BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Why did the Darwen End turn on the Riverside on Monday?

Why early on in the game did the fans in the Darwen End decide to have a pop at their Riverside counterparts for not standing up when the Darwen End were singing stand up if you give a @$%£? One of the worst experiences I have had as a Rovers fan, I've had a seson ticket for 25 years and never been as angry with my own "fans" mainly instigated by the yellow tee-shirt brigade unless I'm mistaken.

With age comes wisdom.

At the time, when a 'stand up' if you hate..... Was sung, the Riverside didn't budge.

Emotions were high on Monday, not an excuse, just think a few got carried away.

I was back / middle of the Darwen end, their is an angry mob element, small minority, would imagine they are embarrassed now and sorry if they offended anyone.

We all love our Rovers, we all have different ways of expressing our love.

This for me,has been a key issue with Coco's tenure he has actually managed to turn fan on fan. With his 1% rubbish, "majority" "real fans" etc. Everybody knows the Riverside is not rockin so normally there would never be an issue. Just Kean has managed to get under people's skin.

• Moderation Lead

I sit in the DE, and although the atmosphere is largely good, it is populated with some bell-ends who can't accept others don't want to sing like they do...

With the greatest respect... the darwen end (and the BBE) were singing 'stand up...' and the whole of the riverside just sat on their collective arses, this at a time when VISIBLE anti-kean support was needed from every corner of the ground to show the pri@k how everyone felt.

By not standing it could be said (and indeed it was) you were 'supporting' Kean by your collective apathy and that is why the chant of 'your support is f $h1t'.

As for your 'the yellow t shirt brigade' comment... it's nice to see where your loyalties lie.

@nick123... 'angry mob element... small minority'??!!... no Nick, it's called support (the whole reason why the Darwen End is at capacity every game).

@khod... isn't the main point of the Darwen end nowadays to be vocal and as such... if you don't want to sing why be in there? There's plenty more places where you can sit and spectate.

@Tom... predominantly the 'singing' part of the DE is populated by the younger crowd and as such... full of the enthusiasm of youth. Not every chant is going to hit the heights but at least they are there... singing their hearts out.

All credit to everyone in the Darwen end, they've kept the anti Kean and anti Venkys message going all season and thats to be applauded :tu:

The same things going on in the Darwen end used to take place in the bburn end, nothing new, same gripes etc, but these lads/lasses do a great job for me, keep it up, sod the complainers and critics :tu:

Why early on in the game did the fans in the Darwen End decide to have a pop at their Riverside counterparts for not standing up when the Darwen End were singing stand up if you give a @$%£? One of the worst experiences I have had as a Rovers fan, I've had a seson ticket for 25 years and never been as angry with my own "fans" mainly instigated by the yellow tee-shirt brigade unless I'm mistaken.

I don't sit in the darwen end .. Do elaborate on the yellow tee shirt brigade.

This for me,has been a key issue with Coco's tenure he has actually managed to turn fan on fan. With his 1% rubbish, "majority" "real fans" etc. Everybody knows the Riverside is not rockin so normally there would never be an issue. Just Kean has managed to get under people's skin.

Bloke next but one to me was furious when the Venky's Out / Kean Out chanting started. Don't know what medication he was on but it didn't manage to stop 50% of the JW Upper from joining in at one point. btw 45% were shifting uncomfortably in their seats wanting but not daring to join in, whilst 5% appear to be dead.

Barry_

Nothing wrong at all with support.

Some of the supporters in the Darwen end are very very confrontational, fact !

Saw it with my own eyes on Monday and all season. There is an element in that stand rightly or wrongly have a mob mentality. I know many people will want to pull me up and this, but I'm afraid it's a fact.

I'm totally behind getting this shower out of our club, I have myself been frisked as has my daughter getting into that stand. Im more than aware the Darwen end has been viewed and still is viewed by the club as the hot bed of the protests.

Going to stick my head out here now. I've renewed, there I've said it.

What I have done is not renew for the Darwen end. The reason being I do not enjoy some of the elements that go with watching my Rovers from that stand.

I will continue to protest from within the ground next season, should this lot still be here, with today's news and more news to follow in the coming weeks I feel they won't be here.

What few of us that are left following Rovers home and away next year should stick together and push this club forward. We are finally getting our point across, the intimidation element will detract from the good work being done at the moment.

In reply to your comment Barry, I was saying a small angry section of the Darwen end have a mob mentality. The large section of the Darwen end are on the whole fantastic at keeping the protests goin in and I hate to use the word 'positive' manner.

Its still OUR Rovers....because of the 'soul' and history of the Club.

It remains with Duggie,Dave Whelan,Dunnie and the memory of Uncle Jack,Peter White and all those generations of Rovers Supporters. That can never die. We are the original 'town' Club,and quite different from the City Clubs.

We just have to wait for 'the bodies of our enemies to float past us on the river' MAO

Whilst I don't think singing ' your support is f***ing ######' at your own is ever acceptable, I must defend the Darwen Enders, and give them credit for their brilliant support this season, it has sounded louder than the Blackburn End many times. I'm afraid that you will always get some over the top content with a vociferous singing crowd but as long as it is not racist, sexist, homophobic.......mmmm...think there may be awhile to go yet before it's non-sexist, but keep up the singing and protesting, lads.

From an apologetic, Riversider.

I, and quite a few others in the Riverside, were on our feet for that chant. There was also loads of chanting throughout the game. If there were people not getting into the spirit of things I didn't see them, but then again I was getting on with what I was doing and watching the game.

I was sat in the Riverside and was made to feel like a bit of a numpty when I and a few others around me started to get vocal, fortunately I'd had a skin full so didn't give a toss.

I think there were a lot of passionless fans enjoying a cheap 2 games for 15 quid deal who wouldn't usually have been there.

With the greatest respect... the darwen end (and the BBE) were singing 'stand up...' and the whole of the riverside just sat on their collective arses, this at a time when VISIBLE anti-kean support was needed from every corner of the ground to show the pri@k how everyone felt.

Well I'll let you into something, I stayed sat down on this occasion even though I would have liked to stand up. Reason being that the last time I stood up in the Riverside I was the only one in our bit. Thankfully a few other people stood up but then we were treated to a large bunch of people shouting at us to sit down.

This time I just kept it to singing anti-Kean/Venky's songs as I didn't want to get into a stupid debate again. Good thing too as two guys sat nearby to us stood up and ended up in a big argument with some fans behind saying they couldn't see the game which almost led to steward intervention, but thankfully it calmed before they got to them.

It either works if everyone does it, and if everyone doesn't it just leads to people complaining that they can't see the game. And in the Riverside there's quite a few kids so it's understandable if people's kids can't see the match going on that their parents have paid good money to get them into.

It did not stop loads of us standing up and singing in the JW Upper, and we had banners.

Steward told us to put them away, he was told to go forth and multiply and he disappeared very sharpish.

People needed to get angry on Monday and thats exactly what happened, pity it didn't happen months before, if it had I doubt Kean would have been in a job right now. How Venkys managed to sneak in and sneak out a few weeks back is criminal IMO

Everyone played their part for me, regardless of which stand you stood or sat in.

I've watched this back on a video... it was fairly brief, only sung by a handful and was not confined to people wearing yellow t-shirts!

I think it must have been a 'heat of the moment' thing on a night were emotions were very high.

The fans in the Darwen End have been fantastic again this season.

Archived