BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Supporters Groups and Communities (was Blackburn United)

Sir Bill Taylor spearheading a plan to bring all Rovers groups together under the unfortunately named "Blackburn United".

Great idea in my view, well done Sir Bill.

http://www.lancashir...ackburn_United/

A GROUP of concerned Blackburn Rovers fans have come together to form 'Blackburn United' in an attempt to co-ordinate the growing frustration at events at Ewood Park.

The brainchild of Sir Bill Taylor, it is a co-ordinating group drawn from leaders of trusts, groups, forums, fanzines and websites of the supporters of Blackburn Rovers.

They met earlier this week to determine how to respond to the current situation at Rovers under the chaotic regime of Venky's.

The meeting began with an officer from each of the groups introducing themselves and the aims, experiences, successes they have had during their lifetimes.

Sir Bill Taylor, former Blackburn with Darwen council leader, said: "The group has the support of all three local MPs, Blackburn Council Leader Cllr Kate Hollern and Ewood councillor, Cllr Maureen Bateson.

"Both the Mayor and Deputy Mayor are supportive of the group's intentions. Graham Jones MP was in attendance.

"The aim of Blackburn United is not to impinge upon the work of any of these hard working groups but to work alongside them all to coordinate all their efforts.

"As individuals Rovers fans are comparatively powerless compared to the wealth and strength of the current regime running the club.

"Our strength is in the depth of our passion and commitment towards what we hold preciously and dearly.

"We only wished that Venky's would simply talk and listen to us in a mutually respectful manner.

"With some of the groups having major events imminent – the launch of Blackburn Rovers Supporters Investment Trust in King George's Hall (today at 10am) and the various meetings that the Blackburn Rovers Action Group have with the Premier League, Football League and government ministers – it was agreed to meet again after these successes to get reports back."

Any other groups can join or contact Blackburn United by emailing sirbilltaylor@ btinternet.com.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BRSIT, BRFC Action Group and now Blackburn United.

This schism isn't helping matters at all. And before anyone says "this one's different"... they're still another party supposedly representing the fans, and they're still labeling themselves.

BRSIT, BRFC Action Group and now Blackburn United.

This schism isn't helping matters at all. And before anyone says "this one's different"... they're still another party supposedly representing the fans, and they're still labeling themselves.

So what you're saying is we have too many different groups and what we need is a single group that can unite them all to make things simpler? ;)

We came to the party a little late on this one, though Ste did manage to make it to the initial meeting (just).

I've been thinking for a long time that no one supporters group would ever work, we have a wide a diverse fan base, why on earth would we expect one single group to be able to make everyone feel represented.

To me, the answer is exactly what Sir Bill is proposing. Maintaining the existing groups and communities just as they are, let them do their own thing in their own way, represent their own communities and members, but (most importantly) have a framework where all these groups can work together on the bigger issues.

From the reports I got back from the first meet-up, it's still at the embryonic stages and to my mind there are a whole huge heap of supporters groups and communities that need to be brought on board, but ultimately it seems like a first step in the right direction.

For the record, Thursdays meeting did not have a representative from BRIST, I guess they had a lot on getting today organised though.

The invite didn't go to Brist I hope!

There would be one or two confused Croatians reading the email...

So what you're saying is we have too many different groups and what we need is a single group that can unite them all to make things simpler? ;)

So I take it BRSIT & BRFC Action Group will no longer exist?

If the answer is No, then you've just proven my point. But sure, throw another splinter group into the mix. Why not?

So I take it BRSIT & BRFC Action Group will no longer exist?

If the answer is No, then you've just proven my point. But sure, throw another splinter group into the mix. Why not?

I think the answer is yes. They each continue as they are doing, but collectively known as Blackburn United.

I think the answer is yes. They each continue as they are doing, but collectively known as Blackburn United.

More bureaucracy.

So who's actually representing the fans here? All I see are different groups with different agendas.

It shouldn't take three separate organizations to represent the fanbase. If they weren't full of their own self-importance they'd realize that.

Nnnggh... aarghh...... I... uhhh... agree... with... nnnggh... PAFELL... :blink:

Ouch, that hurt.

On the upside, I think Toppers may actually be proven correct in the coming weeks. :tu::wacko::(

More bureaucracy.

So who's actually representing the fans here? All I see are different groups with different agendas.

It shouldn't take three separate organizations to represent the fanbase. If they weren't full of their own self-importance they'd realize that.

It's not self-importance that make me not realize that it's common sense and experience.

I learnt the hard way, through the FF, through BRISA, through BRFCS that one group can't represent everyone. Some people are pro-protest, some people are anti-protest, some people are pro-boycott, some are anti boycott, some try to remain neutral and end up representing nobody, hell, if you turned over enough rocks, you may find somebody the still backs the manager. Each of these groups are doing what they see fit and their members/community appreciate that, should they stop doing that? Should the BDSA stop laying on a minibus to games because they don't back BRAG's protests? Should the 500 club stop doing their charity stuff because they objected to the FF sending reps to Pune. Should BRFCS shut up shop because we refuse to back one faction over another? Of course not. I was heavily critical of the direction BRAG took, it simply didn't fit with what I felt was right. But they there are a number of people out there who DO feel that BRAG best represent them and they have a right to be represented too.Only having one group wouldn't allow that but having many groups working together would.

Traditionally these communities bonded over geography and regional branches were where supporters worked together. The internet has changed that, geography is less relevant and people are more likely to be bound by common view points rather than common post codes.

I see this initiative as a way of taking advantage of that without lessening what any one group does for their members.

PS. I hate the name too!

^ And you can't see the conflict of interest with that?

The fact 'Blackburn United' has felt the need to arise is proof enough.

What's the alternative though?

Having an independent, non-agenda group to arrange and host cross-group meetings, for example, seems sensible. Otherwise it would continue with BRAG (or other) arranging a meeting and people saying "we're not going to their meeting". At least this way meetings between the groups (although it could be argued there are too many) can be called without the need for a) the club to intervene and b)them being seen as biased towards one group.

Replace the word "group" with "clan" and it does all seem to be heading towards the script for a Braveheart sequel though - especially now we now have an official blue and white knight involved in keeping the peace...

What's the alternative though?

Having an independent, non-agenda group to arrange and host cross-group meetings, for example, seems sensible. Otherwise it would continue with BRAG (or other) arranging a meeting and people saying "we're not going to their meeting". At least this way meetings between the groups (although it could be argued there are too many) can be called without the need for a) the club to intervene and b)them being seen as biased towards one group.

Replace the word "group" with "clan" and it does all seem to be heading towards the script for a Braveheart sequel though - especially now we now have an official blue and white knight involved in keeping the peace...

How apt that I have this in my cut and paste buffer (work in progress btw)

Stay and fight and you may lose.

Boycott and you'll feel good, at least awhile.

But lying in your bed many years from now,

would you be willing to trade all those Saturdays in B&Q for one chance,

just one chance,

to come back to Ewood and tell the owners that

They can ruin the club but they will never take

OUR ROVERS!

Supporting the team HOME & AWAY

12/13 Championship Seaon Boycott Busters

RTID

How apt that I have this in my cut and paste buffer (work in progress btw)

Stay and fight and you may lose.

Boycott and you'll feel good, at least awhile.

But lying in your bed many years from now,

would you be willing to trade all those Saturdays in B&Q for one chance,

just one chance,

to come back to Ewood and tell the owners that

They can ruin the club but they will never take

OUR ROVERS!

Supporting the team HOME & AWAY

12/13 Championship Seaon Boycott Busters

RTID

Haha. Don't pretend you were already working on a script to try to cut me out of the royalties!

Needs work, darling. :P

It was actually an idea for a T-Shirt design I was hoping Perth could run with.If I'm going to have to break a picket line next season, I want to do it in style AND get across that being there doesn't mean I endorse those turning the club into a laughing stock.

It was actually an idea for a T-Shirt design I was hoping Perth could run with.If I'm going to have to break a picket line next season, I want to do it in style AND get across that being there doesn't mean I endorse those turning the club into a laughing stock.

Just grow your hair and paint your face blue and white.

I'll be gutted if I have to break a pocket line. I feel bad enough as it is!

Archived