BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Colin Hendry - An Asset?

369 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want Hendry as assistant manager should Black leave?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know enough to judge

Colin Hendry, despite his gallant efforts on the pitch for the club, has managed to turn a large number of supporters against him since he walked out on the club all those years back. His recent troubles have seen him in more hot water and he comes across as a particularly unsavoury character.

So he’ll fit in well with Kean and Agnew, earn a few quid of the thick folk from Pune and hopefully get sent on his way when new owners take over.

The club is rotten to the core, this appointment, should it happen, will not help that one bit.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Such a tough one.

He was a talisman for Rovers and was very well received at the "Evening with..." session a while back (which was after his bankruptcy and associated issues, but before the revelations came to light).

Personal issues: most people on here know about the colinhendrylies.com website. It has been up for a while and doesn't appear to have been challenged. Does this make it true? I don't know but it doesn't look good. So assuming, following Denise's death, he went to a really bad place, alleged gambling, drinking and eventual bankruptcy. He probably still hasn't got himself completely straight yet and is maybe looking to get back into football as a way to cure his demons (or fund them). Everyone deserves a second chance.

Professional issues: He left Rovers. No real crime, many have done it. Footballers will always look out for number one in a cutthroat industry where the have a maximum of 20 years to make enough money to sustain them for the rest of their life. Their next (or even current) contract could be their last, and an injury could mean the end of their comfortable life and a struggle to find a decent alternative employment with no qualifications. So I don't hold that against him.

Kean: big minus here I'm afraid, another ally for Kean, and one who I suspect wouldn't dare step out of line. Could he step into the breach if Kean did go? Possibly - he does have experience in management.

Capability: we are unlikely to have any primadonnas here next year or billy-big-times (Goodwillie excepted) so he may be able to motivate some of the youngsters.

I'm under no illusions that we are going to have a very tough season next year, but it may be good to have one person who, deep down, cares about Rovers and knows about our history and the pride fans have in Arte Et Labore, rather than just some faceless SEM character.

In terms of ability and experience I would prefer to keep Black but should he go and Kean stay, and I'll probably be in the minority here (I'm getting used to it), I'd say yes to Hendry.

No chance. How Hendry can even consider working alongside or for Kean, Agnew and Venky's is beyond belief.

If you want to ruin the great memories I have of you as a player Colin then be my guest. Nothing good will come from this appointment, nothing. They are systematically destroying the club. How could you want to put your name to that? Oh, of course. £. But aren't some things in life more important?

4th Assistant manager since Kean took over?

Well somebody has to take the blame for the awful results, seeing as how the 'manager' is totally beyond blame...

I know some people will go club legend etc but personally while he was good player for us, character wise, I have little time for the man - would fit in well with Kean and Agnew....

Okay, judging from previous polls we all have to vote opposite...correct?

Yes i see what you mean. If we did it would be the only time they listened to us.

PNE Agnew- 'the fans voted for Colin, we listened and gave them their wishes'

God i hate that useless Nobber. If Kean is Bellend of the year then Agnew is the smegma around the helmet we have as a manager.

What possible grounds could people have to want Hendry here as assistant manager? Taking your emotional feelings out of it, there's absolutely no reason why we should want him anywhere near the club.

As we have seen though, the more people DONT want something to happen, the more likely it is to come to fruition. As such, everyone vote that we want him.

Wait, i've just answered my own question. :blink:

What possible grounds could people have to want Hendry here as assistant manager? Taking your emotional feelings out of it, there's absolutely no reason why we should want him anywhere near the club.

As we have seen though, the more people DONT want something to happen, the more likely it is to come to fruition. As such, everyone vote that we want him.

Wait, i've just answered my own question. :blink:

I've already explained my vote. ;)

Colin Hendry understands the passion surrounding proper supporters of BRFC, he was in the past a fantastic player for us.

He has had his personal problems since leaving and a patchy managerial record at best. But in our current situation his diehard

mentality must be an asset, whether he supports kean or not, or he is looking for a good wage he is definitely worth having

around the team ( whatever that may be ) for his basic football spirit which is unlikely to have changed in my opinion. :brfc:

In all honesty what kind of influence does a coach/assistant manager have at Rovers under Kean?

I can't for the life of me think that Eric Black, who's been an assistant for a number of years, would have looked at our situation prior to the Spurs match and decided that sticking everyone behind the ball and not attacking at all was the best way to go about winning a must win match. We carried on the same after going 1-0 down, surely Eric Black would have had a word and said we need to change our tactics etc (Bringing off our leading scorer to be replaced by a total no mark does not count)

Surely any decent manager places plenty of trust into his staff and takes on board observations of how the game is panning out?

So basically does it matter who gets the gig as their job will basically be redundant anyway? (Pretty much like everyone else at Ewood Park these days)

No chance. How Hendry can even consider working alongside or for Kean, Agnew and Venky's is beyond belief.

If you want to ruin the great memories I have of you as a player Colin then be my guest. Nothing good will come from this appointment, nothing. They are systematically destroying the club. How could you want to put your name to that? Oh, of course. £. But aren't some things in life more important?

Colin Hendry understands the passion surrounding proper supporters of BRFC, he was in the past a fantastic player for us.

He has had his personal problems since leaving and a patchy managerial record at best. But in our current situation his diehard

mentality must be an asset, whether he supports kean or not, or he is looking for a good wage he is definitely worth having

around the team ( whatever that may be ) for his basic football spirit which is unlikely to have changed in my opinion. :brfc:

I can well imagine that given what Hendry has had to cope with in his life that he's far from the man who performed heroics here at Ewood.

Grief has a funny way of completely changing people.

I'd imagine that the last thing he needs is to lose the respect of the fans who have always supported him and his family throughout the good and bad times. I see no upside for Colin in all this. (as for money being a reason, any decent lawyer would have got him to move most of it offshore before declaring bankruptcy), where it's unlikely to be touched.

(as for money being a reason, any decent lawyer would have got him to move most of it offshore before declaring bankruptcy), where it's unlikely to be touched.

Didn't he move it himself with offshore gambling? A lawyer/accountant would not necessarily see that.

What credentials or attributes does Hendry have to do the job compared to the past 3 highly trained and experianced assistants, But obviously when we have a manager without any idea of how to manage what does it matter who the assistant is, the last 18 months have proven that.

• Backroom

He just retweeted this:

@rufotron: @BraveheartCH been offered a rovers contract yet? Still waiting? Kean Anderson will do you good... Just as soon as agnew is back

Make of that what you will

Seems to me that Kean's pitch to Mrs Desai was along the lines of "I didn't have enough control, eg over transfers and team selection and there were people working against me.

That's why we went down".

Paul Agnew

Shabby Singh

Steve Kean

Colin Hendry MkIII

It's enough to make you weep. And Kean has a four game stay of execution? Don't make me laugh.

If there are any concerns over the PL and Government meetings, they aren't showing it.

Archived