BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Broadband help

Bit confused; on my laptop the built-in wireless card is only a 'g' so to try and benefit from my 'n' router I've bought an 'n' wireless USB adapter. Right, when I look at the connection speed for the built-in card it's 54 MB and the USB adapter is 130 MB so I'm presuming the USB adapter is better but when I do the online speed tests the card is showing a download speed of 20+ Mbps yet the USB adapter is a pathetic 1.5 Mbps. What's going on and what's better?

Speed is maximum 60MB, getting around 22MB on the built-in card today and around 35MB on my phone.

Was thinking about the USB ports, they are 2.0. I did delete them yesterday and reinstall them but still the same result.

Try using a physical network cable between your laptop and your router then run the speed test. It should prove if the problem is your wireless connection or not. Have you tried any other wireless devices to your wifi too? You can connect most modern smartphones via wifi, and can download the speedtest app for free. This should prove if the problem is your laptop or wireless connectivity.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. It was the USB, my laptop has standard USB ports so that was the limiting factor. My phone is now much faster than my laptop! I need a new laptop, new thread coming up..

If you specify a budget and whether the laptop's for basic functions (basic office type stuff, light gaming, heavy gaming, etc.) then I might be able to point some things out.

Just bear in mind that Windows 8 should be release in October. I'd hang on until then if possible.

Thanks for the reply, I have started a new thread for the laptop but I have got one after asking around.

• 1 year later...

Archived