BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Givet

Baz

Emerton wanted to go for family reasons - EHDs form.had dipped - Nelsen could he play every week ? IMO, of those three, Emerton has turned out as the biggest loss.

EHD form- in your opinion.

Nelsen- club captain, top centre half, vital for relegation battle, ansolute shocker and not sure how anyone could argue otherwise.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EHD - Hoilett

Samba - Dann

Nelsen - Hanley

Salgado - Orr

Andrews - Petrovic

Emerton - Lowe

Roberts - Yak

Not a comment on whether they are better or not. Personally I think it is a mixed bag - but we have freed up room for youth players to come.through - though possibly too much experience has been lost too quickly at CH

Very misleading, DMTP.

Most of the players mentioned were at the club at the same time.

If Hoilett has replaced El-Hadji, then who has replaced Hoilett? And so on.

Also, with Yakubu, he was first choice striker when Roberts was here. I think you actually meant to say Modeste has replaced Roberts... a player who's done the square root of bugger all.

We've got rid of a whole team of experience in a year and replaced them with on the whole poor players.

That's more than a gamble, it is reckless and has risked the whole club's future for a rapid 'trimming of the wagebill', sounds like false economy to me (though any percieved benefit has been negated anyway with ridiculous agent fees).

Agreed.

This is a squads worth of players that has left under Kean

Brown

Emerton

Samba

Nelsen

Salgado

Diouf

Andrews

J jones (loan yes but had opportunity to sign at start of summer if wanted him)

P jones

Roberts

Kalinic

Santa cruz

Sure forgotten a few as well. Now that vs. players that have come in

Anderson

Riberio

Dann

Petrovic

Yak

Goodwillie

Orr

Slew

vukevic

Modest

I know which group id prefer to have in the squad. The facts are sold decent experienced players in the most part for young but poor in the most part. Being young is irrelevant when ability is not there.

Then if include players like givet, Rochina, hoilett who are either not being played due to money presumably or will be sold whatever division we're in then to me it looks like asset stripping.

Emerton wanted to go for family reasons - EHDs form.had dipped - Nelsen could he play every week ? IMO, of those three, Emerton has turned out as the biggest loss.

Jones is a huge loss - but it was outside anyones control. Indeed, getting an increased fee is one of the few things the owners have done well.

[/quote}

Don't agree about EHD----that's your construct. In my world he would have been invaluable. I don't care what reason Emerton gave for going, I would have kept him till his contract expired.Are you telling me

we give players their preferences at Ewood these days? Come off it! In that case Salgado/Nelson and Diouf would be playing.

I don't know if Nelsen could have played every game or not because we were never told the truth about his fitness. But he could obviously played some games and its not as if we are over-run with centre-backs these days is it?

In any case, he's a leader, on and off the field and plenty of us hoped he'd have a long career here once he'd stopped playing.

You'd better come up with the reasons why we are in the s*it if the owners and Kean have got it as right as you think they have.

At the end of the day we are marooned in the bottom three and have been on and off all season. It is hard to argue that the way the squad was changed round has been in anyway beneficial as we have gone from mid-table security to consistent bottom three drama.

Genuine PL quality has left the club and been replaced with a group of hopeful wannabees.

I appreciate that some work was needed to change round the squad, but way too many changes, way too soon, was always a recipe for total disaster.

Not sure I'd have kept any of theplayers mentioned above . If Emerton was your best player, for example, I always reckoned you were having a poor game. In other words, to me, he played consistently average. I have no problem in replacing ageing or crocked players-that makes sense but the problem has been in the replacements -which have all been gambles. The Yak apart-they have yet to prove decent replacements. The Youth have been given their chance (which many Rovers fans sitting around me have wanted for years) and have done really well but most of the signings have taken too long to impress enough to have a run in the first team. The balance isn't there and there have been three lost windows to achieve stability.

It's a terrible plan for a club wanting to compete in one of the best leagues in the world. OK if you're Crewe.

It's the only plan for trying to compete in one of the best, and most indebted, leagues in the world when there isn't anyone willing to put in 5-10 million a year every year, which there isn't for us. Davies, Whelan, Coates, Al-Fayed et al have put in how much between them since the Trust cut off funding and sold us to cheapskates?

It's the only plan for trying to compete in one of the best, and most indebted, leagues in the world when there isn't anyone willing to put in 5-10 million a year every year, which there isn't for us.

We haven't had that input for many years and were doing fine. We didn't need to purge the squad of every experienced player we had, - Venky's chose to.

It's never worked before and as we can see, it's not working now.

It's like taking your R32 Golf in for a service and getting a Lada as your courtesy car.

I'd rather have a Lada, the R32 is a terrible motor, but I get your drift Maj.

We haven't had that input for many years and were doing fine. We didn't need to purge the squad of every experienced player we had, - Venky's chose to.

It's never worked before and as we can see, it's not working now.

We did fine only by selling Hughes's crown jewel buys and spending half of the proceeds to pay the inflated wages of the players no-one wanted to buy. But now the Hughes cupboard is bare and Ince/Allardyce/Kean didn't sign any, so our youth system is the only source of potential capital gains.

The wage bill had to be addressed back down to WBA levels, but I think we all agree not all at once. But then we are not privy to the current accounts so maybe it did need to happen all at once given the financial ineptitude shown prior to the clearout. Perhaps it was that or administration, 10 point reduction and certain vs probable/possible relegation. Wouldn't surprise me.

We did fine only by selling Hughes's crown jewel buys and spending half of the proceeds to pay the inflated wages of the players no-one wanted to buy. But now the Hughes cupboard is bare and Ince/Allardyce/Kean didn't sign any, so our youth system is the only source of potential capital gains.

The wage bill had to be addressed back down to WBA levels, but I think we all agree not all at once. But then we are not privy to the current accounts so maybe it did need to happen all at once given the financial ineptitude shown prior to the clearout. Perhaps it was that or administration, 10 point reduction and certain vs probable/possible relegation. Wouldn't surprise me.

Talking of financial ineptitude, fancy having 40 million immediately wiped off your turnover by getting the club relegated. Frightening.

I think I am also correct in saying our current accounts show an 18 million trading deficit. Good job the club finances are in much safer hands now.

Personally I find all the reiterating of their past crimes tiresome - it happened and can't be changed. All that counts from now is what happens next. Our new Finance Director can't just sit there saying, "Well all this shouldn't have happened, bunch of clowns" etc. Solvency must be a real issue now.

Riberio - Signed to boost our profile in Brazil apparently. Don't think many Brazillians knew about Riberio let alone BRFC

Modeste - Not really had a chance but its only a loan and he will go no doubt.

Simon Vuksevic - Gutted loved this player before BRFC however his absence from the 16 is a mystery.

Jordan Slew - Signed as a pparently a promising youngster... wait and see.

Scott Dann - Has his faults and is an average CB but we were crying out for a new cb i believe we paid less than 3 million? Pay penuts you get ...

EHD - Loved him, hardly set Donny on fire though has he?

Emerton - Big loss, was my favorite player, so versitile and its what we lack now and his energy.

Orr - Done ok tbh solid if unspectacular.

Salgado - Allot of us agreed he was past it but we gave him another 12 months... Was a mistake and our treatment of him has been awful, footballing legend who loves BRFC.

P Jones - Wanted to go ,good money like Samba and buy out clause activated, Venkys for once did right.

Radoslav Petrovic - Believe it or not was on the radar of many top european sides, hasn't worked out yet but he's young time is on his side.

MYLES - Strange transfer and its apparent why we signed him surely on nothing though.

Nelsen - Gutted he went but was a high earner and injury prone perhaps it was for the best, but getting rid of Samba id have kept it him till the end of this season.

Goodwillie - Dissapointing but an average SPL player staright in the Prem see Garry Ocoonor and youl see what i mean.

Santa CruZ and Jones - One failed one did well however both should have signed Cruzy on another loan and Jones here permiantly, missed his box to box style all year.

Kalinic and Andrews - Agree with both had to go Andrews was disrupting the changing room, and Kalinic we got good money for lets face it a failiure.

Considering we had Samba, Nelsen, Givet and Hanley, why were we 'crying out for a new CB'?

Start of the season Nelsen injured long term, Givet was playing as a LB, Allot of people thought Hanley shouldnt have been near the 16.

"Scott Dann - Has his faults and is an average CB but we were crying out for a new cb i believe we paid less than 3 million? Pay penuts you get ..."

Actually we werent crying out for a new centre back. We had Samba, Nelsen, Givet, Hanley already signed. We were only crying out for a centre back if we knew some of them were going and would be leaving quickly. I am sure Dann was attracted by the promise of playing alongside these players, not instead of them!

How much did we pay for Dann? 3 million? Are you sure?

If anything less than 3 million is peanuts and buys total monkeys, then please let me know how much all the other new signings cost individually. It may explain the poor performances of many of the monkeys this year.

Don't agree about EHD----that's your construct. In my world he would have been invaluable. I don't care what reason Emerton gave for going, I would have kept him till his contract expired.Are you telling me

we give players their preferences at Ewood these days? Come off it! In that case Salgado/Nelson and Diouf would be playing.

I don't know if Nelsen could have played every game or not because we were never told the truth about his fitness. But he could obviously played some games and its not as if we are over-run with centre-backs these days is it?

In any case, he's a leader, on and off the field and plenty of us hoped he'd have a long career here once he'd stopped playing.

You'd better come up with the reasons why we are in the s*it if the owners and Kean have got it as right as you think they have.

I think you need to wind your neck in a little - at no point did I say they had it right

"JW said a long time ago that our wage bill was too high - he wasn't prepared to put our Premiership safety at risk by attempting to address this. It would seem that our owners feel they can address the wage bill issue - but at what risk - we will find out in May (and possibly beyond as attendances continue to drop)."

Doesn't sound like saying they have got it right.

Emerton - I agreed he was a huge loss - I was more than a little surprised they let him go when they did. At not point did I say what they did was right or wrong - I don't know his personal issues in wanting to move back to Oz or how it left him emotionally. I find it a little surprising that many call the club for lack of respect to long standing players like Nelsen - and yet they also appear to being called for what was a significant gesture to Emerton.

Archived