BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] FIFA 2012

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got the demo, Defending aside(you can change to fifa 11's defensive settings if you wish).I'm not convinced it's much different to 11, Keepers seem really poor, i've scored a fair few from over 30 odd yards.

Passing is very effective, it's almost to easy to get into scoring chances.

AI Is still poor and strength and speed will as last year dominate the online game.

I got the demo, Defending aside(you can change to fifa 11's defensive settings if you wish).I'm not convinced it's much different to 11, Keepers seem really poor, i've scored a fair few from over 30 odd yards.

Passing is very effective, it's almost to easy to get into scoring chances.

AI Is still poor and strength and speed will as last year dominate the online game.

Agree, I think it does play slightly better than last years offering. The physical contact element is a welcome addition, also had a drop ball situation when a player was injured which was a nice touch.

The new defending is taking a little getting used to, from what I can tell there is no pressing like there was in Fifa 11 (only jockey and contain). Am I missing something here? I'm not saying it's a bad thing mind could make it more interesting online if you had to actually use some skill to position your men in the right place as opossed to double pressing the man on the ball. You mentioned you could change the defensive settings Nelsta is that in the option on the demo? (360)

Dribbling is slightly better, passing is much better and the shooting is tweaked.

Overall, not blown away, slight improvements here and there but will still get it of course. Looking forward to the PES offering though.

Yea, settings > xbox controller > change defending back to legacy defending.

I noticed an exploit aswell, hold the new dribble button and opposion players will back away from you meaning you can just go up the pitch unchallanged.

Also, on the defending note, what's the point in learning the tatical defending when the defensive AI is so bad? Your defenders marking when left to cpu is shocking.

Yea, settings > xbox controller > change defending back to legacy defending.

I noticed an exploit aswell, hold the new dribble button and opposion players will back away from you meaning you can just go up the pitch unchallanged.

Also, on the defending note, what's the point in learning the tatical defending when the defensive AI is so bad? Your defenders marking when left to cpu is shocking.

Cheers. Hopefully the exploit will be plugged in the final version...

Sorry if I'm being daft here, but does the new tactical defending not effectively circumvent the atrocious AI? What I mean is if you use LB so the com jockies the player on the ball you can then manually place your other defender in a place to intercept, which to me is a fundamental shift in the way I see FIFA (i.e. Pile into the man on the ball before he has a chance to release it in previous versions). With TD, it seems to me it's almost like FIFA are saying "ok we know marking AI is poor, do it yourself".

It's an interesting concept no?

In theory you are right, but it's not just the defenders ai that's bad.you set your defense up to stop 2 strikers then midfields and wingers move to attack, and for some reason fifa has always had a problem with the midfield.there's no urgancy at all In midfield when it comes to defending

So whilst you have a striker marked and mark another with auto contain you other players will just stand and watch whilts the opposison come forward an move into space.

Are you talking about the AI defending when you play against the computer??

Surely not many people play the computer nowadays and play online?

Also the 'bug' of dribbling and they back off, wont work online and will be fixed on the actual game if its as obvious as that.

Yeah I see what you mean - it is annoying. So the Legacy defending option is going to be in the final release is it? I can imagine everyone switching that back on, which I think is a shame. They are putting in potentially fundamental differences to the game yet still leaving the old options in - doesn't give the newbies much of a chance.

Noticed you can now turn handball "on except for penalties" - a welcome addition, should have fixed it properly though even if it was to tone down the frequency.

Are you talking about the AI defending when you play against the computer??

Surely not many people play the computer nowadays and play online?

Also the 'bug' of dribbling and they back off, wont work online and will be fixed on the actual game if its as obvious as that.

I'd imagine they'd fix the dribbling bug, As for the ai, i havnt played the game online so i cant comment on that.But the ai wasnt that great online in fifa 11, so we'll have to wait and see.

Yeah I see what you mean - it is annoying. So the Legacy defending option is going to be in the final release is it? I can imagine everyone switching that back on, which I think is a shame. They are putting in potentially fundamental differences to the game yet still leaving the old options in - doesn't give the newbies much of a chance.

Noticed you can now turn handball "on except for penalties" - a welcome addition, should have fixed it properly though even if it was to tone down the frequency.

Apparently you cant use Legacy defending online, it's all the new system.

Apparently you cant use Legacy defending online, it's all the new system.

That will do for me.

Shame they dont switch off automatic help with shooting/ crossing too so it becomes much more a game of skill.

As for Handballs - they should become part of online game play.

I agree on the levels of assistance.There is no point trying to master fifa if you are going to get caught out all the time by a defender clearing a ball that goes all the way up field to an unmarked striker who's stupidly fast then scoring with that mega assisted finesse shot or a pass back.

You should be able to have a search filter to play against different levels of comp assistance.

• Backroom

Got to say I'm not a fan of the new defending system but I don't play online so I'll probably turn it off.

Weirdly I only played a couple of games of the PES demo but found myself missing the off the ball movement in FIFA

I like the new quick throws though

Had a few more games tonight with some mates, the faults I had with fifa 11 are still all present, assisted lobbed through balls from the other end of the pitch to a striker unmarked.

I want to like this game but as I mainly play online It really annoys me that regardless of actual abillity you can get beat by such a cheap thing.

Had a few more games tonight with some mates, the faults I had with fifa 11 are still all present, assisted lobbed through balls from the other end of the pitch to a striker unmarked.

I want to like this game but as I mainly play online It really annoys me that regardless of actual abillity you can get beat by such a cheap thing.

Passes like those are easy to defend, you just need to work out how.....start to use the offside trap or if against pace learn to make your defenders drop deeper. I NEVER get caught out with lobbed balls.

So that's the latest footy game for the Xbox and a multi-pack of tinned beans.

Seriously, though, that's a good deal. Well spotted. Think I'll desert the Tesco behemoth for a week.

Think you have to spend £30 on other items and that makes Fifa only £28.99 on top. So a £50 shop in total. Still not bad.

Picked it up a few days ago, lots of fun so far. The new defending takes some getting used to, but it definitely makes it feel more accomplished when you beat the big boys. I beat City twice and drew once over a 3 game period in Career Mode and was extatic. Player growth in Career Mode is a lot better too. Hoilett starts at a 76 and I'm in February of my first season and have him up to almost an 80 and he's worth over 20million.

For Career Mode players, there's much more to this than FIFA 11, scouting networks and youth academies alone make this Career Mode far better than previous versions.

Archived