BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Movie Discussion

went to watch it yesterday afternoon,,,,bloody fantastic!!!!!!!

read some slating reviews but they must of had the eyes shut because it was supurb entertainment in a sold out cinema..WATCH AT THE CINEMA AND NOT DODGY DVD ITS WORTH IT!

I saw it yesterday too (missing the 2nd half of the WC Final :huh:) and it was great! Johnny Depp was his usual brilliantly bizarre self, even - and it pains me to say this - Orlando Bloom put in a sterling performance.

Funny, action-packed and laid the groundwork for the third film nicely. My only complaint was one very ovious bit of blue-screening when Captain Jack Sparrow was fighting "the beastie". ;)

Unlikely to be watching the second because I thought the first was poor.

Might've been pretty to look at but the plot was vague, cliched pants and that's being generous.

It's a fun little comedy, not some deep drama, relax.

Unlikely to be watching the second because I thought the first was poor.

Might've been pretty to look at but the plot was vague, cliched pants and that's being generous.

JHC mate do you ever laugh or cry?

If we said it was black I'm sure you'd say it was white.

The third movie should be fun with Keith Richards playing the dad.

Sorry for being contrary on this (and on many things) but it's just my opinion.

I just detested the first. I wasn't expecting anything profound but was expecting something with a modicum of plot and less self-indulgence from certain actors.

I don't know if you've ever heard film critic Mark Kermode ranting about it but if you have, you'll know what I think of it because I agree with him totally.

But we are in a minority because the franchise has been a massive hit.

Edited by rover6

I don't know if you've ever heard film critic Mark Kermode ranting about it but if you have, you'll know what I think of it because I agree with him totally.

If that total pr!ck says it's a bad film then it must be a good laugh . The most pompous , up his own ar$e , self loving to$$er this world has yet produced .

Apologies for the language but in this case it's fully justified :angry:

Hey, he's not that bad. I don't think he takes himself as seriously as may come across.

Who ? Mark or Phil ?

orlando bloom was fantastic in it imho....and i thought it was a lot better than the 1st

Pretty good film, accept it for what it is. Didn't like the fighting on the wheel, and that silly accent on the black witch doctor type bird.

Don - is Keith Richard really in the third? (Third's already been filmed) or are you pulling my plonker ?

Sorry for being contrary on this (and on many things) but it's just my opinion.

I just detested the first. I wasn't expecting anything profound but was expecting something with a modicum of plot and less self-indulgence from certain actors.

But we are in a minority because the franchise has been a massive hit.

Its just a bloody harmless family film with no swearing or sex scenes and some people are looking for a deep plot!

Its just a bit of fun

get a life.

its fun - its not as good as the first but theres few 2nd movies that are. Still Id quite like to see how they do the third and Orlando Blooms is so wet its funny - hero material my arse

My Missus (a big orlando fan) thinks Jack Davenport (the commodore) should have been cast in the role instead of soggy tissue.

Superman next week should be excellent.

Anyone see the trailer for Miami Vice? Its got directed by currently the "best director in the business" Michael Mann - is that not just false advertising?

I really enjoyed POTC 2. Very funny in places, much better than the first. Capt. Sparrow running is the the best bit...

Miami Vice, pfft I think that should have been a period piece circa 1987, not a generic cop movie.

Edited by The Dart

Anyone see the trailer for Miami Vice? Its got directed by currently the "best director in the business" Michael Mann - is that not just false advertising?

I think it's brilliant that Mann is directing it, as he was heavily involved in the series. So far though, the ads are underwhelming. I think they picked good actors for the roles and will still be there opening weekend.

its alright I got him mixed up with Michael "Pearl Harbour as a chick flick" Bay.

I shall punish myself forthwith

Im not sure whether theyve gone the right way with it and really should be looking at the Starsky and Hutch remake / kitsch comedy and not a hard boiled thriller.

Hard Boiled - Theres a great action film

For a long time now, Kermode's reviews have been compulsive listening in the scouse citroen, when he used to be on Mayo's morning show on 1 on a thursday morning, latterly on 5 live.

I say 'have been', as he came out with some crap on Friday; the suggestion that with 'Superman Returns' there is an undertow with the american public that following the 9/11 and the release of United 93, they are surreptitiously looking for a hero to save the day in this current climate of terrorism.

What complete and utter horsesh1t. It's a blast as a big budget flick, with great special effects and a lovely shiver of nostalgia as you remember the earlier episodes.

I find with Kermode that if he thinks a films rubbish, you should take that with a pinch of salt.

However - if he says a films good/enjoyable or worth a look - hes usually right.

Quite a few other critice Ive watched the films and thought that what they said was good was utter tripe.

Thin Red Line is the one exception - its dull dull dull pretentious dullness is my humble opinion :)

Superman good then? I saw Batman Returns on sky last night - even better than the first time I watched it

Reasonable for Kermode to suggest that Superman Returns might be an allegory about the state of anxiety in the US post 9/11.

Similarly, only the uneducated might think that Deliverance is about a confrontation between backwoodsmen and city types.