BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pre-Season Friendlies

Rovers friendlies kick off next month and according to the official site we are playing both Accrington Stanley and Morecambe on July the 16th at 12.00 and 3.00 so not sure how that will work? :unsure:

On the 27th of July we are playing Aston Villa , who we seemingly haven't played enough recently :blink: .We will then be playing Chelsea or Kitchee (who?) three days later on the 30th. Both of those fixtures are in the Barclays Asia Cup and will be played in Hong Kong so I may have to take a rain check there. :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unlikely, apparently they weren't worthwhile with the numbers that turned out to them

recent years v poor turnouts.. enjoyed some great friendlies at ewood over the years..

PSV, BARCA and LAZIO spring to mind.

massive crowds (well... over 15,000) for PSV and BARCA games.. LAZIO was poor crowd due to weather.. yorke's home debut! :angry2::P

• Backroom

I dont think that was ever official by the club was it Tony?

Tom Finn didn't seem to think it was certain at all at the last FF at least.

Looking forward to pre season now.

Have tickets already gone on sale (and maybe sold out) for Stanley?

No details for Stanley yet but Morecambe is 'pay at the gate'.

I'll just do the Morecambe one, a first visit to their new ground,

Another away day added.

Killmarnock.

I remember going up there the last time we played. We were the reigning champions of the Premier League ... and were invited for the official opening of the re-vamped Rugby Park. I think we put five past them. Looking forward to going up again.

• 3 weeks later...

The Reserves opened their season with a convincing 7-1 win at Kendal this afternoon, despite going a goal down in the opening minute. It was a very young Reserve outfit that took the field against a Kendal side that had been beaten 5-1 by Carlisle United the previous evening.

It was also something of an old boys reunion as several former Ewood players were included in the Kendal side. Stuart Howson, and Liam Blakeman began the game for the home side, while Andy Bell came on as a second half sub. Also in the Kendal squad, although not on duty this afternoon, was Ciaran Donnelly. The Rovers had former 'keeper Steven Drench on duty warming up the 'keepers. I believe Drench is coaching at the Academy but continues to play for Guiseley at the weekends.

On a glorious afternoon, Kendal took the lead in the opening minute but the Rovers quickly equalised, just a few minutes later, through Aaron Doran. Micah Evans increased the lead on 23 minutes and a few minutes later the Rovers added a third when Jamie Maclaren was brought down in the area. The young Australian quickly picked himself up and calmly slotted home the penalty. On the stroke of half-time James Knowles added a fourth.

The Rovers made five changes at half-time and mid-way through the second half they brought on a further six subs so that the entire squad were given a run out. A second half hat-trick from Tom Hitchcock ensured a comfortable win for the Rovers.

The youngsters moved the ball around with confidence and the team had plenty of pace about it with young Osawe again catching the eye after coming on at half-time.

It was interesting to note that Gavin Gunning and Aaron Doran were both on duty and suggests that as they didn't go with the First Team squad to Austria, they may well be candidates for loan moves. There was no sign of Myles Anderson which suggests he has travelled with the senior squad to Austria.

Included in the Rovers team was Fergus Bell, a trialist who has come from the Glenn Hoddle Academy and who was previously with Hibernian. He appeared in central midfield in the first half but had a fairly quite game. Presumably he'll be given other opportunities to make an impression during the pre-season.

The reserves kicked off well today beating Kendal 7-1.

Not sure what kit we wore though!

It was a kit that seemed very reminiscent of the kits worn in the late seventies with red collars and cuffs. One major difference and a break with tradition was that the halves were the same on both sides of the shirt. Thus one half was white on both front and back while the other was a lighter blue than usual on both front and back.

I must admit that as a traditionalist I prefer the halves to be reversed so we end up with the usual quartered look.

Archived