BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v West Brom

cruz

I was surpised by Jermaine Jones stature, he was a lot smaller than I though he would be. Conversely, I'd forgot how big Nzonzi is.

Finally their Olsson (CH) was even bigger. Strange day for player size/expectations for me then.

And what happended to the flags, I didn't see any in the DE?

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny this , no mention has been given to the penalty we should have had on Roberts where he was held then had his shoulder pulled and to be fair to Roberts he did try to stay on his feet also and get the ball but was prevented - maybe not as clear cut but in the realms of things for what penalties are given for nowadays was certainly a definite one.

That "should've been" penalty incident on Roberts was a lot more clear-cut and easy for the ref to decide than the one WBA should have had. I am sure the ref knew it as well and was just evening things up because he knew he had got it wrong in the first incident (had the chance to look at it again at half time).

That "should've been" penalty incident on Roberts was a lot more clear-cut and easy for the ref to decide than the one WBA should have had. I am sure the ref knew it as well and was just evening things up because he knew he had got it wrong in the first incident (had the chance to look at it again at half time).

Erm, Roberts didn't come on until middway through the second half... I do agree though, Roberts should have had a pen as well. They virtually wrestled him away from the ball.

By clear cut I meant in his (ref) vision Fife

And both where in the 2nd half :lol:

After a typically slow start for the first ten minutes I thought we played some good, fluid football and built on the performance from the Liverpool game. The formation was a clear 4-1-3-2 with the back four and JJ, who had a solid debut I thought, sitting just in front of the back four. I liked the way we moved the ball around at times and how we still remained direct despite more play on the floor, West Brom kept the ball well but a lot of their play was sideways and back whereas we produced much more forward thinking and dangerous passing moves. The three more advanced midfielders in Dunn, Holiett & Pedersen seemed to inter-change positions quite a lot although it was clear Dunn was trying to play just behind the two strikers and Holiett out on the right flank with Pedersen just drifting in a central-left midfield area. People are quick to criticise Pedersen, but I don't think his performance was has bad as some people make out. Okay there was the poor dwelling on the ball early on which could have cost us a goal but bar that I thought he played okay. All players give the ball away at some point, I just think people notice it more when it's Pedersen. His set-pieces where decent I thought, even his long-throws seemed to cause problems. He also played a part in the second goal, which people seemingly overlook. Not Pedersen's greatest games but he's been one of our best players this season and his work-rate and less noticeable defensive work allowed the players further forward to shine.

The two standout performances for me where the stars from the half-time VT, Olsson & Holiett. Both were fantastic and covered a lot of ground and gave the team a lot of pace and energy. Exciting to see these youngsters playing so well and being given a good run in the team. Thought there was a promising partnership between Kalinic & Santa Cruz upfront, they linked up well at times and looked like they could become a potent a strike force. Robbo again as he so often does put in a couple of world-class saves at crucial times to keep it at 2-0. Also a little help from Clattenberg on the should have been penalty decision, although I think it's more out of pure incompetence than anything else.

Overall things are looking bright, Steve Kean has proved in his short time in charge that it is possible for us to play an attacking brand of football and still win. Going to buy tickets for the Wigan game later this week, not been to many away games recently but our recent home performances and the emergence of Olsson & Holiett are definitely something to get excited about.

Having watched a replay (albeit shortened) from Sky at lunchtime, I watched Pedersen and how he played. He played a deeper role on the left and did it pretty well. He was, at times, passing the ball to Tugay's invisible mate but the majority of the time played pretty well. In actual fact, there wasn't really a poor performer from the start.

Scores in todays Guardian-

Rovers

Robbo- 6.9

Salgado-5.6

Samba-6

Givet-5.7

Ollson-6

Hoilett-6

Dunn-5

Jones-5.3

Pedersen-5

Kalinic-4.8

Santa Cruz-5.4

WBA

Myhill-9.2

Jara-7

Tamas-7

Ollson-9.4

Cech-8.5

Brunt-7.5

Mulumbu-7.5

Scharner-7.5

Thomas-7.5

Morrison-5.5

Odemwingie-7.5

Yeah I know ,how does that work ! I can only think that fans can vote on line. The reporter gave Hoilett M.O.M. so something's not right.

He was terrible. I'm a pederson fan and think he brings a lot to the team but if you think he was anything beyond hopeless yesterday then I'm surprised. When he came to applaud the riverside after full time he even shrugged apologetically and made out he'd had one of those days. Good team performance though with olsson and hoilett making a big difference to the way we go at teams. Only thing with hoilett playing though is that he pushes on as asked which leaves salgado very exposed and one on one at times against pace. Maybe an area we need to look at in the summer. Liked the look of jones and think he'll be a big asset to us for the remainder of the season although the two footed lunge in front of the riverside was crazy and lunged in again for the pen that wasn't. Hopefully he was just eager to please on his debut and a bit fired up. Great performances from the big lads at the back and the two up top. Dunn looked lively also and always looked to get on the ball. Good to see nzonzi back but I personally don't think he's the player many think he is and will be understudy to jones I expect. Exciting times at the moment with winnable games coming up. Europe here we come!

People are quick to criticise Pedersen, but I don't think his performance was has bad as some people make out. Okay there was the poor dwelling on the ball early on which could have cost us a goal but bar that I thought he played okay. All players give the ball away at some point, I just think people notice it more when it's Pedersen. His set-pieces where decent I thought, even his long-throws seemed to cause problems. He also played a part in the second goal, which people seemingly overlook. Not Pedersen's greatest games but he's been one of our best players this season and his work-rate and less noticeable defensive work allowed the players further forward to shine.

Fair comment Grizfoot. I think Rmum sits in the JW Lower not too far from where I sit so maybe it's the view from there or that everyone else suffers from Left Winger Syndrome, a condition many spectators at Ewood have suffered from for many years resulting in dishing out abuse to Rovers' left sided players such as Wilcox and MGP, he might have not been great going forwards yesterday but he puts in a hell of a shift doing covering. That allows Olsson (when he's playing left back like yesterday) to bomb forward - if there was no-one covering there'd be a big gap for the opposition to exploit.

Edit - and by a nice coincidence Andy3809's post above mentions exactly that happening on the right.

Covering for others and tracking runs ect is the absolute minimum for a professional player. As is acting on instruction. If peds was asked to cover olsson when he bombs on then he does it. He still had a really bad game regardless. Everytime he has a poor game people defend him by saying he covered well and put in a shift. Any player in the top 3 divisions that were fit enough could have done that yesterday if asked.

Covering for others and tracking runs ect is the absolute minimum for a professional player. As is acting on instruction. If peds was asked to cover olsson when he bombs on then he does it. He still had a really bad game regardless. Everytime he has a poor game people defend him by saying he covered well and put in a shift. Any player in the top 3 divisions that were fit enough could have done that yesterday if asked.

Could have.

A lot don't.

I think that hoilett had been asked to play upfield and pushed onto the full backs shoulder. Salgado isn't the full back to continually overlap where as olsson is hence peds having to be aware and fill in for him when he go's. That is why thomas got some joy as if jones couldn't sweep across to the right then he was left one on one. And if there is any grass between a fullback and the touchline then its as good as a race. Knock it past and the quickest wins.

Fair comment Grizfoot. I think Rmum sits in the JW Lower not too far from where I sit so maybe it's the view from there or that everyone else suffers from Left Winger Syndrome, a condition many spectators at Ewood have suffered from for many years resulting in dishing out abuse to Rovers' left sided players such as Wilcox and MGP, he might have not been great going forwards yesterday but he puts in a hell of a shift doing covering. That allows Olsson (when he's playing left back like yesterday) to bomb forward - if there was no-one covering there'd be a big gap for the opposition to exploit.

Edit - and by a nice coincidence Andy3809's post above mentions exactly that happening on the right.

I was agree that, Neil. I noticed Morten clearly covering Martin's forward runs from my seat in the JWL. My granddaughter sat with me after a spell in the BE and she said she felt that you get a much better view of the game from the JWL.

Morten did make a few mistakes yesterday, but I think he was quite shaken by the early one and his confidence was low from that, and then there was the later mistake that Robbo shouted at him about.

• Backroom

I think that hoilett had been asked to play upfield and pushed onto the full backs shoulder. Salgado isn't the full back to continually overlap where as olsson is hence peds having to be aware and fill in for him when he go's. That is why thomas got some joy as if jones couldn't sweep across to the right then he was left one on one. And if there is any grass between a fullback and the touchline then its as good as a race. Knock it past and the quickest wins.

That's kind of basic positioning though, isn't it? If the left-back overlaps the left winger would almost always cover his run to avoid a gap appearing. If MGP wasn't doing that he would have consciously gone elsewhere knowing there was a gap behind him waiting to be exploited.

They were saying it equalled the record of 21 before Hanley and Roberts came on so it must have reached 23.

Heard on the radio that when Tchoyi came on for WBA the new record of 22 different nations represented on the pitch in one game had been made.

I have been a bit pedantic and counted up only 21. That is if BBC are correct in that WBA made only two substitutions.

The nations are:-

England.....Robinson, Dunn, Thomas

Scotland...Hanley, Morrison

Wales......Myhill

N Ireland...Brunt

Norway...Pedersen

Sweden..Olsson and Olsson

France..Givet, Nzonzi

Austria..Scharner

Spain....Salgado

Romania..Tamas

Slovakia...Cech

Croatia..Kalinic

Czech Rep...Bednar

Canada..Hoilett

USA......J Jones

Chile...Jara

Paraguay..Santa Cruz

Grenada..Roberts

Congo..Samba, Mulumbu

Nigeria..Odemwingie

Cameroon..Tchoyi

Now; if we had brought on Benjani instead of Nzonzi and Andrews had started instead of Dunn and Nelsen had been on the bench and come on instead of Hanley.........................

Archived