BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Community March

Mark1875-It's now roughly 48 hours since the march, I have a couple of questions.

1. Do BRAG have an indication of roughly how many attended? More or less than was hoped?

2. Do BRAG consider the event a success? If so in what ways? What objectives were achieved, if any?

3. I witnessed several marchers drinking alchohol on route. Did the march route go through any Alchohol Prohibited areas? I beleive drinking is banned on Blackburn town centre streets.

4. Are there any more events planned before the end of the season?

Thanks in advance.

I am not part of BRAG etc but to your point 3. Yeah the towncentre is alcohol free on the streets from where canterbury street meets darwen street just before the bridge. The person that had alcohol could have meet the protest along the route or didnt open the beer till afterwards.

Otherwise the police should/could have done something about it.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not part of BRAG etc but to your point 3. Yeah the towncentre is alcohol free on the streets from where canterbury street meets darwen street just before the bridge. The person that had alcohol could have meet the protest along the route or didnt open the beer till afterwards.

Otherwise the police should/could have done something about it.

I went to the march and quite a few people bought their beer from an off license on Bolton Rd. Didn't really see anyone drinking on the streets of the town center.

I went to the march and quite a few people bought their beer from an off license on Bolton Rd. Didn't really see anyone drinking on the streets of the town center.

We met up with the march outside the old Savoy building and some lads already had cans of beer by then.BRAG can't tell people what to do but they might want to remind people of how things could be perceived for future events.

Mark1875-It's now roughly 48 hours since the march, I have a couple of questions.

1. Do BRAG have an indication of roughly how many attended? More or less than was hoped?

There was a few hundred who had indicated they would definitely march and upon arrival at the town hall this figure was certainly present. We grew in numbers as the route progressed and the number of people in the march upon entering the stadium was pleasing. From a personal point of view it was less than I hoped, as I do hope for mass numbers however it was roughly around, if not more than what was expected.

2. Do BRAG consider the event a success? If so in what ways? What objectives were achieved, if any?

The march itself was organised for both the supporters and the community to get a message across, in a peaceful well organised manner and to this extent it was considered a success. We are particularly pleased with the backing given to the event, together with the speech at the start by Maureen Bateson whom has been A Councillor for the Ewood ward for almost 30 years and is a former Mayor of the borough. The number of first time marchers was pleasing together with the positive reception received from supporters passing by and lining the streets outside the ground. Overall it was a good natured march inclusive of families and different age groups. The club and the police have once again praised the conduct of those taking part and they themselves where very surprised by the turnout.

3. I witnessed several marchers drinking alchohol on route. Did the march route go through any Alchohol Prohibited areas? I beleive drinking is banned on Blackburn town centre streets.

We cannot and do not police members of the public and there was a police presence monitoring things all the way and not once did they feel the need to intervene in the march or the stewarding of it. However from an honest personal point of view, it was disappointing to see.

4. Are there any more events planned before the end of the season?

The situation regarding future plans is fluid and any developments will be discussed and relevant press releases made. The group are continuing to find ways to resolve the problems within the club. In addition to this the committee has a meeting in Liverpool with the Spirit of Shankly group this week.

Thanks in advance.

We met up with the march outside the old Savoy building and some lads already had cans of beer by then.BRAG can't tell people what to do but they might want to remind people of how things could be perceived for future events.

Your right about how things can be percieved. It would have been better if they had left the cans of beer alone, till after the march. As seeing the pictures, it does not LOOK good.

Your right about how things can be percieved. It would have been better if they had left the cans of beer alone, till after the march. As seeing the pictures, it does not LOOK good.

It's England! People can't have birthday parties for their kids without having booze for the adults. It is totally essential for any social situation...

I bought a can from the off license on Bolton Rd just a little just a little further down the road there was Rovers fans outside infirmary pub drinking in the st. I don't know why people are picking up on others drinking. Because someone is having an alcoholic drink doesn't automatically make them a hooligan or what ever u want to perceive them as. I think some people need to get out more and have a drink themselves rather than pick up on a few people having a drink whilst walking with mates/fellow supporters

Next time you want a few drinks can the protesters please have a few more , jump into cars, drive down the motorway at 80mph and chat to each other on your mobile phones,then lie in court, that's an acceptable image for the club nowaday's according to the press, media and club owners, and then you can all join the League Managers Association and be role models..

I bought a can from the off license on Bolton Rd just a little just a little further down the road there was Rovers fans outside infirmary pub drinking in the st. I don't know why people are picking up on others drinking. Because someone is having an alcoholic drink doesn't automatically make them a hooligan or what ever u want to perceive them as. I think some people need to get out more and have a drink themselves rather than pick up on a few people having a drink whilst walking with mates/fellow supporters

It's not the drinking that is the issue it is the images that come from it.

If people see people holding beers in pictures then the protests instantly lose their effectiveness and you just see them as thugs. There are enough slack jawed looking types in those photos as it is! It is GCSE level PR.

a few lads had a beer, so fooking what.?

lets forget the turmoil these indian monkeys have caused, just because someone enjoyed a drink during a protest. You dont have to be perfect, to get your point across and personally i prefer those who are willing to display their real character, even if that includes enjoying a beer in public. Certainly opposed to those who try so hard to discredit others, while trying to maintain a facade and hiding behind the oh so fashionable political correctness.

seriously, if a picture of a grown man drinking a beer, is enough to make someone forget the havoc the V´s have caused and discredit the protestors, then its not the protestors who have a problem.

Deleted my post. Didn't mean it to come across quite as intended.

The truth of the matter is that if you want a protest to be seen as serious in the wider community then you have to carry the same professionalism into it that you would do in a workplace. For the most part the public perception of the protestors is that they are poorly educated troublemakers. Enforcing a stereotype by walking down a street carrying a bottle of Stella chanting about bad Indians, probably isn't the right way to go about it.

I can't imagine important protests throughout history being as effective if people wore tracksuits and gripped tightly to their Budweiser.

I may come across as a snob but whether or not you want to believe it doesn't help our cause. At the moment there are a maximum of 800 (??) protestors? From what I have heard, many people are still frightened to be associated with them. The more mild mannered fan may be more likely to join in if the men that perhaps can't go 30 minutes without drinking stayed at home? Just a thought.

Think BPF is being rather snobbish again, wasn't it him dismissing protesters as 'manual workers' the other month?

I apologized for and explained that.

a few lads had a beer, so fooking what.?

lets forget the turmoil these indian monkeys have caused, just because someone enjoyed a drink during a protest. You dont have to be perfect, to get your point across and personally i prefer those who are willing to display their real character, even if that includes enjoying a beer in public. Certainly opposed to those who try so hard to discredit others, while trying to maintain a facade and hiding behind the oh so fashionable political correctness.

seriously, if a picture of a grown man drinking a beer, is enough to make someone forget the havoc the V´s have caused and discredit the protestors, then its not the protestors who have a problem.

There is something very sad about that. The notion that someone needs alcohol to have a 'real character'.

I may come across as a snob but whether or not you want to believe it doesn't help our cause. At the moment there are a maximum of 800 (??) protestors? From what I have heard, many people are still frightened to be associated with them. The more mild mannered fan may be more likely to join in if the men that perhaps can't go 30 minutes without drinking stayed at home? Just a thought.

To be fair, i don't think many people are 'frightened' by them, just that they don't think they are effective.

For me, the biggest thing to come out of Saturday was the thousands of fans chanting agianst the owners and their stooge.

Yet, what did MOTD pick up on? 'just 300 fans marched again today'.

There is something very sad about that. The notion that someone needs alcohol to have a 'real character'.

quit being a smartass and trying to manufacture an argument that isnt there.

i never wrote anything remotely close to, "that someone needs alcohol to have a 'real character'". I wrote if its a part of their character, i prefer them to show it and be honest about it, rather then some cultural elitist snob like you, who pass judgement based on something thats irrelevant, just to show how political correct they are.

beer and football go hand in hand, nothing sinister or remotely spectacular about that and certainly not enough the label the protestors as thugs, hooligans or untrustworthy.

quit being a smartass and trying to manufacture an argument that isnt there.

i never wrote anything remotely close to, "that someone needs alcohol to have a 'real character'". I wrote if its a part of their character, i prefer them to show it and be honest about it, rather then some cultural elitist snob like you, who pass judgement based on something thats irrelevant.

I don't think it is irrelevant and that is clearly an opinion that will divide many. We shall just have to agree to disagree.

For the most part the public perception of the protestors is that they are poorly educated troublemakers.

I would say the person who believes this perception is the problem, as they clearly do not take the time to go and find out the facts. What the protesters are in reality is a group of concerned and upset football supporters.

Enforcing a stereotype by walking down a street carrying a bottle of Stella chanting about bad Indians, probably isn't the right way to go about it.

Lets not talk like all the marchers were drinking alcohol it was a very very small number and no this does not justify anything before you ask, i've made my comments on it previous.

To be fair, i don't think many people are 'frightened' by them, just that they don't think they are effective.

For me, the biggest thing to come out of Saturday was the thousands of fans chanting agianst the owners and their stooge.

Yet, what did MOTD pick up on? 'just 300 fans marched again today'.

Nothing frightening seeing loads of people marching, many with their children :o

Archived