Photo
- - - - -

Movie Discussion Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked (or you're not logged in)
2841 replies to this topic

#2641 Exiled_Rover

Exiled_Rover

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5114 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 19:16 PM

Iron Sky, although in no way perfect, is rather good fun

Thought it was cringe worthy myself.

#2642 only2garners

only2garners

Uefa Europa League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1952 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 21:48 PM

A few years ago I read a book A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian, about the same time I became aware of but never read another called Salmon Fishing in the Yemen which I assumed was just another bizarre book title.

Last night my wife took me to the cinema and it actually is about Salmon Fishing in the Yemen!!! Really enjoyed this funny and moving film in which Ewan MacGregor gives what I felt was a fantastic character performance. British cinema at its best - sadly of course only about ten people interested enough to view it.

As usual with these things the book is far better than the film. I enjoyed the film but it's not a patch on the book, which is really about political power and only tangentially about salmon fishing or the Yemen.

#2643 Audax

Audax

Uefa Europa League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1925 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 13:47 PM

Have a friend who really likes and plays ice hockey so on his recommendation I watched the movie "Goon", once it gets going, not too bad, the language was a bit colourful along with a few other surrounding factors which were a bit of a distraction and very silly but the sport story in itself is fairly good so that is up to the viewer as to whether they want to wade through the first 30 minutes of this stuff. See, a goon is a hockey player on your team that fights and according to the movie, fights to protect your own more talented players from the other team's goons, fighters, enforcers. I always thought an "Enforcer" was a protector and a "Goon" just got into fights, maybe make cheap shots. http://www.imdb.com/...1456635/reviews Reviews on the movie. The geography (Canada, New England, Quebec) is a bit interesting as well as this taking place largely during the winter.

Had to finally see Tin Tin, read the comics some as a kid. I thought the movie got a little to fantastic at the end. I'd have to read the old comics to see if the movie were faithful to the old comics, I've even had a Tin Tin t-shirt for several years.

Edited by Audax, 15 June 2012 - 14:02 PM.

#2644 Rovermatt

Rovermatt

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9050 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 21:59 PM

Have a friend who really likes and plays ice hockey so on his recommendation I watched the movie "Goon", once it gets going, not too bad, the language was a bit colourful along with a few other surrounding factors which were a bit of a distraction and very silly but the sport story in itself is fairly good so that is up to the viewer as to whether they want to wade through the first 30 minutes of this stuff. See, a goon is a hockey player on your team that fights and according to the movie, fights to protect your own more talented players from the other team's goons, fighters, enforcers. I always thought an "Enforcer" was a protector and a "Goon" just got into fights, maybe make cheap shots. http://www.imdb.com/...1456635/reviews Reviews on the movie. The geography (Canada, New England, Quebec) is a bit interesting as well as this taking place largely during the winter.

Had to finally see Tin Tin, read the comics some as a kid. I thought the movie got a little to fantastic at the end. I'd have to read the old comics to see if the movie were faithful to the old comics, I've even had a Tin Tin t-shirt for several years.

An enforcer protects his team mates and seeks to change the momentum of the game. A goon is a guy who barely makes the fourth line and takes cheap shots regardless of the effects they have.
“Bible camp's cancelled.

#2645 Audax

Audax

Uefa Europa League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1925 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 00:45 AM

An enforcer protects his team mates and seeks to change the momentum of the game. A goon is a guy who barely makes the fourth line and takes cheap shots regardless of the effects they have.

I agree with you, the movie seems to blur the line on this one issue. I'll leave it at that. One would need to see it. It's an over the top comedy. Indeed, the main character is more of an enforcer but the movie is called goon. Looks like most people from the website I left gave it higher reviews than I generally thought it deserved.

Thanks for the response.

Edited by Audax, 16 June 2012 - 00:59 AM.

#2646 old darwen blue

old darwen blue

Uefa Europa League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 00:18 AM

Just been to see The Dictator with Sacha Baron Cohen. Absolutely hilarious in my opinion
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers

#2647 Tom M

Tom M

World Cup

• Community Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15861 posts

• ST Block: N01

Posted 17 June 2012 - 00:19 AM

Watched two comedies tonight Bridesmaids and Hall pass.

Bridesmaids surprised me as I found it hilarious in parts

Hall Pass is an abomination of a comedy, I felt almost cheated by how bad it was
Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious.....And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

Walt Disney

#2648 Audax

Audax

Uefa Europa League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1925 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:29 AM

Hall Pass is an abomination of a comedy, I felt almost cheated by how bad it was

Bridesmaids, yes, believe that movie made a splash. Haven't seen it.

I've seen a lot of movies as we all have, I finally watched the 2007 movie from Sweden, Arn the Knight Templar. Entertaining, I tend to like the genres of Medieval, Knights, Roman Empire, etc. kinds of movies though some are duds but this one was enjoyable and big budget but not excessively gory.

#2649 K-Hod

K-Hod

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3564 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:00 AM

Got to agree on Hall Pass, thought it was very poor.
'If a chairman sacks the manager he initially appointed, he should go as well.'
Brian Clough

#2650 Audax

Audax

Uefa Europa League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1925 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 00:07 AM

Random suggestion, if you haven't seen it already try to watch apocalypto on blu ray it looks stunning and I really enjoy it. Not accurate but a good action film with great scenery and sequences

I really like Apocalypto, terrifying and fascinating. I know some of it must not be accurate. It sure shows a violent society. There was at least some of that going on.

----------

Also, a few pages back, someone mentioned "12 Angry men" I believe, the movie about a jury, I'd say that is a good compelling movie.

Casablanca is always going to be on those kinds of lists. It's alright. Schindler's list? I can see how many would appreciate it even if it's not one of my own favourites.

Edited by Audax, 18 June 2012 - 12:42 PM.

#2651 Audax

Audax

Uefa Europa League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1925 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:58 AM

A few pages back that Wolves movie was mentioned as well, "The Grey" with Liam Neeson. In those posts there was some talk about "Wolves attacks" and saying Wolves don't attack humans. I would consider an attack in a zoo to be something completely different but it sounds like a woman was mauled in a zoo in Sweden. http://www.thesun.co...-in-Sweden.html Can't really count this I suppose. Bears may not really attack humans often but if one were in its cage, it might as well of course, if there was a bear and her cubs and you encountered them. A Mother Wolf could be a similar situation too because we know Dogs are that way.

Edited by Audax, 18 June 2012 - 13:03 PM.

#2652 ABBEY

ABBEY

King Venky Hater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22738 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 21:50 PM

Just back from spidy 3d ... Well lived up to the hype. Really entertaining ... Next up cant wait for Ted.

**WARNING** grasses and babies alert..deedums..

#2653 adopted scouser

adopted scouser

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6829 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 21:08 PM

Just back from spidy 3d ... Well lived up to the hype. Really entertaining ... Next up cant wait for Ted.

Watched Ted at a conference in Leeds two weeks ago. Very funny and if you're a Queen fan like me .....

Watched all sorts of new product recently, hairs on the back of the neck ? Jack Reacher

#2654 ABBEY

ABBEY

King Venky Hater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22738 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

Jack Reacher is a film ... Awesome.
Who's jack ?

#2655 adopted scouser

adopted scouser

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6829 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:55 AM

#2656 Rover95

Rover95

Premier League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

Jack Reacher is a film ... Awesome.
Who's jack ?

It seems that Tom Cruise will be playing him. What a terrible choice IMO - if anyone's read the books you will know that Jack Reacher is approx 6ft5ins in height - not 5ft7ins. It's already put me off watching it.

#2657 ABBEY

ABBEY

King Venky Hater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22738 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

Worst choice there could be.

#2658 Rovermatt

Rovermatt

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9050 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

The trailer makes it look crap.
“Bible camp's cancelled.

#2659 ABBEY

ABBEY

King Venky Hater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22738 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

I know ! Have you read the books matt? Honestly they are real good . His character is famous for his size .

#2660 adopted scouser

adopted scouser

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6829 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 20:00 PM

The trailer makes it look crap.

The two sets of footage they showed is were fab, I can't comment on the casting as I haven't read the books. If it were true to the books he catches buses doesn't he ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

Important Legal Information

All content is copyright of its respective posters and may not be representative of the views of BRFCS Ltd, its staff, volunteers, members, sponsors or advertisers. Content on the public forums of this site is not pre-moderated. If you feel that any content is defamatory or constitutes harassment, or that it contravenes the site posting guidelines, or that it may result in the site or its owners, volunteers, users or members facing legal action, you should alert BRFCS immediately either by using the REPORT function available on every post or by sending an email to admin@brfcs.com with details of the content in question.

Note that this site uses cookies. As the site does not function without cookies, any use of the site implies consent for us to use them. Under new European law, BRFCS is required to disclose how these cookies are used. Please see our privacy policy for more information.

BRFCS Ltd. Registered in England and Wales under company registration number 07315781.