BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wolves V Rovers Preview

WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS VERSUS BLACKBURN ROVERS - Saturday 10th March

It's 10 months since both Rovers and Wolves avoided relegation on a dramatic, euphoric day at Molineaux. Somewhere there may be a parallell universe that split from ours at this point. In this alternate reality Steve Kean was outed and an up-and-coming manager was appointed. Venkys gave us the 'biggest transfer budget we have had for a long time'. Phil Jones was retained and there was no need for marquee signings - an Onuoha here, a Sebastian Larsson there, an inspired return for Craig Bellamy. Even the free signings like Djemba Ba had potential. The feel good factor returned to Ewood. The Rao brothers loved their new standing at Ewood, their toy now becoming their obsession.

Unfortunately we happen to live in the other split - the one where the manager lies to and criticises the fans to save his skin, the owners have no interest and put no money into Rovers, and the players are either jumping ship or walking the plank on a monthly basis. Fans clash with fans and secret meetings and covert recordings are becoming the norm. In fact it is a testament to the club as it was under the previous regime that, despite the complete mismanagement off the pitch and the tactical ineptitude on it, we are still with a chance of survival. It's also probably lucky that in other seasons we would be marooned by now. Last year for example after 27 games our current total would have been 6 points from safety.

Anyway, on to the Wolves.

CONNECTING PLAYERS

There's not a huge amount of notable players that have played for Rovers and Wolves over the last 30 years that spring to mind. However one who played a big part in Rovers' history was Mark Atkins. Signed from Scunthorpe in the summer of '88, Atkins was employed primarily as a right back - and in the opinion of most Rovers fans not a very good one. His stuttering career at Rovers reached it's lowest point when he inexplicably scored THAT own goal - turning a harmless cross into his own net in injury time to give Liverpool and undeserved FA Cup replay. When the investment came and Daglish took over many thought Super Atko's days were numbered.

In fact it is huge credit to Dalglish and Harford that Atkins career then blossomed. I can't recall when the decision to push Atkins into midfield was made but it was inspired. The first year back in the Premiership he played 24 times as Rovers made a big impression in the top flight. Following David Batty's arrival the following season, Atkins could only manage 8 starts. However in 94/95, with Batty curtailed by his injury problems, Atkins was an unsung hero of the Premiership winning team making 38 appearances and scoring 6 times.

Looking back it is somewhat a suprise that Atkins was sold to Wolves so soon after winning the league. In September 95 he was off to Wolves for £1m where he made 115 appearances. His career then slowly faded away via York, Doncaster, Hull and Horrogate Town but his contribution over at Ewood during the early Walker years should never be forgotten. Atkins can currently be found managing Matlock Town who play in the same league as the Flitcroft managed Chorley.

Mark Atkins LT interview

OPPOSITION VIEW

In order to get a view from the opposition I sent a series of questions to Clockwolf from the forum over at www.the-wolf.co.uk. Thanks to Clocks for his time in answering these.

In my opinion as an outsider, it was only worth sacking McCarthy if you wre bringing in another proven manager. To sack him and replace him with backroom staff seems Venky-esque. What's your take on the Wolves management changes?

I was apprehensive at first, in all fairness I thought TC should have gone when MM went, but a point away at the Toon has at least given us a bit of hope.

After the euphoria of the last few minutes of last season, did you expect to be in another relegation battle this season?

Once the transfer window had passed, yes. I think most Wolves fans realised then that we were in for a tough season.

Doyle, Fletcher and Ebanks-Blake would be an awesome Championship strike team. Do you feel they are solid Premier League forwards or is that an area you would look to improve?

I think a club should be looking to improve in EVERY position all the time in an ideal world. Fletcher and Doyle IMO are PL players, only Matt Jarvis would I add to that very short list.

Scott Dann and Roger Johnson were a highly regarded centre back pairing at Birmingham. We paid decent money for Dann and so far he has been disappointing. Did you get the good one?

I think they played well as a centre half pairing, maybe splitting them up wasn't the best idea.

Who's your best player that we may not fully be aware of?

We have a full back (Doherty) who looks promising, we'll see.

Best and worst days as a Wolves fan?

Best - Promotion to the Prem as Champions v QPR, Sherpa Van Tropy winners 1988 Wembley.

Worst, relegation in 2004, losing in UEFA Cup final v Spurs at home in 1972.

In your opinion, have the Rovers fans been over the top against Steve Kean and Venkys?

Steve Kean yes, Venky's no.

Do you think the general football fan aware that the protests are about far, far more than performances on the pitch? Has that message been conveyed across by the press?

Yes I think so.

Are there any players left at Rovers that you wish were in the Wolves team?

Pedersen, like I say, my other half is a Rovers fan and ex STH. I've watched Rovers loads of times and I would take Pedersen all day long, class act.

Your prediction for the game next Saturday.

1-1 draw.

Which 3 teams will get relegated?

QPR, Wigan, Wolves.

AND FINALLY

What were Wolves fans opinions of Mark Atkins as a player?

Yep, great player, 100% every time.

THE GAME

March has been seen as a critical month for Rovers and the draw to Villa was not the start that we hoped. We have put in some decent away performances without getting the results so far this season. However, worryingly most of these were pre-transfer window and our last two journeys away from Ewood have seen us completely capitulate at Arsenal and City. I can't predict the result at all. My heart can see us winning and putting a buffer between us and the bottom three. However my head tells me that we have only won 1 game away from home for a reason, and that a point is a more realistic result. I think we all just hope that, regardless of the situation off the pitch, the players give their all and compete on it.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent preview, Hasta. I want to live in that parallel universe!

However,

WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS VERSUS BLACKBURN ROVERS - Saturday 10th March

CONNECTING PLAYERS

There's not a huge amount of notable players that have played for Rovers and Wolves over the last 30 years that spring to mind.

how could you have forgotten Wolves' youngest-ever captain whom we recently, er, "pointed" ;) in the direction of WBA? While some may have implied that Andrews was "not able", he's surely "notable"! :D

I think this'll be a very nervy game; it's fascinating that their fan reckons they'll go down. I can imagine they'll be very jittery, especially if they lose later this afternoon at Fulham because, if that happens, we'll swap positions.

As a glass-half-full fan [again!], I reckon that, not only can we pinch all three points, but keep a clean sheet for the first time in almost a year.

Provided, that is, Baldrick picks a sensible team. If I were picking the team, I think I'd go for:

Robinson; Orr, Givet, Dann, Martin Olsson; Vukcevic, Nzonzi, Lowe, Rochina, Hoilett; Yak.

However,

how could you have forgotten Wolves' youngest-ever captain whom we recently, er, "pointed" ;) in the direction of WBA? While some may have implied that Andrews was "not able", he's surely "notable"! :D

Never mind him, how can the greatest player ever to grace both shirts have been forgotten??? I refer of course to the incomparable Waggy.

Robbo

Orr Hanley Givet Ollson

Hoillet Lowe Dunn NZonzi Ollson

Yak

Or

Robbo

Orr Hanley Dann Givet

Ollson Lowe Dunn Nzonzi Ollson

Yak

Need to drop pederson, the guy offers us nothing, and the opposition constantly breeze past him. The less said about petro the better. Get Lowe in for him.

Hoillet just doesn't seem to look interested at all so that's why I put up the 2nd team.

As for the fella in the other thread saying Dann is better than Grant because people would pay more for him, well his knowledge of football is probably that of a toddler! Does that mean Kalinic is better than yak? petro better than Nzonzi? Give it a rest.

Most of all I just want to see a performance where the players give 100% unlike that first half where we played lefargical, lazy and uninterested. Kean gave little to no motivation on the sideline (useless) which is why he has to change the team to include some players who will actually try and can motivate themselves ala Dunn, Lowe, Givet.

Looking at my 2nd team we could even drop Dann put Givet in the centre and Henley at full back. I'm just really not comfortable with Scott Dann at centre back.

Never mind him, how can the greatest player ever to grace both shirts have been forgotten??? I refer of course to the incomparable Waggy.

Sorry my Rovers memories start around the time of the Chelsea Play-Offs. Waggy is just a name on the back of some of my dads old programmes. tongue.gif

• Backroom

5-0 down currently and they look bloody awful, pressure massively on them next weekend which could play into our favour.

A win would be gargntuan

5-0 down currently and they look bloody awful, pressure massively on them next weekend which could play into our favour.

A win would be gargntuan

That's how it's finished and they now have a goal difference 4 worse than us. They MUST be there for the taking next Saturday! Come on you blues!!

Everytime I resign myself to relegation a chink of light appears in the shape of how bad other teams are. Wolves were terrible today. On the back of that, I'm gonna predict a 2-1 win to Rovers with home fans playing as our 12th man.

My team would be -

Robbo

Lowe Hanley Givet Olsson

Junior Nzonzi Peds Olsson

Dunn

Yak

Team for me next week - Robbo, Orr, Hanley, Givet, Martin, Hoillet, N'zonzi, Lowe, Marcus, Dunn, Yakubu. We have to go after them from the start as there confidence is bound to be shaken.

What with the dross of Bradley Orr at full back, a very poor Desperate Dann at centre half, only one ninety minute decent central midfielder in the team, the half arsed, shall I, shant I today, Junior Hoilett, and only one decent striker in the Yak plus restricting Martin Olsson from playing further forward.

Wolves are going to have to be in one big sorry mess for them not to be able to beat Rovers. For me they might not be that good, Wolves, but I just cant see them being that bad to not be able to dispatch of a very poor Kean Rovers team.

Optimism and confidence of some Rovers' fans never ceases to amaze me.

So Wolves got hammered today 5-0 and will be desperate against Rovers ?

So feckin what - Rovers got spanked 7-1 at Arsenal and next match were desperate against QPR and won 3-2.

We will lose this match as Coco, yet again, will IMO get his tactics wrong.

I'm going for Wolves by at least 2 goals.

The defining game of our season.

WIN at all costs and we have a good advantage over Wolves. A 3 point gap and a further added bonus of goal difference that will probably be worth another point.

Lose and we are down because Wolves will have the impetus.

I think Rovers have to go for it because wolves wont lie down like they did today.

0-1 Rovers

I think like a few others have said we just have to go at Wolves. We're crap at defending, trying to contain teams, holding onto leads etc, so we might as well not even bother. We've just got to hope that Yakubu has his shooting boots on and that Hoilett can be arsed to do anything, that'll give us a chance.

Its a cup final. Dunn should start as he's massive these games, I change him with Petrovic, Put in Lowe in the centre with Nzonzi and we will win.

Robinson

Orr, Dann, Hanley, Olsson

Hoilett, Lowe, Nzonzi, Pedersen, Dunn

Yakubu

I think like a few others have said we just have to go at Wolves. We're crap at defending, trying to contain teams, holding onto leads etc, so we might as well not even bother.

From today's Daily Telegraph: "To a club that defends so poorly, there can be only two words of comfort: parachute payments."

They're actually talking about Wolves, but...

I think like a few others have said we just have to go at Wolves.

I reckon Wolves will be thinking exactly the same as this and will be going at us hell for leather, there could be a few goals in this game due to the fact that both teams are hopeless at defending.

I just hope the team from the second half of the Villa game turns out and not the one from the first half, if so I believe we can just about edge it but it won't be for the faint hearted.

Wolves 3 Rovers 4

Archived