BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Ashes 2010 / 2011

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, I don't care who wins the ashes.

The Aussies have gone soft. Ponting, to me, is not a leader in the mold of Border, Waugh,or Taylor. If it were up to me, I'd bring back Warnie, just for his captaincy. (only half joking about Warnie).

There's no character to the team now that they've given Dougie the flick. A world top ten bowler and they leave him out! Yeah, he's been injured, but, so has Clarke the wuss.

I'll be on the golf course tomorrow, doing a theno.

Going to watch the first session at least tonight and maybe more, best chance of winning down under for a long, long time. I do think this will be a very close series hopefully England can get off to a good start this time. ;)

COME ON ENGLAND!!!

:o I don't beleive that Dave!

As I get up at 6am most days, inc today I'm not sure how I can make it till midnight to watch the first ball. But am going to give it a go.

Ozzie, this match is lacking in characters. Going back not to far, you had players like Gower and Mark Waugh, players with a graceful, effortless style. Gower, in particular, you'd pay to watch him train in the nets. Then there were players like Hughes, who'd engage the crowds, then Warne and McGrath who were simply brilliant at what they did.

I can't think that any of the two teams come close.

For me, the Aussie selectors have lost the plot. They should have been using the past two years to blood more young players.

At the end of the day, I suppose we are watching two of the lower graded Test nations.

Teams:

Australia 1 Simon Katich, 2 Shane Watson, 3 Ricky Ponting (capt), 4 Michael Clarke, 5 Michael Hussey, 6 Marcus North, 7 Brad Haddin (wk), 8 Mitchell Johnson, 9 Xavier Doherty, 10 Peter Siddle, 11 Ben Hilfenhaus.

England 1 Andrew Strauss (capt), 2 Alastair Cook, 3 Jonathan Trott, 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Paul Collingwood, 6 Ian Bell, 7 Matt Prior (wk), 8 Stuart Broad, 9 Graeme Swann, 10 James Anderson, 11 Steven Finn.

England win toss and elect to bat, on a good batting wicket by all accounts. Ponting confirms he would have batted first.

Englands ability to see off the new ball and early Ashes nerves will be the key to the test match as the pitch is likely to get more dangerous throughout the match.

A great chance for a win on Aussie soil, c'mon England! Shame as I cant afford Sky, that I cant watch any of it!

I haven't had a chance to contribute to this thread yet, but I'll cut'n'paste from an email I just sent to an old English colleague regarding the Ashes.

Re: Ashes. I think we'll get done 2-1. Our team is in a period of transition and our selectors still haven't grasped this fact yet, although Greg Chappell is now back in charge so things may help. He's the one who blooded Steve Waugh back in 1986 and he put Ganguly's et al noses out of joint in India when he promoted young players...India is now reaping the benefit. Our bowling attack is still inconsistent and injury prone, and none of our top-6 batsman look like they'll destroy your bowlers.

In other words, what Dave Birch said.

Archived