BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

I recollect Paul inflating his to 110 ppsi and thinking "How the heck does he do that?"

Paul has a track pump! :)Wiggle

The great benefit of a track pump is within 1-2 minutes you can correctly inflate your tyres with minimal effort. Buy one with a pressure gauge. No need to spend a fortune just find a decent bike shop and buy something robust looking. I guess Evans would be a good place to start. It's almost impossible to get these sort of pressures with a hand pump.

Colin, everything you say is correct. Currently I ride on Continental Super Sport inflated to 8 bar (plus an extra push to allow for the air that comes out when you remove the thing that attaches to the valve). 8 bar = 116ppsi, my cycle shop says it should be 7 bar (just over 100ppsi). Quality tyres, correctly inflated, with a puncture strip are almost indestructable. I haven't had a p******e for over 7 years - so this morning I'll have several!! Ive laso had Schwalbe Marathon, excellent tyre, and Gatorskin, another good one.

Always buy the best quality tyre you can afford. I think the most I've sent has been about £60 for a pair.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...11__CK12_14_15_

After cavendish wins at the world champs, the BBC have done on article on how they believe interest and participation will increase.

Excellent for the sport. Out of interest is anyone involved in any clubs or races?

Also what speed do you train/race at.

I ride with a club. On a Sunday we'd do between 70-100 miles at an average of around 14-15mph. It's a social thing, just a nice ride. The club does have a race section, hill climb etc but I never compete - I just like to ride.

I don't train. My speed depends on what I'm doing. I commute 150-200 miles a week:

Commute average around 18/19mph with long sections at 23/24mph (can't do this sort of speed all day!)

Club stuff - 14/15 mph

Touring - 12/13mph

Edited by Paul

I'm afraid I can't keep up with you guys. I plod along at 10/12mph despite my nice Paul Hewitt tourer. Just ride for fun really, with no ambitions to race or to greatly increase my speed. i would like to ride with others but I seem to be caught between club rides for which I'm too slow and other fun rides which aren't long or fast enough.

Paul has a track pump! :)Wiggle

The great benefit of a track pump is within 1-2 minutes you can correctly inflate your tyres with minimal effort. Buy one with a pressure gauge. No need to spend a fortune just find a decent bike shop and buy something robust looking. I guess Evans would be a good place to start. It's almost impossible to get these sort of pressures with a hand pump.

Colin, everything you say is correct. Currently I ride on Continental Super Sport inflated to 8 bar (plus an extra push to allow for the air that comes out when you remove the thing that attaches to the valve). 8 bar = 116ppsi, my cycle shop says it should be 7 bar (just over 100ppsi). Quality tyres, correctly inflated, with a puncture strip are almost indestructable. I haven't had a p******e for over 7 years - so this morning I'll have several!! Ive laso had Schwalbe Marathon, excellent tyre, and Gatorskin, another good one.

Always buy the best quality tyre you can afford. I think the most I've sent has been about £60 for a pair.

I ride with a club. On a Sunday we'd do between 70-100 miles at an average of around 14-15mph. It's a social thing, just a nice ride. The club does have a race section, hill climb etc but I never compete - I just like to ride.

I don't train. My speed depends on what I'm doing. I commute 150-200 miles a week:

Commute average around 18/19mph with long sections at 23/24mph (can't do this sort of speed all day!)

Club stuff - 14/15 mph

Touring - 12/13mph

Must agree with Paul here regarding a track pump, much less effort to get up to 100psi+, money well spent. Also, spend as much as you can on tyres, I'm running Schwalbe Ultremo ZX on the roadie, although I did have a puncture last week, own fault for riding in the dark! I've also got Schwalbe on the MTB, running tubeless, not cheap but you get what you pay for. As regards club rides, more of a social rider myself, depends on the mood at the time, although living on the IoM there are some serious riders out and about at times! Why not try a Sportive, 100km is a great target to work towards?

I'm only training for mid distance 40km races in a triathlon.

Did my first Olympic 40km and clocked 1 hour 13 which I was mightily impressed with after a 1.5 k swim and before a 10km run so it's all about pacing yourself and not going flat out in any discipline.

I'm afraid I can't keep up with you guys. I plod along at 10/12mph despite my nice Paul Hewitt tourer. Just ride for fun really, with no ambitions to race or to greatly increase my speed. i would like to ride with others but I seem to be caught between club rides for which I'm too slow and other fun rides which aren't long or fast enough.

Like you I only ride for fun but have been able to increase my speed and stamina over the years. My "enforced" commuting of the last three months has helped a lot and I've lost 3kg!!!

Riding with others and finding the right group is a common problem. I had it myself. On a group ride by staying tucked into the middle of the group - avoid the back - your speed will increase quite easily through the drafting effect or you will go further for less effort. Generally the effect of group riding is to save about 30% of the physical effort which translates to further, faster or both.

It took me years to find a club because of similar feelings. The trick is to find the right club and progress naturally. I ride with Ribble Valley, though haven't been recently, who meet at Preston College. On a Sunday there are usually three groups:

A group - no prisoners taken and one is expected to keep up. About 18mph and serious hills. They will wait for you but once caught up it's straight off again

B group - always waits for stragglers. 12-14mph depending on group make up, who leads and route. Goes round most serious hills!!!

Steadies - polite reference for the slowest group. Never been with them but understand it's not too arduous.

I'm sure you would find RVRC very welcoming and you would not be embarrassed. Start with the Steadies and see how it goes. I'm trying hard to move up from B to A but I get slaughtered on some of the hills as I'm not a great climber. My problem is I ride faster than the B group but can only just keep in touch with the A.

Having said that there are riders 20 years my senior in the B group who could wipe the floor with all of us if they chose to. Quite remarkable. Several think nothing of 150 miles plus!!!

There are a lot of women riders in the B and Steady groups which helps keep it under control!

Edited by Paul

I'm only training for mid distance 40km races in a triathlon.

Did my first Olympic 40km and clocked 1 hour 13 which I was mightily impressed with

..............and so am I. What was the average about 33kph?

although living on the IoM there are some serious riders out and about at times!

Do you run out of roads eventually?

Just inherited this bike below, which is in need of renovation. IT is a Dawes hand built in Preston about 30 years ago I beleive. Is it any good?

267875_10150340918865898_594900897_9923740_6516601_n.jpg

I have had neither the time or ability to do anything with this bike. If anybody is interested in having it for free, please feel free to PM me and you can collect it from me in Chorley.

GONE NOW, Thanks.

Edited by Ozz

• 4 weeks later...

Colin, everything you say is correct. Currently I ride on Continental Super Sport inflated to 8 bar (plus an extra push to allow for the air that comes out when you remove the thing that attaches to the valve). 8 bar = 116ppsi, my cycle shop says it should be 7 bar (just over 100ppsi). Quality tyres, correctly inflated, with a puncture strip are almost indestructable. I haven't had a p******e for over 7 years - so this morning I'll have several!! Ive also had Schwalbe Marathon, excellent tyre, and Gatorskin, another good one.

Heavens knows how you get to 110ppsi! I've inflated with a metal foot pump designed for a car. I'm physically unable to get the pressure beyond about 85 ppsi. After that the blighter simply refuses to yeild to my 60kg/9.5 stone frame. Maybe I should try some more with a bucket of water in each hand!

The tyres are rock hard though. Just for information - my car tyres are at 30ppsi. The bike tyres should be at 100ppsi. A bit scary.

Colin I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs here but have you checked the recommended pressure? My tyres are designed to run at 100ppsi or more. On the tyre side wall there should be a range of pressures from low to high that Schwalbe recommend. If you can't inflate above 85 it's probably the maximum the tyre can take.

Don't forget your car tyres are an entirely different design

Paul,

The Schwalbe Marathons recommended pressure on the side is 100ppsi. Previous tyres have been 60ppsi which I've been able to measure using a car tyre pressure gauge which goes up to 50ppsi. I went up to 50 & then added some more.....

I've now got them up to about 85 ppsi, using a newly acquired bike tyre pressure gauge and they feel like rocks. I'm not actually physically capable of getting them up to 100ppsi.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's commmute.

• 7 months later...

I'm thinking about buying a new road bike. The one that's grabbed me most is the Cannondale Caad8 Tiagra (budget is about £1,000)

Only thing is, I'm in my 50's and 15 stone. How is the gearing for getting up hills?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

EDIT Am riding a hybrid and never had a proper road bike, so never been an issue before.

Edited by david_daft

First you might like to read this link which is a good review of many bikes in and around your budget http://m.bikeradar.com/gear/article/best-road-bikes-under-1000-29719/

I've never ridden Cannondale but know they have a great reputation. The bike you're interested in has very good reviews. If you live in Blackburn I suggest a visit to Ewood Bikes. Ian and his guys are really good and will guide you to the right decision. They stock Cannondale. You might pay a touch more but the advice and support is worth every extra penny.

The key is to work out what you want to achieve and find a good shop to give the right advice. A good, local independent cycle shop is a mine if information. Most cyclists will refer to their LBS - Local Bike Shop - important to support these guys.

As regards the gearing it really depends on the climbing you wish to do. If you're new to road bikes you might consider a triple instead of this double. The double will make you a better rider overall but the triple will get you up anything.

My Dolan is 50/34 and 11/26 and you'll be on 50/34 and 12/28. I think I'd be happy with that.

If you can find another £200 you could get a Dolan Dual with a carbon frame http://www.dolan-bikes.com/road-bikes/Carbon/Sram%20Op/Dual%20Road%20Bike?product_id=447

I have the top one but the frame is the same. I can thoroughly recommend the bike. Comfy, fast, absorbs a lot of road shock and is very versatile. I use mine to commute, tour, club rides and sportives. One unusual feature for a carbon frame is it will take a rack and panniers.

Edited by Paul

Anyone do the Great Manchester Cycle yesterday? Fantastic event.

Unfortunately not. I have been in Hay-on-Wye for the last 10 days, partly for the book festival but I also took my bike and have enjoyed some fantastic riding in the borders - I can highly recommend the area.

David, I see you are in Penwortham. If you haven't already, you might want to have a look at Broadgate Cycles in Kingsfold as well. They have expanded fairly recently and have a decent range of bikes.

I am 59 and also 15 stone (was 17 stone in January!) and I have improved significantly just by getting a decent bike and getting out more often. The loss of two stone has also made a noticeable difference although some of that was helped by the cycling. I have a Hewitt Cheviot tourer, so somewhat heavier than a £1K road bike will be and also lower geared but have upped my average riding speed from 10mph to 12-13mph. Should a tourer be a possibility for you and you can stretch to a little bit more budget then I cannot recommend Paul Hewitt too highly and he's only in Leyland. Even if you don't want one of his bikes his bike measurement service is £50 very well spent - he will find your perfect riding position. The service is free if you buy one of his bikes.

Unfortunately not. I have been in Hay-on-Wye for the last 10 days, partly for the book festival but I also took my bike and have enjoyed some fantastic riding in the borders - I can highly recommend the area.

David, I see you are in Penwortham. If you haven't already, you might want to have a look at Broadgate Cycles in Kingsfold as well. They have expanded fairly recently and have a decent range of bikes.

I am 59 and also 15 stone (was 17 stone in January!) and I have improved significantly just by getting a decent bike and getting out more often. The loss of two stone has also made a noticeable difference although some of that was helped by the cycling. I have a Hewitt Cheviot tourer, so somewhat heavier than a £1K road bike will be and also lower geared but have upped my average riding speed from 10mph to 12-13mph. Should a tourer be a possibility for you and you can stretch to a little bit more budget then I cannot recommend Paul Hewitt too highly and he's only in Leyland. Even if you don't want one of his bikes his bike measurement service is £50 very well spent - he will find your perfect riding position. The service is free if you buy one of his bikes.

Thanks O2G, got my heart set on a road bike, can use my hybrid for touring. Got my hybrid from Broadgate cycles, nice people but been really naffed off with them since, took them 7 days to fix my buckled wheel last week.

Really fancy the Cube Attempt, http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-cube-bikes-attempt-triple-11-43155

Can't work out if I can get it in triple or not, yet.

Thanks for your help.

We're going to Melrose for the Borders Book Festival on June 11th. I plan to get the train to somewhere nearby and cycle some of the way.

David I've heard good reports of Broadgate as well, you may just have been unlucky?

At the risk of starting to sound like I know what I'm talking about, its more I know where to look, the Attempt was re-branded as the Peloton for 2012. http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/2012-cube-peloton.86372/

The link you posted said it was available as a triple. For real opinions on this, any other bike and a wealth of advice have a browse on http://www.cyclechat.net/. People on here really know their stuff and are more than willing to share that knowledge. Undoubtedly the best UK cycle forum, just don't stray into Commuting - all a touch aggressive in my view!!

Good luck, let us know how you get on

One other point. Are you aware bike prices drop significantly in the autumn as old ranges are cleared out in readiness for the spring?

I switched to a road from a hybrid last year. Again kept the hybrid for touring. Got a bianco from ribble, with a compact. As I'm used to the triple the compact is at the lower end making it close to the bottom ring of the compact but gear change is so much smoother.

I went to ewood cycles for my hybrid, they would not let me test it which is strange as most good bike shops will no problem. Decent service but it put me off going back this time.....

Why would anyone want to ride a bike....................................

..........because of 13 miles of closed Manchester roads, including the Mancunian Way, beautiful weather, 7000 like minded people and the sheer joy of the occassion.

This is the finest organised mass ride in the country, next year do it, if you ride a bike without question do it.

Thank you Manchester

Edited by Paul

At the risk of starting to sound like I know what I'm talking about, its more I know where to look, the Attempt was re-branded as the Peloton for 2012. http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/2012-cube-peloton.86372/

The link you posted said it was available as a triple. For real opinions on this, any other bike and a wealth of advice have a browse on http://www.cyclechat.net/. People on here really know their stuff and are more than willing to share that knowledge. Undoubtedly the best UK cycle forum, just don't stray into Commuting - all a touch aggressive in my view!!

Good luck, let us know how you get on

One other point. Are you aware bike prices drop significantly in the autumn as old ranges are cleared out in readiness for the spring?

Yes Paul, missed about the triple, brain turning to mush after too long looking at my screen.

Can't seem to find one, anyway.

Looking at this now,

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=cube%20peloton%20race&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CIYBEBYwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cube.eu%2Fen%2Froad%2Fperformance%2Fpeloton-race%2F&ei=cJ7PT439Lcbh8AOEteDuDA&usg=AFQjCNFElZUR4hUF2y5NqtPT2lMFprF97w&cad=rja

Rang Winstanley's at wigan, they not got one in my size but are contacting Cube and will get back to me tomorrow.

Also looked at this from Broadgate Cycles but doesn't come in a triple

http://www.broadgatecycles.co.uk/bikes/road/cannondale/cannondale-caad8-tiagra-2/

Looked at this too from Fulwood Cycles in Preston, but they have none in stock and said it may be 'a few weeks' before they have any.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=giant%20defy%202%202011&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CH4QFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.giant-bicycles.com%2Fen-gb%2Fbikes%2Fmodel%2Fdefy.2%2F7842%2F45447%2F&ei=0bLPT5zbHPSS0QWussnJCw&usg=AFQjCNGjrn5N5-AOoSExtTdathYI6p-1Nw&cad=rja

Am considering waiting till autumn but the bike I really want (cube) maybe difficult to get then.

Any input still much appreciated.

Edited by david_daft

It is a beautiful looking machine!

From what you've written this bike will only be used for road riding, your hybrid would be used for touring or knocking about town etc? Roamin's post made me think about this, you should get a double. Why?

The range of useable gears on a double is not that much different from a triple especially as some combinations of front and rear on a triple are so close as to be almost identical. On a triple although in theory you have 30 gears available in practice you probably use 10-12 regularly. With a double you'll use about 10.

On a double you get a better progression through the gears making your riding smoother and better.

The gear change is simpler and smoother.

A double will make you a better, stronger rider provided you ride mainly on the big ring. I'm not sure how to compare the gearing but most people ride a triple on the middle ring moving up and down the rear cassette. With a double if you ride on the small you won't get enough speed, using the big ring, which is a higher gear than the triple middle, increases your speed and quickly improves your strength. I doubt you would spend much time using the big ring on a triple. This approach means you have all of the gears on the small double ring in reserve.

The last point would be you haven't had a triple road bike before so you probably won't be aware of the difference and therefore won't miss it. Initially I missed my granny ring but until writing this now realise I haven't needed it for months. The granny ring is really only used for brutally steep hills and perhaps the comfort of knowing it's there. I have yet to find a hill I can't climb on the double, Winter Hill near Chorley is the steepest I regularly go up without a problem.

I'm not a good climber and haven't tested this on any brutal hills but then unless you're a rider who hunts out big hills to climb why worry? If you do want big hills you'll be good enough to get up anyway?

Some riders don't like doubles because they have to make a "double change" under some circumstances, That is shifting from the big to small ring and changing the rear almost simultaneously. The argument is the drop from large to small is too great and interrupts the rider's rhythm. When I first heard of this I played around with it and what I found is there are few situations where it's really necessary. On relatively flat roads I use the big ring and when I get into hilly areas just stsy on the small.

Get a double, it will be better!

Edited by Paul