BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Givet

Baz

This morning's LT reports that Givet did not refuse to play on Saturday, he was dropped from the squad after a "heated" exchange of words with Kean at the hotel pre-match. Kean has lost control of the dressing room, when you have arguments pre-match with key players then the result is that you get performances ala Saturday.

Thanks Kamy. Makes sense.

Would explain the complete malaise and lacklustre performances since the Sunderland win. Makes sense that now that relegation appears a certainty, the dressing room may well have had enough of the obvious lack of transparency in the way the team is picked/played and subs made/not made, and realise that they themselves are being played as pawns in a parachute payment game by the owners - and that its their careers and reputations on the line.

Ties in well with the current Conspiracy theory thread - an apparent deliberate loss to Liverpool in order to facilitate relegation and hence the owners being able to quietly exit, slinking out the door un-noticed (face-saved in India) without Premier League scrutiny, but with all parachute payments to recoup their original investment. It just seems more and more obvious.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just read Andy Cryer's articles. Seems there are two sides to the story, eh Mr Kean? I would suggest that the only individual in the wrong frame of mind for the match - and has been throughout his tenure - is old Stevie. Why? Because for whatever reason he seems incapable of dealing with strong characters in his dressing room (and isn't that one of the most vital skills a successful manager needs?). Let's look at the evidence. Strong characters: Diouf, Andrews, Nelson, Samba, Salgado (and probably more that I haven't the time to think of just now). Where are they now? Case closed, m'lud.

Please don't tell me you actually believe that line from Kean ?? It's obvious that following in the footsteps of EH-Diouf, Samba, Emerton, Nelsen et al that Givet has been earmarked by the owners and manager as the next experienced, high-earning, non-conforming player to be given the chop and Kean is merely preparing the way for his departure. Givet also provides a convenient excuse for Kean for the inept display at Swansea. Kean is a football poltical animal ....he didn't get a Premier League job without deserving it by not knowing every trick in the book.

Rovers fans are in the process of getting a rapid course in the realities of how dirty football is.

Visible Exhibit 1: Steve Kean

The LT article makes it pretty clear to me that Givet WANTED to play and Kean wasn't going to put him in the starting XI! Givet did a full warm up with the players pre-match to rub the point home.

Clearly Kean has lost many of the players through his inept management and noxious personality. Or I hope that is the reason.

Steve Kean is a walking talking PR spinning machine. The senior players who rightly won't conform to his disastrous managerial reign are pushed to side, said to be not mentally right, don't play and all to the detriment of the team. Steve Kean can't manage these players, because they know what he is like. They have seen the way he has behaved, the way he has treated players, the lies he has told and how he has dismantled the playing squad and are not willing to tow the party line. The decisions to let Samba and Nelsen in January have, as we all said at the time, proved to be suicide. Kean is able to use these players 'not being in the right frame of mind' as yet another excuse to why the team is under performing. He doesn't have the decency to admit that he has gotten it wrong. I don't for one minute think that Givet and others don't want to play for Rovers and think they just have a serious problem with Kean. They remember what the club was like two years ago and they see what a mess it is now.

• Backroom

This morning's LT reports that Givet did not refuse to play on Saturday, he was dropped from the squad after a "heated" exchange of words with Kean at the hotel pre-match. Kean has lost control of the dressing room, when you have arguments pre-match with key players then the result is that you get performances ala Saturday.

There was also a massive row in the changing rooms after the match - seems the positivity Kean bangs on about is disappearing rapidly as the players finally realise under this bald idiot we are screwed.

Clearly Kean has lost many of the players through his inept management and noxious personality. Or I hope that is the reason.

I always had the feeling that Kean was a soft touch with regards to the players and has tried to become more of a friend than a manager.

In the past we have seen players under performing and then when someone else gets a chance and takes it, they are dropped back to the bench. Simon and Bunn both came briefly into the team and both out performed players in the same position and yet both were dropped as soon as. Ok you can argue Robbo is our number 1 choice keeper but he was pretty poor in the first half of the season and Bunn did well (certainly at Anfield)

Maybe this was another reason to have forced out some of the senior players. Nelsen, Givet, Salgado and Roberts were not the best players but they were top professionals who would have given 100% everyday. They would not have agreed with Kean being everyone’s pal all the time, a manager needs to be able to lay down the law when needed. Senior players like Givet who have played under decent managers, will have probably spoken out against this style, as it has clearly led to poor performances, to which Kean has responded by freezing them out or giving them away. The younger players will probably be loving the lack of discipline around the place, all the while knowing that chances are they will find another premier league club next season.

I don't think Kean has any authority, looking at the Swansea game, N'zonzi got hammered by a couple of players for giving the ball away and he shrugged his shoulders, knowing he would face no wrath from his boss after the game. The total lacklustre performance as a whole shows that the players do not fear any kind of repercussions from their manager. Robbo and Dunny were the only 2 to come out with any credit as they were the only 2 on the pitch who probably care.

All this makes for dreadful reading. Those who say we should just cheer on the team should wake up.

There is no way that fan's support can counter-act the incompetence and deceit with which we are owned and (mis)managed.

We had a squad perfectly capable of staying up and they have squandered it.

Not too difficult to figure out what happened.

Givet was clearly p!ssed that he was being benched again, despite Kean's assurances there are no contractual issues, and the fact our current backline goes down faster than a Thai hooker. So Kean decided to hang him out to dry and continue to hide behind the owners's cost-cutting measures. You know, a lot of managers would feel they were in an impossible position if they were forced to shun one of their best and most experienced defenders for the sake of a few quid. They would most likely resign if they felt their own employer was preventing them from performing the best possible job. Not Kean. He doesn't care who he sells down the river: Nelsen, Salgado, Samba, Givet. Pfffft... None of them are bigger than the club Steve Kean.

No coincidense that coco go's into overdrive to fall out with one of our remaining good and experienced players a day or two after a visit from the owner's (con artists) is it. The reason? why there's probably about 35 thousand of them per week :mellow:

I always had the feeling that Kean was a soft touch with regards to the players and has tried to become more of a friend than a manager.

I know that some players didn't like Allardyce, but they ALL respected him.

Seems no-one likes, much less respects Kean at all. If Givet has stood up to him and given him a piece of his mind then well done Gael.

Shows what a tosser Kean is when he puts his own feelings above the safety of the club by omitting Givet.

You know, a lot of managers would feel they were in an impossible position if they were forced to shun one of their best and most experienced defenders for the sake of a few quid. They would most likely resign if they felt their own employer was preventing them from performing the best possible job. Not Kean. He doesn't care who he sells down the river: Nelsen, Salgado, Samba, Givet. Pfffft... None of them are bigger than the club Steve Kean.

And that in a nutshell is why the press and everyone else has got it wrong on Steve Kean. If he was this greatly dignified and principled character, why then does he remain in the job? He could resign, stating the unworkable situation he has been put in by the owners. But no, he carries, smiling like a big eejit, declaring that all is well and that soon he and the owner's view of a new and improved Rovers will kick in.

And that in a nutshell is why the press and everyone else has got it wrong on Steve Kean. If he was this greatly dignified and principled character, why then does he remain in the job? He could resign, stating the unworkable situation he has been put in by the owners. But no, he carries, smiling like a big eejit, declaring that all is well and that soon he and the owner's view of a new and improved Rovers will kick in.

So many different scenarios.

For me Kean was in it for the start and is just up to his neck in it as the rest of them. Couple that with the fact that he is on a massive wage and will probably never get another job in football and those are reason enough for him to never quit.

I was arguing with a couple of the locals the other day (one plastic manc and one lifelong rover). They were both adamant kean was not to blame.

Even when I explained that he had backstabbed, cheated and slanced his way into the job and continuously lied and shown complete contempt throughout his tenure, they were of the opinion that they could not blame him for being selfish and putting himself into the position and not leaving it even though acting as a puppet to the Venkys.

Quotes such as;

'If someone offered me 2million a year to do all that he's done I would do it to' 'He has no affiliation with Rovers'

Incredibly frustrating to hear people saying that. IMO I will never have any sympathy for a man who has played a huge part in the destruction of my club.

Sensational press stories sell papers, so for the press the longer Kean is in post the more mileage they'll get out of it hence why I think they're probably appearing to side with him, it's just feeding the ego - don't think he's quite worked that out yet - but no matter how we all feel it'll come back around at some point and he will be left sad, and lonely, and looking for work in the lower leagues, it's surely not going to end well for him now his "fall" from grace could be quite messy...

I stand by my comments of months back, in that a really well run club would control every aspect of their media output or certainly demand fair coverage in relation to incidents or have an ass-kicking figure al la Ferguson at (spit) Utd.

Anyway here's a link for wee Stevie http://www.greatleadershipbydan.com/2011/03/im-your-boss-not-your-friend-10-reasons.html

Why are the press saying Givet refused to play when even Kean said he didn't refuse but "was not in the right frame of mind"?

PA spinning bull? Fancy that.

The extent to which some will twist a story to avoid showing Kean in a bad light is quite extraordinary.

Graham Clutton writing in the Daily Telegraph and the Daily Star today goes with the 'Givet refused to play' angle. This is despite the fact that he has a direct quote from Kean saying that "I'm not saying he doesn't want to play" !

He must have assumed that if Kean says something then the opposite must be the case.

I'm sat here just banging my head in frustration.

This is the same Givet the Keanius has proclaimed as the 'warrior' - how on earth can Kean slander Givet's reputation by saying he wasn't right for the game?

Steve Kean you amaze me - just when I think things have got as bad as they can you find another depth to drag us down to.

I'm also fuming at BBC sport for not presenting a balanced story - My link - but we should be used to that by now

If Givet is not in the starting eleven on Saturday I hope the whole ground calls for him as loud and long as possible.

"We want Givet. We want Givet..... Kean out. Kean out". Repeat ad infinitum.

Archived