Photo
- - - - -

Calling all cyclists

• This topic is locked This topic is locked (or you're not logged in)
344 replies to this topic

#41 Ricky

Ricky

Poker Star !

• Backroom Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8959 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:39 AM

Managed to get up onto the top of hergest ridge (any mike oldfield fans will know of it) a few times this year, just trying to increase the distance each time.

Currently riding a Carrera Fury. Bought it as it was the best reviewed mtb on bike radar within my budget. Really liking the look of the 2011 boardman pro though. Just wish my employer offered the halfords scheme as I could get it for just over 500 instead of 1000 then.
<a href='http://www.thepinkvilla.com/'>The Pink Villa</a>

#42 Paul

Paul

World Cup

• Backroom Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14665 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:16 AM

Mixed views out there on Boardman cycles. Plenty of folk with good experience but also some horror stories. Cycle club friend of mine has one which has been no end of trouble.

Check some cycling forums for the best opinions.

Taking a break for a while..................................................... 

#43 RovertheHill

RovertheHill

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2084 posts
  • Xbox Gamer Tag:Ade67
  • Twitter: @ade__h

• ST Block: N07

Posted 02 July 2011 - 14:55 PM

Done 7500 miles on my Boardman Team Carbon. Great bike for the money.
---------------------------------------------------------

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." - Winston Churchill
What a fool believes, he sees
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see

#44 Ricky

Ricky

Poker Star !

• Backroom Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8959 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 20:34 PM

I think a lot of the issues are down to halfords Paul.

I've seen some awful set ups come out of halfords. You can't beat the spec of the boardman for the price. Also now running a 20 speed gearing system. Looks like it the future in mtb.

#45 colin

colin

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8201 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 23:41 PM

I'm having a few problems with my rear tyre, had 3 punctures this year. Is that normal?

Got stuck in Preston on Monday had no repair kit.

Three punctures in a year? I pitched up at work about a year with both tubes punctured, then the back one went on the way home!

You can also buy kevlar strips (or other material) which fit inside the tyre between it and the inner tube. I've not had a puncture since putting them in (touching wood now.)

A tip I was given is once a week turn the bike over and check the tyres for bits if glass, stone & metal embedded in them. Flick then out with a small screwdriver. It takes five minutes but saves them working their way towards the inner tube.

30 years supporting Rovers. All gone now.

#46 Paul

Paul

World Cup

• Backroom Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14665 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:48 AM

I think a lot of the issues are down to halfords Paul.

I've seen some awful set ups come out of halfords. You can't beat the spec of the boardman for the price. Also now running a 20 speed gearing system. Looks like it the future in mtb.

Yes I think that's very true. Problem is that once purchased it takes a bit of courage to pop into the local bike shop and ask them to sort out the Halfords mess!!!!

Beautiful morning here, really looking forward to today's club run. Moved myself up to the A group last week. First ride and we head off to Bowland Knotts - google it - I had no idea what this meant. Came close to death on the ascent from the Lancashire side but a fabulous descent into Settle on the Yorkshire side.

Ricky I'd no idea Hergest Ridge existed till you posted it!! Do you MTB up there?

#47 SAS

SAS

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4420 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:51 AM

Three punctures in a year? I pitched up at work about a year with both tubes punctured, then the back one went on the way home!

You can also buy kevlar strips (or other material) which fit inside the tyre between it and the inner tube. I've not had a puncture since putting them in (touching wood now.)

A tip I was given is once a week turn the bike over and check the tyres for bits if glass, stone & metal embedded in them. Flick then out with a small screwdriver. It takes five minutes but saves them working their way towards the inner tube.

Those strips sound like a good idea, does it not affect the performance though?

I've only been out a dozen times and haven't had the confidence to complete a serious ride.

#48 Ricky

Ricky

Poker Star !

• Backroom Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8959 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:53 AM

Ricky I'd no idea Hergest Ridge existed till you posted it!! Do you MTB up there?

I do indeed Paul. It's part of Offas Dyke and the views are absolutely stunning from up there. Really impressive.

I'll have to take some pics next time

#49 colin

colin

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8201 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 22:13 PM

Those strips sound like a good idea, does it not affect the performance though?

SAS, I don't think so, the strips sit between the tyre & the inner tube, so I'm thinking that they may just add a couple of grams to the weight of the bike. I can't see any reason why they should affect performance (apart from preventing punctures - which must be a plus.)

#50 RovertheHill

RovertheHill

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2084 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:04 PM

Yes I think that's very true. Problem is that once purchased it takes a bit of courage to pop into the local bike shop and ask them to sort out the Halfords mess!!!!

Beautiful morning here, really looking forward to today's club run. Moved myself up to the A group last week. First ride and we head off to Bowland Knotts - google it - I had no idea what this meant. Came close to death on the ascent from the Lancashire side but a fabulous descent into Settle on the Yorkshire side.

Which club Paul - wondering if I may have seen you? Three of us were out yesterday - started in Barley then up Waddington Fell, over to Dunsop Bridge, Longridge, Clitheroe and back over the Nick o' Pendle to the Barley picnic site. Lovely route

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." - Winston Churchill

#51 Paul

Paul

World Cup

• Backroom Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14665 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 13:46 PM

Which club Paul - wondering if I may have seen you? Three of us were out yesterday - started in Barley then up Waddington Fell, over to Dunsop Bridge, Longridge, Clitheroe and back over the Nick o' Pendle to the Barley picnic site. Lovely route

I'm in Ribble Valley CRC, mainly white tops with red and blue trim. We had four groups out yesterday. The A group went off on a 100 miler round Ribblehead etc. I bottled out of that and went with the B group - Preston, Chaigley, Waddy, Bolton by Bowland, Tosside for lunch, Dunsop Bridge, Chipping, Longridge, Preston. If you saw us we were a group of between 6 and 9 (some of the ladies took shortcuts at various points) and were all wearing club shirts except one guy in blue. I was on a black and green Dolan.

Going to Denthead next Sunday, one of my favourite rides. Should be fun!

#52 RovertheHill

RovertheHill

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2084 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 14:47 PM

I'm in Ribble Valley CRC, mainly white tops with red and blue trim. We had four groups out yesterday. The A group went off on a 100 miler round Ribblehead etc. I bottled out of that and went with the B group - Preston, Chaigley, Waddy, Bolton by Bowland, Tosside for lunch, Dunsop Bridge, Chipping, Longridge, Preston. If you saw us we were a group of between 6 and 9 (some of the ladies took shortcuts at various points) and were all wearing club shirts except one guy in blue. I was on a black and green Dolan.

Going to Denthead next Sunday, one of my favourite rides. Should be fun!

Definitely saw some Ribble Valley guys but can't remember where it was - we were 3 from North Cheshire Clarion in Blue with yellow and Black chequered arms

#53 JC4LAB

JC4LAB

Premier League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:16 AM

Repeat Punctures prob means the nail or thorn is still there.(or a spoke is protruding.).Run your thumb around the inside of the tyre to check for anything sharp.Also Check the rubberband that covers your spokes on the inside is doing its job..Swalbe Marathon Plus are one of the best Puncture resistant tyres you can get..Also you can get slime filled self sealing inners tubes from places like halfords.that will help..

As stated dont ride on soft tyre and check if you have ridden for a while.It wont help either if your tyre is simply just too worn and thin

Edited by JC4LAB, 05 July 2011 - 09:19 AM.

#54 JC4LAB

JC4LAB

Premier League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 14:48 PM

http://www.goskyride...urn-with-Darwen
Theres a campaign at the moment to get everyone cycling... You dont need to be roadclub standard ..These rides are aimed those who like short rides and havent been on a bike for a while and fancy getting back into it

#55 Paul

Paul

World Cup

• Backroom Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14665 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:18 AM

Next Sunday, July 31st, the Ironman triathlon is based at Anderton with the cycling element following local roads in the area. Last year the route was approx 38 miles and the competitors did two full and one part circuit to make the distance.

As riders approach a junction the police stop the traffic to allow the riders through without stopping. It's a really good feeling to be able to sweep along without having to worry about traffic at junctions - not that I would dream of suggesting anyone should try to follow the same route as the triathletes!!!

Nearest point to Blackburn for the route us where the A675 Belmont road meets the A674 at Hoghton Arms roundabout. Riders will be coming from Abbey Village on A675 towards Wheelton / Chorley on A674.

It's fun to watch as some of the competitors are very good.......even more fun to join in for a circuit or two.

#56 stuwilky

stuwilky

Big Gay Bear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6309 posts

• ST Block: NO1

Posted 24 July 2011 - 22:43 PM

Having bottled the C2C last year (due to 'domestic issues' - code name for breaking up!) Im toying with the idea again, possibly early next sping. Got the tax dodge cycle scheme at work and am looking for something a little better than my Ridgeback MX2. Budget isnt massive, even with the tax saving! Any recommendations of either models, or what not to go for and what not. Will be used for my daily commute of 6.5 miles each way as well as the odd long ride other times. Most cycling is road or cycle paths.
INCE OUT

#57 Paul

Paul

World Cup

• Backroom Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14665 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:48 AM

Having bottled the C2C last year (due to 'domestic issues' - code name for breaking up!) Im toying with the idea again, possibly early next sping. Got the tax dodge cycle scheme at work and am looking for something a little better than my Ridgeback MX2. Budget isnt massive, even with the tax saving! Any recommendations of either models, or what not to go for and what not. Will be used for my daily commute of 6.5 miles each way as well as the odd long ride other times. Most cycling is road or cycle paths.

What you have is a mountain bike, I never understand why people ride MTBs on the road, especially with those tyres. For what you describe I would look to buy a hybrid or city bike with road tyres. I am a big fan of Marin cycles think they build some of the best hybrids on the market, Marin tend to call these "city" bikes. I have had two San Rafael's http://www.marin.co.....php?ModNo=11SR both were excellent and sadly both were stolen. I replaced the tyres with something a lot smoother immediately as the difference in ease and speed is significant. Keep a decent set of road tyres properly inflated (buy a track pump) and punctures will be a thing of the past.

I rode the C2C on a San Raf twice, took two days each time, only had to walk at one point - there is a short section, 500 metre, which is the steepest paved incline in the UK and I'm not a sadist. I don't know many cycle brands / models but I'm certain the Marin San Raf will do what you need. I'd buy another tomorrow if i was doing that type of riding.

You should be able to pick up a San Raf for £450-£500 perhaps less. Did you realise bike prices drop significantly each autumn. The 2012 models come available in the autumn and there are often good deals to be had on the current year models if you shop around.

Only other point is suspension, though the San Raf has this I'm not a big fan. It certainly works well on Marin cycles but will absorb some of the energy / effort you are looking to put into riding. Suspension on low cost cycles, IMV, is a waste of money.

PS - if you have the original tyres on your Ridgeback changing them will make a huge difference.

Edited by Paul, 25 July 2011 - 07:53 AM.

#58 Paul

Paul

World Cup

• Backroom Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14665 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:15 AM

Just one other thought. Don't underestimate how important bike "fit" is. I like Marins because they tend to fit my build very well, it may be another brand will fit you better. Provided you buy a good brand the fit and comfort is more important than the manufacturer. Correct bike set up and "fit" is often ignored and is very important.

Go to http://www.cyclechat.net/ for loads of discussion and info on all matters cycling

Edited by Paul, 25 July 2011 - 08:53 AM.

#59 stuwilky

stuwilky

Big Gay Bear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6309 posts

• ST Block: NO1

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:27 AM

There was, surpringly, logic in my choice of bike and tyre - although it was probably flawed. At the time I was looking to loose some serious weight, but didnt have the time to exercise enough so commuting on a bike with mountain tyres used more energy than road tyres. It also allowed me to investigate moutain biking! I dont think I'll be pursuing that. (I managed to knock 7 stone off in 6 months though!)

Thanks for the recommendation, Im going to have a nosy round a few places, but it would help if I had a least a vague idea of what I was looking for. Will visit that site.

Cheers
INCE OUT

#60 colin

colin

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8201 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 22:24 PM

Will be used for my daily commute of 6.5 miles each way as well as the odd long ride other times. Most cycling is road or cycle paths.

I've been more than happy with a Trek Navigator equipped here

OK, it's not exactly a sexy beast and if you have issues with "looking stylish" then it's probably not the bike for you.

You get the full mudguards and luggage rack in the deal. (You'll pay a few quid more for them as extras) The former because I don't want to arrive at the end of my commute looking like I have severe digestion problems. The latter is so much better than a pack over the back. It also has a stand which I thought was a bit wussy, but after a couple of weeks I really appreciated its simplicity and usefullness.

There you go, just my recommendation for what it's worth.

Edited by colin, 25 July 2011 - 22:28 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Important Legal Information

All content is copyright of its respective posters and may not be representative of the views of BRFCS Ltd, its staff, volunteers, members, sponsors or advertisers. Content on the public forums of this site is not pre-moderated. If you feel that any content is defamatory or constitutes harassment, or that it contravenes the site posting guidelines, or that it may result in the site or its owners, volunteers, users or members facing legal action, you should alert BRFCS immediately either by using the REPORT function available on every post or by sending an email to admin@brfcs.com with details of the content in question.

Note that this site uses cookies. As the site does not function without cookies, any use of the site implies consent for us to use them. Under new European law, BRFCS is required to disclose how these cookies are used. Please see our privacy policy for more information.

BRFCS Ltd. Registered in England and Wales under company registration number 07315781.