Photo
- - - - -

Givet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked (or you're not logged in)
301 replies to this topic

#101 roverandout

roverandout

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4530 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 16:38 PM

petrovic has been ###### so has dann, neither of them have 'improved' us!!!

#102 onlyonejackwalker

onlyonejackwalker

Uefa Europa League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1187 posts

• ST Block: 01

Posted 06 April 2012 - 16:41 PM

"Scott Dann - Has his faults and is an average CB but we were crying out for a new cb i believe we paid less than 3 million? Pay penuts you get ..."

Actually we werent crying out for a new centre back. We had Samba, Nelsen, Givet, Hanley already signed. We were only crying out for a centre back if we knew some of them were going and would be leaving quickly. I am sure Dann was attracted by the promise of playing alongside these players, not instead of them!

How much did we pay for Dann? 3 million? Are you sure?

If anything less than 3 million is peanuts and buys total monkeys, then please let me know how much all the other new signings cost individually. It may explain the poor performances of many of the monkeys this year.

Edited by onlyonejackwalker, 06 April 2012 - 16:42 PM.

"Simon was the main man, a fantastic player. In the box he was deadly and only needed one touch". Bobby Saxton.

#103 DavidMailsTightPerm

DavidMailsTightPerm

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3938 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 19:09 PM

Don't agree about EHD----that's your construct. In my world he would have been invaluable. I don't care what reason Emerton gave for going, I would have kept him till his contract expired.Are you telling me

we give players their preferences at Ewood these days? Come off it! In that case Salgado/Nelson and Diouf would be playing.

I don't know if Nelsen could have played every game or not because we were never told the truth about his fitness. But he could obviously played some games and its not as if we are over-run with centre-backs these days is it?

In any case, he's a leader, on and off the field and plenty of us hoped he'd have a long career here once he'd stopped playing.

You'd better come up with the reasons why we are in the s*it if the owners and Kean have got it as right as you think they have.

I think you need to wind your neck in a little - at no point did I say they had it right

"JW said a long time ago that our wage bill was too high - he wasn't prepared to put our Premiership safety at risk by attempting to address this. It would seem that our owners feel they can address the wage bill issue - but at what risk - we will find out in May (and possibly beyond as attendances continue to drop)."

Doesn't sound like saying they have got it right.

Emerton - I agreed he was a huge loss - I was more than a little surprised they let him go when they did. At not point did I say what they did was right or wrong - I don't know his personal issues in wanting to move back to Oz or how it left him emotionally. I find it a little surprising that many call the club for lack of respect to long standing players like Nelsen - and yet they also appear to being called for what was a significant gesture to Emerton.

#104 Mattyblue

Mattyblue

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7485 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 19:12 PM

I think you need to wind your neck in a little - at no point did I say they had it right

"JW said a long time ago that our wage bill was too high - he wasn't prepared to put our Premiership safety at risk by attempting to address this. It would seem that our owners feel they can address the wage bill issue - but at what risk - we will find out in May (and possibly beyond as attendances continue to drop)."

Emerton - I agreed he was a huge loss - I was more than a little surprised they let him go when they did. At not point did I say what they did was right or wrong - I don't know his personal issues in wanting to move back to Oz or how it left him emotionally. I find it a little surprising that many call the club for lack of respect to long standing players like Nelsen - and yet they also appear to being called for what was a significant gesture to Emerton.

No, the issue with Nelsen is letting go a vital player, Im sure he isn't arsed about being 'disrespected' by the club considering he's playing for Tottenham.

Edited by Mattyblue, 06 April 2012 - 19:12 PM.

#105 DavidMailsTightPerm

DavidMailsTightPerm

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3938 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 19:13 PM

I await with interest.

Then you will be waiting along time - because at no point did I say they had it right.

Its amazing - say anything that can be construed in the slightest way as being positive - and you are automatically deemed as pro-Kean and pro-Venky's. I have been a Rovers fan for over 30 years - and will view each player,result etc on its own merits and won't be swayed by the witch hunts that seem to go on this message board.

Edited by DavidMailsTightPerm, 06 April 2012 - 19:17 PM.

#106 DavidMailsTightPerm

DavidMailsTightPerm

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3938 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 19:25 PM

No, the issue with Nelsen is letting go a vital player, Im sure he isn't arsed about being 'disrespected' by the club considering he's playing for Tottenham.

A quote for you :-

"Can't ay I disagree with you Hughesy, Salgado, Roberts, Nelsen all past their prime, ergo those contracts were absolutely ridiculous."

Letting Nelsen go, with hindsight, was daft. However - it was at the end of the European transfer window when it looked like Samba was staying (whether he liked it or not) - so you could argue we had 4 good centre-halves. Personally it was still a risk given Samba's state of mind at the time.

IMO Nelsen had been in decline for over a season - as age and injuries caught up with - but his experience, even just on the training ground to help Hanley and Dann - would have been valuable.

#107 John

John

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10982 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 19:26 PM

Not sure if it is ideal for any team, particularly one struggling, to let both their captains leave in the same transfer window.
It is amazing what can be achieved when no one cares who gets the credit.

#108 Kendalrover

Kendalrover

Premier League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

• ST Block: Was W04

Posted 06 April 2012 - 20:18 PM

I think most people would agree that giving improved extended contracts last January (with built in guarantees of future contracts) to players like Roberts, Nelson, Salgado and Dunn and the massive contract to Samba was nothing short of stupid (same about Dunn's improved contract this year).

It was nothing more than a blatant attempt to buy loyalty for an unpopular regime and manager. The contracts could also have generated some healthy payments for others.

It is actions like these that question the motives of the current regime and whether or not they are acting in the best interests of the club. These are serious concerns and certainly there are a whole host of questions that need answering about the governance at the club.

Of course we know this will never happen. We may have to wait years but I am sure that the truth will eventually come out.

#109 savage90

savage90

Premier League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 21:56 PM

My guess tomorrow now that he has 'recovered' is... unused substitute.

Edited by savage90, 07 April 2012 - 22:35 PM.

#110 DavidMailsTightPerm

DavidMailsTightPerm

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3938 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 22:04 PM

My guess tomorrow now that he has 'recovered' is... unused substitute.

The rumours may or may not be true - but we heard the same rumour's about Robinson when he was injured - also before Givet got injured Hanley was dropped to accommodate Dann, when surely Dann is on a bigger play bonus ?

Over the next couple of games, Kean has to freshen up the squad - for an away match Givet is ideal at left back - we all wait with bated breath :rover:

Edited by DavidMailsTightPerm, 06 April 2012 - 22:05 PM.

#111 47er

47er

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7174 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 23:04 PM

I never used the phraise 'they got it right"!!!!!!!

I said "so much right' in your opinion because you defend them at every turn.

You're wrong about Diouf, its not a smack in the face to tell Emerton "we need you a little bit longer" and the way Nelsen was treated was an absolute disgrace.

Why are we in the bottom 3 by the way?

Edited by 47er, 06 April 2012 - 23:09 PM.

#112 Exiled in Toronto

Exiled in Toronto

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3448 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 23:59 PM

and the way Nelsen was treated was an absolute disgrace.

Oh for the days when everyone was treated with dignity and respect, such as Tony Parkes reading over his cornflakes he was sacked after 30 years loyal service, and Roberts not being given a squad number after being 2nd highest scorer the year before. I'm sure they are both disgusted Nelsen was given a free to join a top 4 club.

#113 savage90

savage90

Premier League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 00:20 AM

The rumours may or may not be true - but we heard the same rumour's about Robinson when he was injured - also before Givet got injured Hanley was dropped to accommodate Dann, when surely Dann is on a bigger play bonus ?

Over the next couple of games, Kean has to freshen up the squad - for an away match Givet is ideal at left back - we all wait with bated breath :rover:

Dann's pals with Kean, the thing with Givet is he's one of the few experienced pro's we have left, he's seen the club in it's better state. Birmingham City was generally poor in comparison to Rovers, Dann will be grateful to be here in the premier league. I think it's plausible that Givet is either unsettled with the regime or that his already large contract has healthy appearance fees. I hope i'm wrong and that it has just been a 'niggle', fingers crossed he has a key role in the run in. I'm just sceptical cause covering up truths with injuries is Kean's party trick.

#114 glen9mullan

glen9mullan

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2280 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:35 AM

Sams line up for his final game in charge against Bolton lost 2-1

Robinson, Salgado, Nelsen, Samba, Givet, Diouf, P Jones, Gamst, Emerton, Olsson, Roberts, Subs Bunn, Hanley, Hoilett, Dunn, Kalinic, M, Diouf Benjani

Kean's last line up against United lost 2-0

Robinson, Orr, Hanley, Dann, Olsson, Gamst, Nzonzi, Olsson, Lowe, Hoilett, Yakubu Subs Bunn Modeste, Formica, Rochina, Petrovic,Dunn, Henley.

Questions.

1. Which team would be more likely to win today?

2. Which team is worth more?

3. Which team if they played 38 games would finish higher (Using all 17 players) ?

4. Which squad with 7games to go would you rather have to try and keep you up,

Things to take into account.

1. Sams team is under the walkers trust with no investment

2. Kean's is under Venkys with more money made available to him in in 12 months than any previous manager the club has had.to tweek his squad
"Better to try and fail, than to never try at all"

#115 Mattyblue

Mattyblue

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7485 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:52 AM

Oh for the days when everyone was treated with dignity and respect, such as Tony Parkes reading over his cornflakes he was sacked after 30 years loyal service, and Roberts not being given a squad number after being 2nd highest scorer the year before. I'm sure they are both disgusted Nelsen was given a free to join a top 4 club.

I agree, Nelsen wasn't treated badly at all, he's got a good move. It is us poor mugs seeing player after player leave that are repeatedly smacked in the face.

#116 47er

47er

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7174 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:15 AM

You are being deliberately disingenuous! First of all re Nelsen, his poor treatment lies in the fact that he was fit and never selected because the club wanted him out. Furthermore, they lied about it.

Secondly you are using the "broad-brush technique" in an attempt to demonstrate a status quo that never was.

2 examples of what you feel is poor conduct in the past (2 episodes separated by 3 to 4 years incidently) cannot be held to prove that nothing has changed and the club has always behaved in this way.

Do you really believe that? :wacko:

#117 Stuart

Stuart

Bald Eagle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14223 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

Tony Parkes finding out like that - assuming that's true - yes, very poor.

Roberts falling out with Sam - well it takes 2 and Roberts did want to leave. If anything it's amazing man-management that meant Roberts actually played again under Allardyce.

Yes, the thing with Nelsen is being blown out proportion and, yes, he got a good move whilst allegedly being forced out. However, after the loyalty and service he had shown it's churlish that a short note thanking him for his years of service to the club wasn't posted on the club website. In my opinion, the fact such a simple and cheap act wasn't shows carried out deliberate contempt.

Besides all that the difference now is that we have the most dignified man in the world at the helm. It should have been easy for him.

"TEAM - Together Everyone Achieves More!!"

#118 John

John

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10982 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:44 AM

Many would say Roberts played his best football at Rovers during that time.

Even though poor at least the club apologised for the Parkes episode - that funny thing called good communication.

You can continue to make digs at the trust and previous ownership/management, however the results on and off the pitch during their time in charge speak for themselves.

Edited by John, 07 April 2012 - 07:46 AM.

It is amazing what can be achieved when no one cares who gets the credit.

#119 47er

47er

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7174 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:44 AM

Tony Parkes finding out like that - assuming that's true - yes, very poor.

Roberts falling out with Sam - well it takes 2 and Roberts did want to leave. If anything it's amazing man-management that meant Roberts actually played again under Allardyce.

Yes, the thing with Nelsen is being blown out proportion and, yes, he got a good move whilst allegedly being forced out. However, after the loyalty and service he had shown it's churlish that a short note thanking him for his years of service to the club wasn't posted on the club website. In my opinion, the fact such a simple and cheap act wasn't shows carried out deliberate contempt.

Besides all that the difference now is that we have the most dignified man in the world at the helm. It should have been easy for him.

Nelsen got a good move for one reason only---he's a good player. This bit isn't poor treatment, just poor judgement.

#120 Stuart

Stuart

Bald Eagle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14223 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:54 AM

Nelsen got a good move for one reason only---he's a good player. This bit isn't poor treatment, just poor judgement.

You've made some great points recently but my beef is his treatment upon leaving. Even if Kean and Nelsen have fallen out, there should still be a statement of thanks from 'the club'.

What you need to be careful of is arguing speculation as fact. Who's to say Nelsen declared himself fit and was left out? What's happening with Salgado suggests it is likely but not certain.

Either way, what Kean does appear to be guilty of is ######-poor man-management skills.

"TEAM - Together Everyone Achieves More!!"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Important Legal Information

All content is copyright of its respective posters and may not be representative of the views of BRFCS Ltd, its staff, volunteers, members, sponsors or advertisers. Content on the public forums of this site is not pre-moderated. If you feel that any content is defamatory or constitutes harassment, or that it contravenes the site posting guidelines, or that it may result in the site or its owners, volunteers, users or members facing legal action, you should alert BRFCS immediately either by using the REPORT function available on every post or by sending an email to admin@brfcs.com with details of the content in question.

Note that this site uses cookies. As the site does not function without cookies, any use of the site implies consent for us to use them. Under new European law, BRFCS is required to disclose how these cookies are used. Please see our privacy policy for more information.

BRFCS Ltd. Registered in England and Wales under company registration number 07315781.