BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Takeover

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is correct.

Remember Syed owns an investment company therefore you would guess he would want to make some money out of BRFC....

No way would he get the £300m back, never mind making a profit on it.

If he were purely profit motivated, he would not be making the donations of the size he has.

No way would he get the £300m back, never mind making a profit on it.

If he were purely profit motivated, he would not be making the donations of the size he has.

As Sam correctly said last week, you just hope any prospective owner knows what they are getting into. Bit worrying that Syed thought he could push through the sale in August (before the end of the transfer window) - or was that all PR talk as well.

• Backroom

As Sam correctly said last week, you just hope any prospective owner knows what they are getting into. Bit worrying that Syed thought he could push through the sale in August (before the end of the transfer window) - or was that all PR talk as well.

Wouldn't the fact we are owned by a trust and not an individual (or consortium) be the reason the sale has become drawn out?.. the sale not being so straight forward?

Wouldn't the fact we are owned by a trust and not an individual (or consortium) be the reason the sale has become drawn out?.. the sale not being so straight forward?

I would assume so, obviously Syed didn't when he made those comments....

I feel that Syed’s donations are given for compassionate reasons but also made to possibly counter the unfairly perceived image that the Goldberg revelations created.

I also feel that it is not meant to be something that “greases the wheels” of the deal but possibly due to the NDA as a message to the fans that he is still on track and still determined to buy the club.

The 'latest' I hear is that there are two live bidders still in for the club - but that there will have to be a result by the end of October.

That is from a pretty good source outside the club with very good sources inside the club.

I think it is correct and I hope it means there will be a resolution by the end of October.

If not, move on...

Any indications of an "attitude change"?

I know that option has been discussed - and makes a whole lot of sense.

You can have a nice big house, let it go a bit and then realise you can't sell it for what you want and will only get more for it down the line if you get new kitchens and lavvies...

Doing that may give you one of the better properties on the street too.

It's just the same really.

Any indications of an "attitude change"?

Did you not see the various posts several pages back where it was "officially" declared by BRFC sources to the media that if there is no sale soon (end of Oct?) then in that case the Trust would once again become "active" as owners and there will be money made available to Sam in January?

I know that option has been discussed - and makes a whole lot of sense.

You can have a nice big house, let it go a bit and then realise you can't sell it for what you want and will only get more for it down the line if you get new kitchens and lavvies...

Doing that may give you one of the better properties on the street too.

It's just the same really.

It's going to take a substantial investment to really change our fortunes imo, especially with all these clubs around us (the likes of Stoke, Bolton and Sunderland) who can spend a lot of money compared to us.

Would the Trust be prepared to do that? I have my doubts.

...when people create metaphors for football clubs, why is it almost constantly a house?

A football club is not like a house.

What metaphor would you use? I think you should volunteer one, if you disagree with Nicko's offering.

There's a famous phrase that it's a lot easier to knock down a house than build one.

:P

I was thinking that that a football club is like a hockey club, but on a planet with no trees.

:wacko:

(Sorry, going through my mid afternoon silly phase)

It's going to take a substantial investment to really change our fortunes imo, especially with all these clubs around us (the likes of Stoke, Bolton and Sunderland) who can spend a lot of money compared to us.

Obviously we have no way of knowing the answer to that with any degree of certainty, but I honestly feel that if the sale has been aborted for the forseeable future the Trust will have little option but to invest to whatever level is necessary to save Rovers from the doldrums. And perhaps more importantly to them,, to make the club a more attractive proposition for any future selling attempt.

...when people create metaphors for football clubs, why is it almost constantly a house?

A football club is not like a house.

No, it's not like a house, because that would be a simile, as in a football club is like a house.

It's an often over used metaphor, but it does the job perfectly, i.e. conveying the concept of re-investment.

I do not think it would take as much as you think. Basically the foundations of a good side are alreay in place. The side is lacking somebody - if not two players - to put the ball in the net, a creative midfielder.

In goal Rovers are ok with Robinson, defence also ok, even if Nelson's injuries start to catch up with him, Rovers still have Jones to fill his spot. The side has both youth and experience. Players like Olsson, Jones, Kalinic, Nzonze,Samba, are good with regards to the youth players - who are gaining more experience. Pederson does give more than others sometimes think. Does not score enough in my opinion, sadly his free kicks are not improving (I would prefer Bentley back to take those)but is reliable and helps out in all most areas of the pitch. Add a decent striker or two and somebody to help create goals and score goals from midfield and Rovers could have a pretty decent team. Not for title winning but staying in the prem, finishing in the top 10.

Dunn although good is not reliable enough due to injuries - good player but injury prone. Andrews, Grella, Roberts time for them to move on. Givet offers experience as does Salgado (though his wages are too high) El Haj seems to have a new lease of life so far this season.

Published: Thursday, 21 October 2010

Takeover Talks Intensify

by Kamy

The battle to complete the takeover of Blackburn Rovers has reached fever pitch as the various interested parties step up their efforts.

Ahsan Ali Syed, who has been negotiating with the club for nearly two months, has made two substantial charitable donations. On Monday it was revealed that he had set up the Ahsan Ali Syed scholarship programme at Blackburn Cathedral, pledging a sum of £125,000 to fund four new one-year scholarships for female choristers for each of the next five years. Meanwhile, this morning it has been revealed that Mr Ali has made a further donation of £40,000 to the Nightsafe charity, who work with homeless young people.

The Rovers have said that they were not made aware of these donations and that it would not affect the takeover process. BRFCS believe that despite these donations, which will undoubtedly help the community of Blackburn and are wonderful gifts for the recipient organisations, Mr Ali's bid to purchase the club is "unlikely" to succeed. There appear to be a number of issues that Mr Ali has not been able to resolve in a satisfactory manner.

As reported on Saturday, BRFCS understand that VH Group of India are also involved in negotiations to purchase the club. The company has thus far declined to comment, but sources have indicated that they have moved ahead of other interested parties. It is also believed that representatives of VH Group have been in the UK for at least the last week.

Other parties also remain interested in purchasing the club. The Rovers board have conducted in-depth checks on all bidders in order to ascertain whether they are viable potential owners of the club. The last few months have been confusing for fans of the club, but it is important to point out that the club have very good process in place to vet any potential owners. The club have also given opportunities to all interested parties, this being the reason why so many different parties have been linked. Whilst this has caused confusion for fans, it has allowed the club the opportunity to try and find the best possible people to take the club forward.

The burning question, of course, is: will there be a takeover? The honest answer is that no one outside the club knows, and to claim otherwise would be to lie. However, this week a senior source at the club when asked this question answered that at present it is 70/30 in favour of a successful takeover happening!

Archived