their involvement with Rovers.

However, I have learnt down the years that it is the basest form of cynicism to link inapproproate motives to somebody else's generosity and charity.

Only Ali Syed knows why he is doing what he is doing and his motives are only of interest to fans like me if he becomes Rovers new owner. Until the seemingly unlikely event of that happening, surely we should just be over-joywd by these gifts to our town.

So my feeling is to leave cynicism to one side and to celebrate the fantastic news for the organizations that are benefitting from game changing donations and acknowledge the great sensitivity and sensibility of how Mr Syed is going about making the donations.

I'm not being cynical about his motives. I think he is motivated by a desire to prove a very real commitment to the club and to the area and by an honest desire to 'put something back'. That philanthropy is necessary and the concentration of enormous levels of wealth in so few hands, accumulated no doubt (in this case as in every other) through the exploitation of some poor workers somewhere, are the things I have problems with. But as I said before that's another matter. I'm very happy, as you are, that the organisations are benefiting from Mr Ali's connection to the town, however that connection was made.

Edited by Spansterkid, 21 October 2010 - 06:11 AM.

uncouth garb & strange oaths

#1110 PAFELL

PAFELL

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6401 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:24 AM

Would the takeover have to be announced publicly? I ask because of Syed's donation to these local charities. Why do it, BEFORE completing the takeover. Could it not have already been done, which is why he is making these donations now. Hope these donations are not conditinal on Syed being successful in buying the club. Does it matter if people outside of the club, the trustees, the prem officals etc know who owns the club. Could not the club say "this takeover has happened, but we do not want it to be made public due to whatever reason - (transfer market etc)". Could not Syed become part of the trust and donate money into the trust for the club? Therefore the trust continues, but with another member in it. I do not know how these things work, but the fact that there is a plan B. If the club is not SOLD, there will be funds for transfers (maybe Syed's imput)
VENKYS OUT

#1111 philipl

philipl

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27436 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:38 AM

No idea Pafell. It is quite possible there could be a small delay between the deed and the announcement of sale but that is more likely to be hours getting time zones right for both parties etc rather than days.

Imagine a sale leaking after it had been done!

Paul, my recollection of what WGA/Ali Syed have said:

- WGA SPORTS AG set up in Switzerland to acquire Rovers

- 300m going in over 15 years in 5 year tranches

- no expectation of recovering the amount committed to Rovers

- there might be additional funds.

Other things that have been reported as coming from Ali/Syed but I have not seen directly attributed to Ali Syed/WGA:

- 60m to be paid to Walker Trust for delivering a completely debt free Rovers to WGA Sports AG (no idea what is defined as being debts but assume loans from banks and the Trust will be paid off)

- 100m commitment in first year. No idea if that includes the 60m; I guess it does. Equally, I think it is reasonable to assume the 100m is part of the 300m.

- there will be a marketing and an infrastructure budget. Again no indication that those budgets are outside the 300m so I assume the 300m covers those as well.

#1112 trueblue

trueblue

Champions League

• Community Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:48 AM

Once again Philip, many thanks for your input.. I have no 'business head' whatsoever so really appreciate your postings explaining how things work. Cheers! :tu:
'Beer, Beer We Want More Beer!'

#1113 Roversider

Roversider

Premier League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

• ST Block: W03

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:54 AM

As usual, another relatively quiet day on the takeover news front apart from stories about Mr Ali Syed's generosity.

On the subject of his gifts can I say to those people who are full of cynicism about his motives, well it doesn't matter to me why he was motivated to do it. It is churlish to attribute base motives when the gifts will do a great deal of good for needy causes in Blackburn. If it is to improve his image with the people of Blackburn then it is a very good start.

As to whether it influences the chance of him buying Rovers you would have to talk to the Trustees. It would be nice to think that he is building a relationship up with the people of Blackburn and not just the football club.
Fraser Eagle, CIS, Walkersteel - Always be the Riverside - TOSS THAT TEDDY!

#1114 bluebruce

bluebruce

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2590 posts
  • Location:Blackburn born, Darwen raised, Staffordshire educated, now in Blackpool

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:42 AM

- no expectation of recovering the amount committed to Rovers

Sorry to call you up on this one, but people seem to keep forgetting it. As I've said earlier in the takeover saga, twice, one of the first interviews with Mr Syed, with some news agency who I forget but are quite big, had him saying that he didn't expect to get his money back in the short or medium term, but in the long term, he thought he could expect profits. It isn't entirely clear how he meant this (ie, operating profits on a yearly basis, or recouping his investment with a bit on top), but he said it, and it clearly isn't as cut and dry as no expectation of recovering the amount, which I think he has never said in those words? I'd be happy to see a quote if I'm wrong.

There's something else I think people are missing here. I don't think anybody who is questioning the motives of Syed's donations is questioning the obvious intrinsic value of the donations or suggesting he's a dirty liar etc for making them. We are simply observing, as the Trust have to an even larger extent, that it shouldn't guarantee him victory. Personally I'm more encouraged by Syed's bid than the others, especially now it is becoming clear he really does have a lot of dough and a willingness to spend it (Where is tony gale's mic now?)

I do think these donations are positive signs, looking outside the OBVIOUS benefit to the town, but that doesn't mean the motives can't be questioned within the seperate matter of Syed's bid. It isn't churlish to do so, it's sensible. 40k is fantastic, but it's also El Hadji Diouf's weekly wage. Again, positive sign, but that kind of money shouldn't be considered a full house in this poker game. Our future is at stake here.

Edited by bluebruce, 21 October 2010 - 07:51 AM.

BRFC
Once proud...
...now Rao'd.

#1115 GAV

GAV

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9979 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:47 AM

For what it's worth, my 'hotline' came from someone who worked at Walkersteel for twenty-odd years

My dad worked at Walkersteel for twenty-odd years also, but he's no idea who will be taking over.....

If you don't like what people are posting on this thread Spansterkid don't read it, simple as that.

Oh mercerman, come out come out wherever you are! :tu:

#1116 philipl

philipl

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27436 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:51 AM

Sorry to call you up on this one, but people seem to keep forgetting it. As I've said earlier in the takeover saga, twice, one of the first interviews with Mr Syed, with some news agency who I forget but are quite big, had him saying that he didn't expect to get his money back in the short or medium term, but in the long term, he thought he could expect profits. It isn't entirely clear how he meant this (ie, operating profits on a yearly basis, or recouping his investment with a bit on top), but he said it, and it clearly isn't as cut and dry as no expectation of recovering the amount, which I think he has never said in those words? I'd be happy to see a quote if I'm wrong.

There's something else I think people are missing here. I don't think anybody who is questioning the motives of Syed's donations is questioning the obvious intrinsic value of the donations or suggesting he's a dirty liar etc for making them. We are simply observing, as the Trust have to an even larger extent, that it shouldn't guarantee him victory. Personally I'm more encouraged by Syed's bid than the others, especially now it is becoming clear he really does have a lot of dough and a willingness to spend it (Where is tony gale's mic now?)

I remember him saying that as well bluebruce but I am sure it was more in the context that he believes he could make a return in the long term, not that he is planning to and that there was also an uncaveated statement about not expecting to recover the money put in. I might be wrong- I didn't copy it.

#1117 bluebruce

bluebruce

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2590 posts
  • Location:Blackburn born, Darwen raised, Staffordshire educated, now in Blackpool

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:59 AM

I remember him saying that as well bluebruce but I am sure it was more in the context that he believes he could make a return in the long term, not that he is planning to and that there was also an uncaveated statement about not expecting to recover the money put in. I might be wrong- I didn't copy it.

I remember him using a phrase something like "I believe that yes, we can expect (good?) profits in the long term"...expect seems a pretty strong word to me. Of course, with English not being his first language, it is difficult to extract precise meaning from quotes. I have a vague memory of him saying he didn't expect to recover money, but I also seem to recall something similar was said earlier in the same interview I'm talking about...his later statement in that interview seemed to contradict or clarify this. I'd love for Syed to expressly state "Unless the business produces natural profits, I will never take back any of the money I put in", and hopefully sign something to the same effect (could be what the Trust want). That'd be highly reassuring to me.
BRFC
Once proud...
...now Rao'd.

#1118 John

John

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10982 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:07 AM

Sorry to call you up on this one, but people seem to keep forgetting it. As I've said earlier in the takeover saga, twice, one of the first interviews with Mr Syed, with some news agency who I forget but are quite big, had him saying that he didn't expect to get his money back in the short or medium term, but in the long term, he thought he could expect profits.

That is correct.

Remember Syed owns an investment company therefore you would guess he would want to make some money out of BRFC....

Edited by John, 21 October 2010 - 08:24 AM.

It is amazing what can be achieved when no one cares who gets the credit.

#1119 tonyoz

tonyoz

Uefa Europa League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1094 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:32 AM

Would the takeover have to be announced publicly? I ask because of Syed's donation to these local charities. Why do it, BEFORE completing the takeover.

Some might call it "greasing the wheels".

Edited by tonyoz, 21 October 2010 - 08:33 AM.

#1120 Hughesy

Hughesy

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21885 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:36 AM

Syed wont mouth off anymore after his initial media piece - it didnt go down too well in the corridors of power.

As for the takeover - Still no sale?

God this is getting boring!
The best way to predict your future is to create it!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Important Legal Information

All content is copyright of its respective posters and may not be representative of the views of BRFCS Ltd, its staff, volunteers, members, sponsors or advertisers. Content on the public forums of this site is not pre-moderated. If you feel that any content is defamatory or constitutes harassment, or that it contravenes the site posting guidelines, or that it may result in the site or its owners, volunteers, users or members facing legal action, you should alert BRFCS immediately either by using the REPORT function available on every post or by sending an email to admin@brfcs.com with details of the content in question.

Note that this site uses cookies. As the site does not function without cookies, any use of the site implies consent for us to use them. Under new European law, BRFCS is required to disclose how these cookies are used. Please see our privacy policy for more information.

BRFCS Ltd. Registered in England and Wales under company registration number 07315781.