BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Academy Hopefuls

Published: Thursday, 26 May 2011

Rovers Academy Hopefuls

by Kelbo

As the end of the season is with us, I felt it appropriate to have a look at some of the younger players who could make an impact and push on in the new season. We have seen the Reserves perform well and take the Barclays Premier Reserve League North title before being beaten in the national final by Chelsea on penalties, which suggests we have some handy players waiting in the wings for opportunities to push on to first-team football.

With much help from Parsonblue, here are my tips for players to look out for next season. Of course, I could be wrong and no doubt come this time next year, some will have fallen by the wayside. But some will have pushed on and yet other new players will have emerged.

A season ago I really rated right full-back Jackson Ramm, but he hasn't pushed on as much as I thought he would. Indeed, in the final against Chelsea, Welsh under-19 full-back Adam Henley was preferred to Ramm despite his favoured position being left full-back. Henley is quick, gets forward well, can tackle and looks like he is one to really look out for next season.

The performance of Micah Evans against Manchester City Reserves at Hyde a couple of months back was outstanding. He showed pace and power and was clearly motivated against his former club. However, like so many in the Academy and Reserves, consistency has been a problem. He seems to be being groomed for a wide position and next season is a big one for him as he has to establish himself as a regular with the Reserves. He certainly hasn't caught the eye like Olsson did when he was with the Reserves, but, then again, both Jemal Johnson and Sergio Peter looked outstanding at that level and look what happened to them.

Others who have caught the eye this season include forward Osayamen Osawe, who first came to the fore as a 16-year-old, making the youth team and coming off the bench to score in his first game, centre-back Matthew Pearson and Irish midfielder John O'Sullivan.

It does indeed appear as though there is quite a bit of optimism and talent within our academy at the moment and credit must go to Academy manager Phil Cannon and his team, who are obviously allowing these players not only to develop, but progress through to the reserve team and hopefully they will follow the likes of Jones, Hanley, Lowe, Gunning and Morris, who all look to have decent futures in the game.

* This article is published to the main news site here.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next season is a huge season for Hanley. He's played a few first team games this season and made his Scotland debut last night. If he isn't in Kean's plans to push for a first team place then I'd like to see him get loaned out to a club in the Championship and play a full season to gain that vital experience.

It will be interesting to see which academy players make the step up to reserve team level and impress on a regular basis. They've seen so many players get first team opportunities so they know they've got a chance if they impress.

Good luck to them!

Pearson started of the in youth team and within a month or two was bumped up to reserve level and has played nearly everygame thier since, Henley to have displaced Ramm who was thought to be a great prospect is interesting. i dont think osawe will make it, he is an athlete but needs to be more consistent IMO and needs to become more clinical. Robbie Cotton who is currently in year 11 in school was given a squad number and on the bench for the QPR game. he could be a big big prospect. whilst Jamie Maclaren has had a great season in the under 18's and has made a fair few reserve games.

My 5 to watch out for:

Matthew Pearson

Jackson Ramm

Adam Henley

Jamie Maclaren

Robbie Cotton

Notable Mentions:

Hugo Fernanez

Filip Pivkovski

Does anyone have any updates on how Zac Alley is doing? Every time i read a reserve match write up he seems to have scored or been very influential. How would those in the know rate him in terms of distance from the first team? Maybe Carling Cup appearance or something.

Does anyone have any updates on how Zac Alley is doing? Every time i read a reserve match write up he seems to have scored or been very influential. How would those in the know rate him in terms of distance from the first team? Maybe Carling Cup appearance or something.

Zak is doing just OK, was out on loan to Morecambe but only started one game and was a bench player, not pushed on quite as much as I thought, but he played in the reserve final when we beat Man U. I had high hopes for Zak, maybe next year he will push on a bit more, I dont think he is first team material at the moment however with a pre season, who knows, Jones came through from nowhere!

Guest roverite1991

Zac Aley spends most of his time pissing about on facebook. And I should know, cos I do as well......

I saw Zac Aley play a few times for Morecambe and have to say he looked poor, he looked completely lost and missed 3 or 4 very good chances. He couldnt get into a struggling Morecambe side at the time and based on what he offered in the games I saw he is a fair way from being a regular League 2 player let alone a prem player.

Guest roverite1991

Does anyone know the name of that kid we were trying to, or had signed from the real madrid set up?

All I remember about him was that he signed for Real at 13, then moved with his family to Dubai/Qatar or somewhere in the mideast.

Wasn;t that Hugo Fernandez? (LB I think, mentioned above)

There is an interesting documentary on the BBC i player about Glasgow Rangers and their youth development system. It shows a selection of kids taken on at Ibrox from ten years ago and updates to today on how they have progressed, what went wrong and right and the consequences of failing to make the grade. First man featured is Charlie Adam.

Link here.

Dont know too much about Cotton but I really feel both Lowe and Morris are close to first team now, they are better than reserve team level thats for sure.

Isn't Robbie Cotton only just 16? I think I've seen a picture of the lad and he looks about 12! Amazing that he's been on the bench for the first team.

Isn't Robbie Cotton only just 16? I think I've seen a picture of the lad and he looks about 12! Amazing that he's been on the bench for the first team.

Probably is but I havent seen the lad play so I cant comment, Parsons or Hallows may have more of an idea but Hallows hasnt been on here for a while!

So what we are saying is the future is bright, it's BLUE and WHITE!

Hope some of the young lads get a bit of game time in pre-season and see what happens.

Looking at the Champions League final, where Barcelona had seven home-grown players in the starting XI, it would be nice if we could emulate the "home-grown" area and become a local club again, where the players have a real affinity with the club.

Archived