BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Takeover: End game ?

Glenn

As the previous thread is close to 150 pages and the number of hidden posts is becoming an issue, it's time for a new one.

So, previously on "Rovers takeover saga". Ali Syed looked like the front runner, but seems to have fallen out of favour in preference of Venky's which despite sounding like an American diner chain, it's actually an Indian poultry company. The club has gone public saying the expect to come to an agreement with Venky's and Ali Syed has tried to get the fans on side by making donations to local charities and by offering shares to fans, should he take over and BRFCS's own crack "due diligence by google" team is having fun questioning Venky's money and motives, whilst Nicko seems to be enjoying using every chicken related pun possible. So, that's what you've missed so far.

The biggest shock though is Shilito made two posts today worthy of me voting them up and only one of which was funny!

Previous thread is http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php/topic/23622-rovers-takeover/page__pid__969265__st__2840#entry969265]here[/url]

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hughesy, yes, I do. For the simple reason that people seem to equate a billion people and see it in terms of the UK economy. It's not, most of the population lives in poverty. It's a third world market, albeit a growing one. People get paid in rupees and the sales are in rupees. For all it's faults the UK is still a highly profitable economy on a per capita basis.

Ten million pounds profit a year is nothing to sneeze at, and with the group's other businesses I am guessing that could be anywhere up to £40m or so, but the sales figures for the other businesses are harder to find. Could be higher profit margins in the bio technology stuff though. That is just speculation however, so no facts or figures to back it up.

Personally, I hope the VH deal is the one to go through, not Syed's. The VH group deal sounds exactly like what we want and what we could possibly hope for. The fact that they don't want to spend masses amount of money straight away and will seek to make the club a successful investment is a very positive thing for me. Spending tens of millions of dollars on players every season can't possibly be a smart idea if we want our club to be fairly self-sufficient or at least be stable financially.

We will definitely gain a large boost in popularity within the Indian community, that is a certainty. I come from Eastern Europe and when Abramovich took over at Chelsea, the vast majority of Russians/Ukrainians etc. became Chelsea supporters almost over night, even if casual ones. It will be similar for the Indian communities as well. Over here, the Indian migrants are strongly linked with others based on the different sects of their religion, it would be the same in India and other countries as well. Desai is a widely spread and well-respected last name in India as well. Once word gets out that a Desai family has taken over a club in the English Premier League, I am assured it will provide a huge boost in revenue and exposure for the club.

Anyone else think offering shares to the fans is a bit of a desperate tactic?? I know from the LT article that VH have fed us what we wanted to hear and tbh they have said the right things only to get a response from Ali a few hours later offering shares to fans.

I think WGA have not succeeded in their bid and have been out of the running for a while now even with their donations to local bodies

Interesting interview with Mrs VH. Good move to speak and put some things straight.

However the claim about the brother being a Rovers fan seems hard to take in.

And any reports that Kentaro are not in the thick of this are plain daft.

It always interests me when people try ever so hard to cover things up...

No mention of the bank loan question, although I still doubt they would need one. Maybe that question was not asked.

Our club has never been one to be "pressured" by the public, supporters or logic/rationale. We follow our own line of thinking and action independent of the "outside" world. That's what the last 10 years has taught us if anything. I doubt this final shot in the dark by Syed will sway things after the club gave a very supportive public acknowledgment to the VH take-over.

The fact that VH & Kentaro are in town on Saturday suggests it's too late for Syed.

He seems to be a blagger, abit flash with cash & that worries me about him. I think we would spend big & then he would leave us in a mess, abit like Pompey.

Stay clear of him please!!

Interesting interview with Mrs VH. Good move to speak and put some things straight.

No mention of the bank loan question, although I still doubt they would need one. Maybe that question was not asked.

Ii agree - good timing and a nice rounded interview - very different from Syeds where we were goign to get this and that, the VH group seems to have a more "realistic" approach lined up, and we have 5 million and potentially less or more, dependent on who the targets are, and what impact they will ahve on the tream (i.e if we are in a dog fight or not !)

I hope this get the deal pushed through before they watch us against Chelski though !

It`s taken Blackburn Rovers nearly two years to get this far in selling the club...& yet it takes Pompey a day to change owners 4 times! :blink:

I`m putting all my faith into Rovers doing things the right way. I hope they have done.

I have my reservations as to 'why' anybody with no association with the club or area or football would want to buy us.

Taken at face value based on the LT interview they come accross as having a decent plan and anyone that can provide us with around £10 million per annum would be welcome, however, there is definitely a 'but' somewhere in their proposal!

Nicko, you don't seem as bullish about this bid as you did initially...

I do not think any of us believe any of the brothers was a Rovers supporter. But if their prepared to buy the club, then they both 'become' Rover supporters. Kentaro would have to very much involved. I think it is obvious that VH are business people and not football people. Therefore would need help / guidance etc on football matters. Especially with regards to certain players. After all not being football people, they would have no idea about certain players if Sam, or any other manager went to them for money to buy a certain player. They would need imput from Kentaro.

One thing that would worry me a little, is the fact that the owners, when, not if, they do replace the manager, wont have any kind of footballing pedigree to call on. Hope they keep the right people around them for the times when they do need to call on experienced football people.

There's a difference between the company quoted on the Bombay SE and the private limited holding company. Only the figures for the publicly listed company are available and these are the news/commentary you are seeing against the ticker.

I posted this way back on the 23rd. There's no point in kicking the numbers around guys, they are meaningless in the context of the takeover funds.

They have loads of money, certainly enough to keep us happy for a few years. The likelihood of the money laying around on the kitchen table though as a pile of cash is silly, it will be invested somewhere. So it's quite normal for them to have used their bankers to shift funding around. Anything they may have borrowed will be secured against their own assets and will not impact on the club in anyway.

There will only be one number on the liabilities side of the club's balance sheet and that will be shareholders funds. Not that we will ever see the balance sheet. Now whether they secure their personal borrowing by using their share holding as collateral is anyone's guess. Under that scenario should they default then the bank would offer the shares for sale to other interested parties and we would end up with new owners or ask liquidators to breakup the club and sell the assets.

The LT interview was spot on for me though, she said all the right things and if sincere then I'm happy with the bid. If we keep focussing on nightmare scenarios we'll end up bonkers, sitting in the corner, rocking backwards and forwards and sucking our thumbs.

I've always believed that they were very ethical people so I am happy to accept their assurances that non of the above has happened so as I say, I for one am happy to welcome them as new owners. Onwards and upwards. :rover:

One thing that would worry me a little, is the fact that the owners, when, not if, they do replace the manager, wont have any kind of footballing pedigree to call on. Hope they keep the right people around them for the times when they do need to call on experienced football people.

...and a new chairman who doesn't persistently haemorrhage lengthy contracts out to underperforming dross.

*tin hat on*

[removed as not relevant]

It would not surprise me if a certain ex england manager, now at leicester becomes Rovers manager eventually. Though if Kentaro are very much involved and Rovers becomes a place where young talent is brought too. Arsene Wenger has always had a talent for spotting young players - but I believe, he hates Blackburn.

Nicko, you don't seem as bullish about this bid as you did initially...

I was bullish about spending ages trying to find these blighters and then finding them and working out their game...it doesn't mean I have fallen in love with them or suchlike.

There is a plan here that makes some sense. They seem clean. You give people a chance in my book.

But I am just a bit wary of 'I grew up a Rovers fan' stuff and this nervousness about the Kentaro link is rather odd.

There are some big decisions ahead here. Being taken over is one thing. Staying up and how you do it is another.

Got to say it is potentially far more interesting than the recent lull caused by no cash, few new players and bickering over poor old Sam having to put out a team with one hand tied behind his back.

I've become bored / frustrated / disillusioned by all this take over stuff recently but I did get d the LT last night..... Might be a taj unfair but it reminded me of the old saying 'never judge a book by it's cover'. I just hope appearences really are deceiving. :unsure:

Anyone else think offering shares to the fans is a bit of a desperate tactic?? I know from the LT article that VH have fed us what we wanted to hear and tbh they have said the right things only to get a response from Ali a few hours later offering shares to fans.

I think WGA have not succeeded in their bid and have been out of the running for a while now even with their donations to local bodies

If he is desperate. my question would be why does he want to own Rovers that badly? Genuine fan? Kudos of being the first Indian to own a PL club? Something else?

If he is desperate. my question would be why does he want to own Rovers that badly? Genuine fan? Kudos of being the first Indian to own a PL club? Something else?

might be cos it's cost him £250k to look a the books and £150k for the buttering up the bible bashers...would you just quietly go?

it seems most people have missed the back page article were it states "Mrs Desai confirmed that the purchase would be on an equity basis, dismissing claims that the acquisition would be funded by a bank"

Many of us are not from Lancashire and don't have access to the physical paper. We can only go by what is written in the online article.

Got to say it is potentially far more interesting than the recent lull caused by no cash, few new players and bickering over poor old Sam having to put out a team with one hand tied behind his back.

Now you are for it! You have just alienated about 50% of the members on here Alan....

..... Don't worry though it's only the ones who don't know a thing about football. ;)

Dont like the things i'm hearing or seeing plasterd on facebook, I.e.. Wanting Rovers to challenge the top 4.

We can easily end up looking rather silly.

If it's people who go on facebook don't worry they'll be used to it.

Archived