BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Why do the media hate rovers fans and love kean?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His agent has a large sports agency which has most of the pundits on their books?

This.

And that the majority of the press see us as a gang of inbred, 7-fingered Cletuses whose intellect spans no further than being able to count the number of doors in our row of Council houses.

Its the easy option for them all.

Why go out on a limb for little Blackburn,just go with the flow boys.

But booth surely they can't all be given bribe money

Who mentioned bribe money,they are just sitting on the fence and not upsetting the boss Anderson.

Because none of them wants to be the one that breaks ranks first.

The whole Football media environment is built on back scratching and "believing" in their product, all their glamour and riches falls away as soon as they admit there's incompetence.

For some reason this doesn't apply to national managers...

The protests got too personal. Simple. Even I felt sorry for Kean during the Bolton home match. It took the spurs game to finally get the media on side.

What's personal about them? The fact his name's Steve Kean?

As for your question, Abbey. I think there's more than one contributing factor here. Yes, there's Kean's connections in the media for starters which have been able to influence the talking heads at Skynet. There's the fact the protests made a martyr out of him, since most armchair pundits and journalists jumped on the bandwagon when other managers gave him a vote of confidence. And of course there's the fact that Blackburn Rovers are pretty much a nonentity in the mainstream media. Even at the best of times we'll be lucky to grab a good word from the media that isn't through gritted teeth. People see us a small-time club who's found its place in the football food-chain and Kean is simply fighting against the tide, despite steering us into the storm in the first place.

Morton - where has it been personal? This has been said before, but I disagree. The stick he got v Bolton is no different than Mcleish/Bruce/Hodgson have had this season, and any manager would get if they were as bad as Kean.

The protests got too personal. Simple. Even I felt sorry for Kean during the Bolton home match. It took the spurs game to finally get the media on side.

It's absolutely nothing to do with protests getting personal, not that they are any more personal than other clubs chanting for their manager to get sacked. I don't see Villa fans getting vilified, or even Arsenal fans for their abuse of Wenger.

Likewise a friend from London thought it'd got too personal till I showed him the facts, about Kean taking his kids into tough press conferences, about the block on banners and the press asking difficult questions both post and pre-match, and that Jerome Anderson was sweetening the media for Kean. Funnily enough a few Burnley fans I know don't blame Rovers fans one bit. I suppose the closer to Ewood you are, the more you know about it. Perhaps it's because you're all that way down South.

Bull... So why is ok for wolves, vilaa and Leeds to protest and not us.... Personal abuse is setting fire to the managers wife .. Not kean out or time to go

• Backroom

Anyone who thinks the protests got "too personal" have simply been conned by the media machine. Other than a few sparse incidents it has never gotten personal with Kean, it's always been about his professional ability to perform as Rovers manager. Kean has been the only person spinning it any other way in the media, using his good buddy Jerome and the Soccer Saturday panel to champion his cause.

Most of the national football writers are from the south and / or are supporters of so-called "big" clubs and they hated a small inconsequential "northern" club suddenly becoming rich and successful in the 1990s. With our relatively small support we also don't sell newspapers. The Sky / BBC antipathy is largely for the same reason.

Anyone remember Gary Lineker's shameful remark on "They Think It's All Over" when we relegated in the late 1990s ?

"Shame Blackburn went down," he said.

Every time I watch MotD (which isn't often as I only watch when we win) I am reminded of that comment.

Most of the national football writers are from the south and / or are supporters of so-called "big" clubs and they hated a small inconsequential "northern" club suddenly becoming rich and successful in the 1990s. With our relatively small support we also don't sell newspapers. The Sky / BBC antipathy is largely for the same reason.

Anyone remember Gary Lineker's shameful remark on "They Think It's All Over" when we relegated in the late 1990s ?

"Shame Blackburn went down," he said.

Every time I watch MotD (which isn't often as I only watch when we win) I am reminded of that comment.

That's why and summed up perfectly, Jim! :rover:

Kean could have avoided all the venom, by being a man - growing some ###### and admitting he's not up to the job.

Unfortunately he is a self indulgent prick, happy to take the coin whilst ripping apart 137 years of proud tradition.

I f****** hate hime & Venkys.

Give them Hell. :angry2:

RTID

I'll repeat what I've said before.

Clubs like BRFC should expect to struggle and should expect to have managers 'learn their trade' with them.

Those on the media gravy train will know Stevie from coaching badge courses, from the Surrey scene, from SEM get togethers, from golf 'pro-ams'. 'good lad is Keano, deserves his chance'.

The professional journos took no notice of BRFC pre Venky's so imagine that we were in a relegation battle every year, and still if they go down it'll be a chance for a West Ham to come up.

Villa? Everton? Arsenal? Sunderland fans? Big clubs, they have every right to complain, it's all about the fans at the end of the day init?

Archived